TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Houston 1989: Seles d. Evert 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

View Single Post

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:22 AM   #3
country flag OrdinaryfoolisNJ

OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future OrdinaryfoolisNJ has a brilliant future
Re: Houston 1989: Seles d. Evert 3-6, 6-1, 6-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelesFan70 View Post
Wow...talk about a blast from the past! Virginia Wade is an oracle, by the way!

Evert looked pissed off! It was clear her patience wasn't there, and 3 unforced errors in one game...almost unheard of for Evert!

I noticed that Monica didn't acknowledge Chrissie in the speech...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcGfX...elated&search=
That was bad form not to thank a great champion for a good match, but she was a nervous kid. Chris was handling her power at 15, and Seles and Graf had POWER even as kids.

I saw the last part of Martina on TTC Centre Court, and Martina said she had to learn how to make her strokes completely differently to deal with power. She said the old say -- crossing over with the feet side stance was too slow. She had to learn to hit open stance to prepare earlier. I bet Chris could have learned as well, but I'm glad she retired. It was time to reach that other dream of being a mama.

Thanks for this Youtube! I've not seen this match. Guess I should force myself to watch it. I usually can't stand "moon ball" tennis, and I could see Chris moonballing Monica. But still, it was a "passing of the torch" match and worth seeing.

"I still feel in the back of my mind that when Serena is committed and in shape, she's the best player"
Chris Evert ESPN May 2007
OrdinaryfoolisNJ is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote