Tennis Forum banner

Indonesian tennis

206K views 3K replies 72 participants last post by  coetzergambill 
#1 ·
I am making this thread since Indonesian tennis has been maintaining its glory particularly in Asia from 1960s until now and in the modern era with the emergence of Yayuk Basuki to sneaked into top 20 WTA in 1997! And I am personally believe that 2003 is the beginning for Indonesia to go back to basic by focusing more on quality development for its young players despite of many controversies!!! I dedicate this thread for Indonesian crazy fans home and abroad!!! Go, Indonesian tennis!!! :cool: :wavey:

#2 ·
Hemaviton Challenge

Yayuk Basuki, former national player is still thinking much about what she can do for her country's tennis development. She managed to get a private national pharmaceutical company to sponsor a junior circuit which was concluded yesterday in Jakarta. As the woman behind the curtain, Yayuk as always low-profile and she is very humble...I had the privilege to watch this Hemaviton Challenge which held at historical tennis complex in Senayan, Jakarta. This tennis circuit was only for junior players both boys and girls and the both sexes were divided into 14 yo group and 18 yo group! All the matches were played in red clay courts. This past week was the 1st leg of 3 series. The next serie will be held in June and finaly, they will have Masters Series with only 16 players who have accumulated points from the 1st two legs of this circuit. The masters series will be held in September. The winners from each age group will be sent to compete in junior international tournaments abroad!!! Not bad for a start!

This past week, I saw many players competed from all parts of Indonesia. I was impressed with the presence of 2 West Papuan boys who came all the way from Serui, West Papua...Indeed, they had to pay the most expensive airfare to come to Jakarta...Coming from West Papua is like flying from New York to LA! I heard that in the past, some players had to sleep at pro-shop at the tournament site or even at a mosque! For boys singles of 18 yo group, Sunu Wahyu Trijati of Jakarta came out as the winner by defeating Christian Adinata, a native Madiunese in East Java. Sunu won easily 6-1, 6-1...Sunu did not play at his best actually but he took the advantage of Adinata's UEs. Sunu was fresh from his 2nd ITF titles the week before at Salonpas Grade 2 in Jakarta and now he is ranked 77 after 172!!! Maya Rosa who is now living in Surabaya, who was runner-up in Grade 2 the week before, managed to be the winner since there was not much challenge from same level of players like Sandy Gumulya or Septi Mende who were opted due to injury...Maya downed a Balinese girl, Nancy Metriya - she won 6-1, 6-0! Both Sunu and Maya will be playing at Grade 1 ITF tournament in Kuala Lumpur next week.

For 14 yo group, Agung Bagus Dewantoro, a native of Magelang/Central Java, won the boys' singles by defeating Fendi Gunawan of Bandung/West Java with scores 6-1, 6-0! While for girls' singles, Mia Sacca of Yogyakarta who has been competing in many 16 yo group's matches, came out as the champion by defeating Lutfiana of Kudus/Central Java 6-1, 6-1. Both Maya and Mia won also the doubles in each age group respectively! Each winner were given trophy as well as prizes such as cellphone, gift certificate of sport equipment and "Hemaviton" energy drink!!!

One thing I have noticed that a 14 yo player from Bandung, while she was having break between games in her doubles final match, she was still SMSing...I did not like that! She should have turned her cellphone off for her match sake! Teens nowadays!!!

It was a great tournament after all! I congratulated Yayuk Basuki for her great work! For spectators, by the committee, we were allowed to have coffee or tea and some yummy snacks while we were watching the final matches...It was nice of them to have such refreshments! Looking forward to have better quality of tournament in June!

#3 ·
14 yo players' national selection

Today was the 1st day of 14 yo players' national selection for both boys and girls. From this selection, 3 boys and 3 girls are picked for representing Indonesia in Davis Cup Jr and Fed Cup Jr which will be held in Perth, Western Australia next month. This selection is being played at Senayan's rebound ace outdoor courts.

