TennisForum.com - View Single Post - Mixed results

Thread: Mixed results
View Single Post

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 04:11 AM   #16
country flag GeeTee

GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future GeeTee has a brilliant future
Re: Mixed results

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinrunner View Post
The National Pioneer Women's Hall of Fame claims that Lily Addison was the first Australian woman to play at Wimbledon, in 1919. http://www.pioneerwomen.com.au/goodsports.htm
Yeah, I saw that, but I'm still keen to do a bit more research. In the past, I've found lots of data that contradicts 'official' history and that Hall of Fame isn't exactly official (though no doubt the author has done some of her own research).

For many years it was thought (and referenced in many books) that the 1925 team was the first year Aussie women played at The Championships.

At least, thanks to the efforts of Rollo, Brian, AndrewTas and the others, there is a ton of info on this site about the early days of women's tennis. Still, I bet they agree there's a heap of work to be done yet.
GeeTee is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote