TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/)
-   -   BOMBSHELL: Journeywoman Wannabe Claudia Coppola banned for 6-months (http://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/598345-bombshell-journeywoman-wannabe-claudia-coppola-banned-6-months.html)

Eldest Sep 18th, 2013 06:07 PM

BOMBSHELL: Journeywoman Wannabe Claudia Coppola banned for 6-months

Journeywoman wannabe Claudia Coppola, 19 y.o. Ranked around #850, has been banned for six months for match fixing. She has to pay 4000 dollars, Which can be reduced to 3000 if she takes part to some anti-corruption program.

Can't say she does not deserve it, but I have seen some bigger fixers ranked pretty high and they go to ban a player who would have even hardly entered TheBoiledEgg's coloured ranking?

SAISAI-GOAT Sep 18th, 2013 06:10 PM

Re: BOMBSHELL: Journeywoman Wannabe Claudia Coppola banned for 6-months

you are referring to Zakopalova :shrug:

Petkorazzi Sep 18th, 2013 06:11 PM

I think it's pretty obvious that match fixing is very common on the tour. I mean, if you check bet365, it has matches live between two completely unknown players in 10k qualies in the middle of nowhere. I have to admit that if I were on tour, I'd definitely fix a match or two to afford to go to tournaments and continue with my career (unless I had a sponsor). When the fave in the match goes up like a set and 3-2 the odd can be over 10 on that player losing the match, which shouldn't be too hard and a 1000$ bet could guarantee playing tourneys for like 2-3 months.

Inger67 Sep 18th, 2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petkorazzi (Post 33706937)
I think it's pretty obvious that match fixing is very common on the tour. I mean, if you check bet365, it has matches live between two completely unknown players in 10k qualies in the middle of nowhere. I have to admit that if I were on tour, I'd definitely fix a match or two to afford to go to tournaments and continue with my career (unless I had a sponsor). When the fave in the match goes up like a set and 3-2 the odd can be over 10 on that player losing the match, which shouldn't be too hard and a 1000$ bet could guarantee playing tourneys for like 2-3 months.

Is it bad that I thought the same thing? :lol:

Eldest Sep 18th, 2013 06:15 PM

It is not out yet the specific match/matches she fixed, but the few wins she had in her career were matches where she was somehow a favourite, so where did it happen? Double maybe?

Petkorazzi Sep 18th, 2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind. (Post 33707041)
It is not out yet the specific match/matches she fixed, but the few wins she had in her career were matches where she was somehow a favourite, so where did it happen? Double maybe?

You can bet on everything these days, like losing the 3rd point in game 4 of set 2 :lol:

Eldest Sep 18th, 2013 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petkorazzi (Post 33707065)
You can bet on everything these days, like losing the 3rd point in game 4 of set 2 :lol:

:lol: I did not know that!

Patrick345 Sep 18th, 2013 06:22 PM

As long as the bookmakers generate enough volume from streaming tennis matches they´ll accept the occasional fixing. They´ll just ban the successful/suspicious bettors. That´s a more effective way to keep the operations afloat than trying to prove that somebody fixed a match. If you had bet $1000 plus pre-match on a certain match in Seoul this week that´s the last bet you ever made with that bookmaker/account. :lol:

Inger67 Sep 18th, 2013 06:22 PM

Looking at her results I don't really see anything that sticks out :scratch: :confused:

Inger67 Sep 18th, 2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petkorazzi (Post 33707065)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wind. (Post 33707097)
:lol: I did not know that!

I guess that's true but that seems like it would be very hard to prove if she was doing something mid match. Where would she be able to communicate with people? Sending them secret signals then?

That's just stupid :lol:

bjurra Sep 18th, 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inger67 (Post 33707193)
Looking at her results I don't really see anything that sticks out :scratch: :confused:

Well a 0-6 7-6 6-0 win could be an honest win and a 6-4 4-6 6-4 could be a fix. You can't tell by the score.

bjurra Sep 18th, 2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAISAI-GOAT (Post 33706913)
you are referring to Zakopalova :shrug:

Tanking is the not the same as fixing.

GBTG_Fan Sep 18th, 2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjurra (Post 33707385)
Tanking is the not the same as fixing.

It is. It's deliberately throwing the match. Just tanking suggests you don't have a benefit in the outcome which you would in fixing.

Halepsova Sep 18th, 2013 06:39 PM

Claudia :facepalm:

Inger67 Sep 18th, 2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjurra (Post 33707369)
Well a 0-6 7-6 6-0 win could be an honest win and a 6-4 4-6 6-4 could be a fix. You can't tell by the score.

I was looking for a score where she won the first set and then lost the next two sets :rolleyes:

Typically you make more money if you're going to fix a match if you're betting live and are leading by a lot and then all of the sudden lose the match. Just like a poster has said previously.

An odd could be as high as 10 and someone betting $100-$1000 on a match could make quite a lot of money. Definitely more than she would get by winning a match in a 10K.

Shame she got banned where it most definitely happens in the higher levels of professional tennis yet nothing is done about it.