Boys:

1. Agung Bagus Dewantoro (Rank 1/Semarang, Central Java)
2. Fendi Gunawan (2/Bandung, West Java)
3. Christopher Rungkat (3/Jakarta)
4. Alvin Putra Kurniawan (4/Jakarta)
5. Bani Kohar Harahap (5/Jakarta)
6. Gilbert Sondakh (6/Jakarta)
7. Lenz Theodor (8/Jakarta)

1st day results:
Agung B D def. Alvin P K 61 60
Agung B D def. Gilbert S 63 60

Fendi G def. Alvin P K 46 63 60
Fendi G def. Gilbert S 63 62

Bani K H def. Lenz T 60 61
Christopher R def. Bani K H 64 61
Christopher R def. Lenz T 63 60

Girls:

1. Lutfiana AB (Rank 1/Kudus, Central Java)
2. Wyne Pramestiningrum (2/Kendal, Central Java)
3. Vivien Silfany (3/Palembang, South Sumatra)
4. Komang Sri Maryati (4/Denpasar, Bali)
5. Jessy Rompies (6/Jakarta)
6. Afieta Januaristi (7/Jakarta)
7. Mia Sacca (11/Yogyakarta)

1st day results:

Lutfiana AB def. Komang S M 63 60
Lutfiana AB def. Jessy R 75 61

Komang S M def. Wyne P 62 64

Jessy R def. Wyne P 61 62

Mia Sacca def. Afieta J 63 64
Mia Sacca def. Vivien S 60 60

Vivien S def. Afieta J 62 63

#4 ·
Indonesia Fed Cup team

Since Angie and Wynne are automatically chosen to be in Fed Cup team, therefore Indonesian Tennis Association gave full authority to Deddy Tedjamukti and Suzanna A Wibowo, coaches of Angie and Wynne, in choosing younger players to accompany A & W! They finally came up with Diana Julianto (WTA 677) & Sandy Gumulya (WTA?). But I heard that Diana declined this offer and Maya Rosa is now in the team!

This choice of players are hot news now in the media! The press and Yayuk Basuki voiced their concern over such way of choosing players without any official selection. Yayuk argued that Liza Andriyani and Wukirasih Sawondari are deserved to be selected. But our national tennis association argued back that their reason was to have younegr players as ways for them gain team playing exposure. They also said that Angie and Wynne are already having commitment with their tour schedule so that they do not want to play in SEA Games in Vietnam. It does not make sense since SEA Games will be held in December when A & W are resting after such long tours. In newspaper, Angie's manager has voiced her statement that Angie never says no to play for her country. IMO, it is better to send younger players to compete in SEA Games but for Fed Cup?

I have talked to Wukirasih personally and she said that she has no more intention to play for Fed Cup but she regrets that our national tennis association had the decision to choose players without any selection. I heard that also, Sandy Gumulya was chosen based only her winning results over Wukir and Liza at Cigna Open recently in which Sandy became the winner. Oh, well...controversies never end in tennis here! Let's see what is gonna happen!!!

#5 ·
Thanks for the news, Adji :)

I personally agree that Sandy is given the opportunity to represent Indonesia in Fed Cup :) As for Liza and Wukir, I think they better improve their tour and ranking. Let the younger players get the experience of Fed Cup and Sea Games :)

Any reason why Diana J declined to play the Fed Cup? :confused:

#6 · (Edited)
I wonder why Diana declined to join the team? :confused:

Anyway, Liza & Wukir totally deserved the last 2 spots. They're both very good doubles players. Fine if the younger players get opportunity to play SEA Games, but Fed Cup should be represented with the strongest teams!

Henry, Wukir nor Liza have sponsors to play abroad! If they did, they would be ranked so much higher. What a waste... :mad:

#7 ·
2nd day of 14 yo national selection

I was there again today! These players have been playing for 4 weeks in a row, some are physically worn out and some are still fine! Below is the final results of today...

