TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Bacsinszky: "At 20 I was Top 50 and miserable" and how she was happy working in a bar (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=623489)

spiceboy Nov 16th, 2013 06:31 PM

Bacsinszky: "At 20 I was Top 50 and miserable" and how she was happy working in a bar

She tells how in 2011 she had a foot fracture which made her stop for almost a year and after coming back in 2012 she wasn't feeling happy and at the end of the year started working in a 5* hotel in a ski resort behind the bar, not telling her colleagues she was once a star in Switzerland who had earn +1M$ in her brief pro career.

This year she knew that after several last minute withdrawals she was accepted in the French Open Q draw and asked permission to her boss to go despite she hadn't touched a racket for over 2 months. She played in Paris with little fortune but 2 months later she won $50K Contrexeville.

She says how tennis has never been a passion in her life but loves competition and will try to get to where she once was. She reached the final in $25K Equeurdreville last week.

charmedRic Nov 16th, 2013 06:33 PM

Re: Bacszinsky: "At 20 I was Top 50 and miserable" and how she was happy working in a

:awww:

GoofyDuck Nov 16th, 2013 06:36 PM

Re: Bacszinsky: "At 20 I was Top 50 and miserable" and how she was happy working in a

It's true she's not a good competitor... mentally weak.

saint2 Nov 16th, 2013 06:37 PM

So shes basically...retired ?

But I know what she feels...And I totally understand her :hug:.

BUT one thing I wonder- HOW she spent ALL

Quote:

earn +1M$ in her brief pro career.
Maybe I rate by my lowly polish standard, by lowly polish bum, but in my book she should be stacked for life...

Petkorazzi Nov 16th, 2013 06:45 PM

It doesn't say that she worked in the bar for the money...

Mynarco Nov 16th, 2013 06:45 PM

Did she spend all her prize money?

spiceboy Nov 16th, 2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint2 (Post 35662793)
So shes basically...retired ?

Did you read why I wrote or just the thread title? :tape:

She's playing $75K+H Sharm El Sheikh next week.

saint2 Nov 16th, 2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petkorazzi (Post 35662897)
It doesn't say that she worked in the bar for the money...

Sure, maybe she just like to works in the bar...But majority of people I know working at the bar, or working elsewhere, if they had 500K $ (lets say its her net income of 1M), wouldnt work at the bar OR elsewhere...Seems strange...

Jimmie48 Nov 16th, 2013 06:59 PM

Dude, prize money dosen't mean she has that money at her disposal. She has her expenses (coach, travel etc.) and pay taxes as well.

saint2 Nov 16th, 2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmie48 (Post 35663105)
Dude, prize money dosen't mean she has that money at her disposal. She has her expenses (coach, travel etc.) and pay taxes as well.

So how much money goes directly into her pocket ?

500 K ?
250 k ?

Still seems pretty big. Shes not paying taxes in France after all...

Mynarco Nov 16th, 2013 07:02 PM

Is Bacsinszky a Polish surname or a Hungarian surname?

miffedmax Nov 16th, 2013 07:02 PM

I'm sure the $1M was gross, not net. She had to pay for travel, coaches, taxes, and even though top players get a lot of stuff comped she still had living expenses while on the tour. It's not like it was a sudden windfall out of nowhere. Even if she was smart and frugal there's no way she was able to bank the full amount.

She may also have just wanted to have done something to take her mind off her troubles.

The Dawntreader Nov 16th, 2013 07:05 PM

Further proof that professional sport isn't for everyone. Tennis is a mercenary arena.

spiceboy Nov 16th, 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xepher (Post 35663153)
Is Bacsinszky a Polish surname or a Hungarian surname?

Hungarian. She is fluent in that language.

spiceboy Nov 16th, 2013 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint2 (Post 35663137)
So how much money goes directly into her pocket ?

500 K ?
250 k ?

Still seems pretty big. Shes not paying taxes in France after all...

I mean, she is 24. You cannot expect her to live +50 years (at least) with $500K in a country like Switzerland. Anyway, she just wanted to do normal things for a girl her age like working a bar for a while, nothing wrong about it.