Acura Classic 2007
Golovin vs. Dulko – That’s Entertainment!
In one of the most entertaining matches on Monday’s Acura Classic schedule, 13th seeded Tatiana Golovin of France defeated Argentina’s Gisela Dulko, 6-1, 2-6, 6-2, in the final match of the evening on Stadium Court at the La Costa Resort and Spa.
In a first-round duel of young baseliners which thrilled the crowd, Golovin lost her serve in the opening game of the match.
Golovin would not only get the break back in the next game, but would lose only four more points in winning six games in a row to run away with the set in 21 minutes. She was so dominant that she won 15 of 16 points during the set.
Just when it looked like it would be an early night for tennis fans at the Acura Classic, Dulko regrouped and came back to win the second set as both players displayed some amazing shot making.
Dulko scored an early service break and opened up leads of 3-0 and 4-1. With a 5-2 lead, she evened the match at one set all when she broke Golovin’s serve at love.
In the third set, Golovin, hitting her service returns with accuracy, broke Dulko twice in the first two games and went on to take a 5-1 lead.
The Argentine extended the match by holding serve to stay in the match, but Golovin easily served it out in the next game to close out the match.
- Golovin is ranked 19 in the world.
- Golovin will face qualifier Anne Kremer of Luxembourg in the second round.
- Golovin is making her third career Acura Classic appearance. She lost in the first round in 2005 and 2006.
- Golovin now leads Dulko 3-2 in career head to head meetings.
- Golovin reached the US Open quarterfinals in 2006.
- Golovin won the mixed doubles title at Roland Garros in 2004.
- Golovin has represented France in Fed Cup play.
- Dulko was making her fourth career Acura Classic appearance. She reached the third round in 2004.
- Dulko is ranked 52 in the world.
- Dulko has represented Argentina in the Olympics and Fed Cup play.
- Dulko reached the fourth round of Roland Garros in 2006.