TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Houston 1989: Seles d. Evert 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

View Single Post

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #5
PamShriver

PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of PamShriver has much to be proud of
Re: Houston 1989: Seles d. Evert 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

This has to be one of the greatest "debuts" in tennis. Matched only by Evert's "debut" victory over newly crowned Slam Champion Margaret Court in Charlotte in 1970. I am well aware that Seles played 4 Pro tournaments before Houstone (Boca, Lipton, New Orleans '88 and D.C. '89) just as Evert had played several women's events in south Florida before Charlotte. Still, these matches were early enough in their careers to be considered "debuts" of a sort. The only one that I can think of that is nearly as impressive was Serena's debut tournament (and I do believe that it was in fact the first pro event she played) in Chicago in '97 where she defeated none other than...Monica Seles and served notice that she was ready for the big time. Of the three, however, Seles is the only one who actually won the particular event.
PamShriver is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote