TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Amateur Players and Tennis Equipment Forum (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1401)
-   -   Which Serve Stance Do You Use? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=659585)

MMJSL Feb 4th, 2014 04:32 AM

Which Serve Stance Do You Use?

Pinpoint or Platform?

I'm currently using pinpoint but I'm gunna try to start using a platform stance to help with the inconsistency in my serve.

Quote:

Pinpoint Stance

The pinpoint serve stance is where your feet are at most only a couple of inches away from each other. Some tennis players even go into this stance with both of their feet basically touching. Tennis players like Gael Monfils as well as Andy Roddick commonly use this type of tennis serve stance. It must be noted that there are possible variations to the pinpoint stance. For instance, the hybrid pinpoint stance demands that players begin in a platform stance with feet apart a little bit wider. On the motion to the trophy position, they then slide their back foot up beside their front foot and into the pinpoint stance. Examples of the many players that use the hybrid pinpoint stance are Tomas Berdych and Andy Murray.
Serena's Hybrid Pinpoint Stance

Quote:

Platform Stance

The platform serve stance is characterized by feet that are approximately a shoulder’s width apart. Your feet’s angles vary, and the feet must remain the same width apart when you are serving. The only movement of the feet occurs when you jump up off the ground. Examples of tennis pros who used the platform stance are Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and the retired tennis player Pete Sampras.
Roger Federer's Platform Stance

http://www.improve-your-tennis.com/t...ve-stance.html

semprelibera Feb 4th, 2014 05:20 AM

Re: Which Serve Stance Do You Use?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMJSL (Post 38455953)
Pinpoint or Platform?

I'm currently using pinpoint but I'm gunna try to start using a platform stance to help with the inconsistency in my serve.

How does switching from one to the other affect consistency on serve?

MMJSL Feb 4th, 2014 05:27 AM

Pinpoint has more moving parts and is harder to time. More room for mistakes.

Platform has more stability.

There's much more to it than that but those are my reasons for the switch.

semprelibera Feb 4th, 2014 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMJSL (Post 38456313)
Pinpoint has more moving parts and is harder to time. More room for mistakes.

Platform has more stability.

There's much more to it than that but those are my reasons for the switch.

Pinpoint has only 1 more moving part than platform. And it's passive movement. THe basis of both serves is to rotate your hips and shift your weight onto the front foot.

If you have balance issues, rotate your front hip before the weight transfer. Completely resolves the issue. You need to do this regardless of whatever stance you use.

Sam L Feb 4th, 2014 05:50 AM

I didn't know what this was until now. I use pinpoint apparently.

MMJSL Feb 4th, 2014 05:58 AM

Good article on the topic.

http://www.improve-your-tennis.com/t...ve-stance.html

Quote:

As a tennis coach, I personally prefer players to adopt the platform stance because your balance will be better and therefore your serve will be more consistent. As for the pinpoint stance, you need to have good body control in order to contact the ball consistently. You can try both tennis serve stances and decide which one is more suitable for you.

semprelibera Feb 4th, 2014 06:16 AM

I disagree that the pinpoint stance is harder to control your toss, or be stable. That being said, I hope your stance change works for you.

I use a hybrid pinpoint stance. Feet are apart to start but back foot moves forward during weight transfer.
I find I am more explosive forward and up this way than with platform, which I used a long time ago.

The Witch-king Feb 8th, 2014 08:38 AM

Maybe you should explain what either are in your opening post, MJMSL

Vefci Y Feb 8th, 2014 10:55 AM

Pinpoint

TennisIsSaved Feb 13th, 2014 12:20 AM

which service stance does Serena use?

MMJSL Feb 13th, 2014 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisIsSaved (Post 38771657)
which service stance does Serena use?

She uses a hybrid pinpoint.

MMJSL Feb 13th, 2014 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Witch-king (Post 38572633)
Maybe you should explain what either are in your opening post, MJMSL

Done :)

The Witch-king Feb 13th, 2014 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMJSL (Post 38774201)

I actually thought what she does is pinpoint. Seems like most people use hybrid pinpoint then.

I use hybrid pinpoint too although I've tried to develop a platform stance. It usually works for a little while then I forget and go back to what I'm used to.

TennisIsSaved Feb 13th, 2014 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMJSL (Post 38774201)

thanks! now I'm wondering what stance Bouchard has. I'm guessing it's a hybrid pinpoint as well.

MMJSL Feb 13th, 2014 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Witch-king (Post 38776049)
I actually thought what she does is pinpoint. Seems like most people use hybrid pinpoint then.

I use hybrid pinpoint too although I've tried to develop a platform stance. It usually works for a little while then I forget and go back to what I'm used to.

Yeah I thought I did pinpoint too. I actually technically use a hybrid pinpoint.