TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Smash 'em, Sam (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=689)
-   -   Sammy's Asian Swing 2013 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=598577)

SilverPersian Sep 19th, 2013 11:15 AM

Sammy's Asian Swing 2013

Sammy is planning to play four tournaments during this year's Asian Swing: Tokyo, Beijing, Osaka and Moscow.

Key questions to be answered over this time include:
-Can Sam defend her 990 points accumulated over the same period last year?
-Will Sam qualify for MM YEC Sofia by returning to the winner's circle in Osaka?
-When/will Sam find a coach during this period?

Tokyo's singles draw is out Friday afternoon local time.

Ado. Sep 19th, 2013 12:20 PM

Re: Sammy's Asian Swing 2013

4 weeks straight of Sammy :woohoo:

stromatolite Sep 19th, 2013 01:25 PM

No matter what happens Sam will not lose all 990 points. Even if she fails to wina single match, she has enough redundant points to ensure that she won't lose more than 540. Still, that would be a lot, and would drop her down to well outside the top 20. But I can see her defending at least some of her points, so with any luck the damage could be quite modest.

Two or three wins in Beijing would be particularly useful, since she's not defending anything and it's mandatory, that would be pure profit. And an Osaka title would be awesome. :)

Ado. Sep 19th, 2013 01:47 PM

Osaka title would be delicious. Two titles in what has been a shitty year would be rather ironic as it would be her most successful title wise. And going to Sofia would be a nice way to finish the year.

bertisonline Sep 19th, 2013 02:45 PM

I donít know why the name of the thread weíre in isnít named "Sammy's Asian Swing 2013: Sam's happy hunting groundĒ?

:lol:

B.

SilverPersian Sep 20th, 2013 01:09 AM

^How about, "Sammy's Asian Swing 2013: Sam's (Intermittently) Happy (But More Often Than Not Disappointing) Hunting Ground" :p

Sinclair Sep 20th, 2013 06:22 AM

^^ this.

You know, I had an Asian swingset once. It was pretty and had 2 swings and a slide. Rusted out after one year. Then it was wobbly and creaky. In another year it was downright treacherous, requiring a nasty tetanus injection. So. Maybe it should be renamed "Sam's rusty Asian Swingset: Lots of Fun until it collapses."

Don't mind my pissy mood...I've been working a stretch of 20 nights without a day off and I'm quite unpleasant to be around at the momo (see what I did there?).

SilverPersian Sep 20th, 2013 08:01 AM

Here is Sammy's Tokyo half:

Vinci
BYE
Q
Safarova
Q
Date-Krumm
Cornet
Stosur

Flipkens
Q
Rybarikova
Hsieh
Pennetta
Hantuchova
BYE
Wozniacki

Kerber
BYE
Q
Zakopalova
Svitolina
Nara
Beck
Ivanovic

Cibulkova
U.Radwanska
Mladenovic
Q
Wozniak
Schiavone
BYE
A.Radwanska

Apart from Safarova sitting there, in her dangerous, erratic lefty clothes, I don't think we could have hoped for too much better. Vinci will also be a problem if Sam falls into the same traps that she did in Dubai...

We might also get to see some more sublime volleying against Cornet in the first round as well :hearts::sobbing:

SilverPersian Sep 20th, 2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 33743937)
^^ this.

You know, I had an Asian swingset once. It was pretty and had 2 swings and a slide. Rusted out after one year. Then it was wobbly and creaky. In another year it was downright treacherous, requiring a nasty tetanus injection. So. Maybe it should be renamed "Sam's rusty Asian Swingset: Lots of Fun until it collapses."

Don't mind my pissy mood...I've been working a stretch of 20 nights without a day off and I'm quite unpleasant to be around at the momo (see what I did there?).

Aww Sinclair :sad::hug:

I will change the title of the thread to your suggestion - but only if the next month is disastrous. I'm fairly sure Sam is going to read your post and go into boss mode to cheer you up :yeah:

stromatolite Sep 20th, 2013 08:35 AM

It's a draw full of matches that are extremely winnable and extremely losable, in roughly equal measure. I'd like to say I'm confident of Sam's chances against Cornet, but to be truthful, that's a match I can see her losing. Prove me wrong Sam:unsure:

annetcl Sep 20th, 2013 02:01 PM

If she can somehow get past Cornet - who is having a pretty good year on tour and seems to be someone Sam does not like to play against, her draw is not looking too bad. But really tricky for Sam to have to play Cornet as a first match. Sam was struggling against Francessa last year after a pretty good showing at the USO here last year - so I don't really know which Sam will show up this year :unsure:

Are the early rounds televised you think?

Ado. Sep 20th, 2013 02:16 PM

Damn that is a fine draw. Please Sam take advantage of this.

Huntress55 Sep 20th, 2013 03:35 PM

Wow thats a decent draw. Couldnt be a better time for Sam to get herself together. As always though - one match at a time.

Sinclair Sep 20th, 2013 07:07 PM

I'm getting to the point where I don't take much comfort or disappointment in Sam's draw anymore. Maybe I'm still stung by the Duval thing, but I don't count anyone out. To me, it could be Vika or Serena in Sam's first round match and I'd pretty much feel the same as having a Q. I feel like there's no sure thing anymore.

It depends more upon which Sam shows up rather than which opponent she's playing. But that's just my pissy mood opinion.

On a happier note, I think that Sam can use this time to build her to-do list for the new coach (whoever that may be). If she can really be observant of the situations that trigger her weaknesses and be truthful with herself about what she needs help with, then it gives her time before Oz to target the problems.

@SP.....I really hope you won't have to change the name of the thread to my previous suggestion. With any luck, you'll be changing it to something like "Bow down, bitches, the Boss of the Playground is back." :cool:

SilverPersian Sep 21st, 2013 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by annetcl (Post 33752545)
IAre the early rounds televised you think?

There aren't any streams up for the qualifying rounds, which isn't a good sign, but doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sam's first match with Fran wasn't televised last year; I don't remember which court they were on, but you'd *think* they'd have been on one of the main courts - so I don't think it looks very good in terms of getting access to early round streams :sad:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 33761953)
I'm getting to the point where I don't take much comfort or disappointment in Sam's draw anymore. Maybe I'm still stung by the Duval thing, but I don't count anyone out. To me, it could be Vika or Serena in Sam's first round match and I'd pretty much feel the same as having a Q. I feel like there's no sure thing anymore.

@SP.....I really hope you won't have to change the name of the thread to my previous suggestion. With any luck, you'll be changing it to something like "Bow down, bitches, the Boss of the Playground is back." :cool:

Yeah, I'm getting a bit that way too. Stromatolite's point about Sam's draw being full of winnable AND loseable matches is pretty accurate; unfortunately, that isn't so much a feature of this draw in particular, but a feature of Sam's entire state-of-being at this stage :hysteric:

Bow Down Bitches has been copy pasted into one of my computer post-it notes for future usage :armed: