Acura Classic 2007
Dulko and Kirilenko Spell Double Trouble For Bondarenko Sisters
Gisela Dulko (ARG) / Maria Kirilenko (RUS) d. Alona Bondarenko (UKR) / Kateryna Bondarenko (UKR) 6-4 7-6(6)
Fans who wandered over to Court 1 during the afternoon at the Acura Classic got a real treat as they got to see an exciting first-round Acura Classic doubles match.
Argentina’s Gisela Dulko and Maria Kirilenko of Russia defeated the sister team of Alona and Kateryna Bondarenko of the Ukraine, 6-4, 7-6 (6) in 1 hour and 32 minutes.
With no add scoring in the first two sets, and a match tiebreak contested instead of a third set, a single point can make a doubles match on the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour even more exciting than ever.
That’s exactly what happened in the first set when Kirilenko, serving at 3-2, fell behind 0-40. The young Russian responded with three straight aces, but lost the next point to lose her serve.
Dulko and Kirilenko recovered from the service break and proceeded to win the set 6-4 in 36 minutes.
The Bondarenko sisters were not going to go down easily as they used an early service break to take a 4-1 lead in the second set.
It wasn’t enough as Dulko and Kirilenko made several spectacular saves to get the break back and tie the set at 4-4.
The set would eventually be decided by a tiebreaker which would be won by Kirilenko and Dulko, 8-6.
Dulko and Kirilenko advance to the second round, where they will meet Catalina Castano and Tamarine Tanasugarn.
- Dulko has won six career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour doubles titles.
- Dulko is ranked 35 in the world in doubles.
- Dulko’s 2007 match record in doubles improves to 16-13.
- Kirilenko is ranked 27 in the world in doubles.
- Kirilenko has won three career Sony Ericsson WTA Tour doubles titles.
- Kirilenko’s 2007 match record in doubles improves to 14-11.
- Alona Bondarenko is ranked 63 in the world in doubles.
- Kateryna Bondarenko is ranked 53 in doubles.
- The Bondarenko sisters were making their third career Acura Classic appearance. They reached the quarterfinals in 2005.
- The Bondarenko sisters have represented the Ukraine in Fed Cup play.