Boys:

Christopher R (Jakarta) def. Alvin P K (Jakarta) 61 62
Poor Alvin, after he had coaching clinic in Singapore, he has been bad physically...I do not think, the clinic was worth to taking!

Agung B Dewantoro (Semarang) def. Lenz T (Jakarta) 64 64
Lenz played very well and was nothing to lose but it was not enough to down Agung who was brilliant with his variative game!

Fendi G (Bandung) def. Bani K Harahap (Jakarta) 75 60
Fendi got better and better...Bani played a bit better than usual in 1st set but then in 2nd set, he was worn out drastically!

Gilbert S (Jakarta) def. Alvin P K (Jakarta) 61 62
Gilbert stole the show! Alvin was simply too weak physically!

Agung B Dewantoro (Semarang) def. Christopher R (Jakarta) 62 61
Agung was very solid!

Fendi G (Bandung) def. Lenz T (Jakarta) 61 62
Fendi was playing well!!!

Bani K Harahap (Jakarta) def. Gilbert S (Jakarta) 62 63
Bani won again!

Girls:

Lutfiana A B (Kudus) def. Afieta J (Jakarta) 61 62
Lutfiana was more consistent!

Vivien S (Palembang) def. Komang S Maryati (Bali) 62 63
Vivien worn Komang out!

Mia S (Yogyakarta) def. Wyne Pramestiningrum (Kendal) 60 61
Mia was too strong for unfit Wyne!

Lutfiana A B (Kudus) def. Vivien S (Palembang) 61 62
Lutfiana was simply persistent!

Komang S Maryati (Bali) def. Jessy R (Jakarta) 61 76(6)
Komang fought harder!

Wyne P (Kendal) def. Alfieta J (Jakarta) 63 64
Wyne played more agressive and was solid in rallies.

Mia S (Yogyakarta) def. Jessy R (Jakarta) 62 61
Mia was simply outclassed Jessy!

#8 ·
danker is right...Liza and Wukir are having no sponsor right now...Based on my chat with Wukir, she is simply lack of motivation to play seriously...She is thinking about getting a job and going to college at the same time...Liza has not much hope, either...

Indeed, it is good to have younger players for Fed Cup or SEA Games but the big argument is...why do not they have national selection? No fairness...that's all!

#10 ·
Thanks Adji for the news. I agree that we should have the national selection to select the team members.

#11 ·
yeah... I really really Agree.... :fiery: I want to be PELTI staf! :fiery:

#13 ·
lokamaya said:
Yayuk argued that Liza Andriyani and Wukirasih Sawondari are deserved to be selected. But our national tennis association argued back that their reason was to have younger players as ways for them gain team playing exposure.
I understand as well that Liza and Wukirasih are not keen these days to travel overseas to play ITF events. With the new Fed Cup seeding, players ranking is extremely important. The Indonesian tennis Federation may be willing to give priority to players who are willing to play tournaments overseas and improve their ranking :) .

I heard also that Wukir is getting married :confused: so that her priorities may change in future ;) .

They also said that Angie and Wynne are already having commitment with their tour schedule so that they do not want to play in SEA Games in Vietnam. It does not make sense since SEA Games will be held in December when A & W are resting after such long tours. In newspaper, Angie's manager has voiced her statement that Angie never says no to play for her country. IMO, it is better to send younger players to compete in SEA Games but for Fed Cup?
I think that it could be good for the interest of these SEA Games, though Martina Widjaja may want to get all the gold :rolleyes: .

lokamaya said:
Oh, well...controversies never end in tennis here! Let's see what is gonna happen!!!
It looks like. It is certainly because there are some strong personalities involved, like Yayuk Basuki and Martina Widjaja ;) .

#14 ·
danker said:
I didn't know Diana was still studying... :eek:

Do you know whereabouts? :confused:
Well, I asked Herry/Suharyadi - Basuki's hubby - I met him today and he said that Diana goes to college in her hometown, Bandung...The bad thing, she has no coach...so, she travels abroad on her own...when she practices at home, she has only sparring partner, Sulistyo Wibowo - former national player! We just cannot understand Diana's father on not having coach for her daughter... :confused:

#15 ·
Steveg said:
I understand as well that Liza and Wukirasih are not keen these days to travel overseas to play ITF events. With the new Fed Cup seeding, players ranking is extremely important. The Indonesian tennis Federation may be willing to give priority to players who are willing to play tournaments overseas and improve their ranking :) .

I heard also that Wukir is getting married :confused: so that her priorities may change in future ;) .

I think that it could be good for the interest of these SEA Games, though Martina Widjaja may want to get all the gold :rolleyes: .

It looks like. It is certainly because there are some strong personalities involved, like Yayuk Basuki and Martina Widjaja ;) .
Wukir gets married? That's gossip, I think...I have been meeting several times in the last 3 weeks and I have been seeing her with her close friend as she says...I think, this guy is Wukir's boy friend...They are cute together!

Yup, MW may want to get all golds to be decorated in her house!!! Just kidding!

Yayuk has the glory and Martina has the dollars! We are talking about duo egos!

#16 ·
3rd or final day of 14 yo national selection

Boys:
Alvin P K def. Lenz T 75 46 63

Fendi G def. Christopher R 62 60

Agung B D def. Bani K H 62 62

Agung B D def. Fendi G 63 61

Gilbert S def. Lenz T 76(1) 75

Bani K H def. Alvin P K 75 64

Gilbert S def. Christopher R 36 61 64

Final standing:
1. Agung B D (Semarang)
2. Fendi G (Bandung)
3. Christopher R (Jakarta)
4. Bani K H (Jakarta)
5. Gilbert S (Jakarta)
6. Alvin P K (Jakarta)
7. Lenz T (Jakarta)

So, the top three finishers are to be in the team and they have the opportunity to go to another selection for ITF team for European tour. The selection will be held in Korat, Thailand.

Agung is coached by his own father. Agung is physically strong despite of his slim overall body. His weakness is his serve and his father is now working on that. He really needs sponsor since he comes from mid income family in Magelang, Central Java. The rest of the boys are coming from well-to-do families, so no problem financially!!! I regard Fendi, Christopher, Gilbert and Lenz as talented players beside Agung. Lenz is only 12 yo!

Girls:

Mia S def. Lutfiana A B 60 60
Komang S M def. Afieta J 63 61
Vivien S def. Wyne P 61 60
Mia S def. Komang S M 63 63
Jessy R def. Alfieta 67(6) 61 62
Lutfiana A B def. Wyne P 75 61
Vivien S def. Jessy R 64 63

Final standing:

1. Mia Sacca (Yogyakarta) - coached by Suharyadi/Basuki's hubby
2. Lutfiana A B (Kudus)
3. Vivien Silfany (Palembang) - coached by her own grandpa!
4. Komang Sri Maryati (Bali)
5. Jessy Rompies (Jakarta)
6. Wyne Pramestiningrum (Kendal)
7. Afieta Januaristi (Jakarta)

Too bad, all these girls need sponsor if they want to play abroad! Prspective players: Mia Sacca, Vivien Silfany, Komang S M, Jessy R and Wyne P! I have doubt about Lutfiana and Afieta...

Same as the boys, the three top finishers are eligible to be in the team and they will go to Korat, Thailand as well.

For Korat, PELTI (Indonesian Tennis Association) will only cover board expenses and free fiscal fee...Each player must pay airfare expenses on each own! So much for junior development by PELTI! Eeek... :mad:

#19 ·
Thanks, Steveg...but not much hope for Suwandi...he is getting old and his game is going nowhere! Originally, WC was given to Febi Widhianto, number 1 player in Indonesia who ATP ranking is low due to lack of tourneys he has taken...Febi declined the offer since he preferred to play down there in New Zealand for futures...IMO, he did not take it since the offer was from Martina...You know, Febi's coach - Deddy Prasetyo is big enemy of Martina! :cool: :wavey:

#22 ·
Girls are better!

Indonesian girls are faring better than the boys at ITF Grade 4 in Kuching, Serawak - Malaysia! With only 3 girls in the main draw, Indonesia has hope on the shoulders of Balinese native, Ayu Fani Damayanti and student of Deddy Tedjamukti, Joana Febri...These two players are advancing to 3rd round...They have chosen in ITF 14 yo team on European tour last year!!! While Golda stumbled agin in 1st round - same resylt as last week's Brunei! Not much hope for Golda...She is very very small physically, it is tough if she keeps her game like that! Great to know that Ayu is sponsored by "Wismilak" while Jojo is self-funded! Go, girls!!! :) :wavey: :bounce:

#23 ·
Upcoming local tournaments

Mayor's Cup in Pontianak, West Kalimantan - only for men! Total prize money is only 30 million rupiahs! March 17-23, 2003

Tarakan Open in Tarakan, East Kalimantan - for men and women! Total prize money of 100 million rupiahs! March 24-30, 2003

Liza and Wukir are going to play in Tarakan for sure...Now, they are practicing under the supervision of Yayuk Basuki.

I heard that many other cities out of Java are eager to hold a tournament now! Personally, I want to see Medan, Batam and Bandar Lampung - all in Sumatra to have their own tourneys after other cities such as Makassar, Nusa Dua/Bali etc...Go, archipelago!

#24 ·
takadanobaba said:
Mayor's Cup in Pontianak, West Kalimantan - only for men! Total prize money is only 30 million rupiahs! March 17-23, 2003

Tarakan Open in Tarakan, East Kalimantan - for men and women! Total prize money of 100 million rupiahs! March 24-30, 2003

Liza and Wukir are going to play in Tarakan for sure...Now, they are practicing under the supervision of Yayuk Basuki.

I heard that many other cities out of Java are eager to hold a tournament now! Personally, I want to see Medan, Batam and Bandar Lampung - all in Sumatra to have their own tourneys after other cities such as Makassar, Nusa Dua/Bali etc...Go, archipelago!
:fiery: I really think Wukir and Liza should be in the FED CUp Team although they are saying about craps of giving junior players experience.. bla bla.. they are such pain-in-the-ass.. I mean, why don't they just sponsored the youngsters to play in 10K challengers.. IMO, Fed Cup is a bigger thing, It's not good to make it for a try. Ridicuolos.. Why didn't Yayuk sponsor Wukir and Liza :fiery: after all, she had alot of money ;) moreover, she can be their coach ;)

#25 ·
takadanobaba said:
Indonesian girls are faring better than the boys at ITF Grade 4 in Kuching, Serawak - Malaysia! With only 3 girls in the main draw, Indonesia has hope on the shoulders of Balinese native, Ayu Fani Damayanti and student of Deddy Tedjamukti, Joana Febri...These two players are advancing to 3rd round...They have chosen in ITF 14 yo team on European tour last year!!! While Golda stumbled agin in 1st round - same resylt as last week's Brunei! Not much hope for Golda...She is very very small physically, it is tough if she keeps her game like that! Great to know that Ayu is sponsored by "Wismilak" while Jojo is self-funded! Go, girls!!! :) :wavey: :bounce:
I really have more faith in Ayu and Joana than Maya and Nancy.. Good to know that Ayu now had sponsor :bounce: Hope we can see her more in junior tournament :bounce:

Why is Diana not playing in challengers anymore :eek:

#26 ·
takadanobaba said:
All the Indonesian boys have lost in ITF Grade 4 in Kuching, Serawak - Malaysia...Anthony Tan, Jonathan Amdanu, Sandy Purnomo, Elbert Sie...all well-to-do spoiled brats and others...So much for the boys! :mad: :sad:
How bout Sunu, what do you think of him? Who is the second strongest after him?