TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Classy Clijsters' Lounge (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   The reputation feature - LAST UPDATE: AUGUST 2003 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=59544)

Lynx Mar 7th, 2003 04:59 PM

The reputation feature - LAST UPDATE: AUGUST 2003

About reputation:

I've noticed a lot of people don't know about the new feature "reputation" yet. So let me share what I know (and still don't know) about it. :) Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere, or fill us in on the things I've missed...

- breaking news: there is a 2 byte storage limit :breaking news -

Latest news (discovered july 2003):
there is a 2 byte storage limit, meaning that the minimum and maximum reputation a member can have lies between

-32767 and +32767

About the bubbles and their colors:

next to your posts you see a little bubble. It can be black, green, gray or red - and there can be more than one. If you put your arrow over it a little info-label will come up, telling you something about your reputation. The better your reputation, the more flattering the info.
BLACK means your reputation is "off": others won't be able to see how you are doing reputation-wise. You can put it on or off in your user cp: click on user cp, click on options - it's the second option in the list.

GREEN means you have a good reputation. I think this means you have AT LEAST 1 point. First you'll get an extra one for every 100 points you reach; later on you'll need more than 100 points for each extra bubbles...

GRAY means you don't have a particular reputation. I THINK it means you have less than 1 point (and more than what? minus 10? I don't know.)

RED means you have a really bad reputation...

About points: looking them up, giving, and taking away...:
  • at the right from the "On/offline"-button you can see a little gray button which is supposed to represent a balance (in the red skin it's still the old mark right now - maybe it will change later). If you click on it under one of your own posts, a little window will pop up to tell you how many points you have. You'll also be able to see if that particular post has been approved or disapproved of, since every approval and disapproval (with their comments) will appear in the popup window.
    Another way to check your points in in your user control panel. You'll see he amount of points you have + the last five fifteen persons who rated you. (changed end June 2003 - thanks Danny)
    • A rating is positive if it's been represented by a green bubble .
    • It is neutral when the bubble is gray (the person rating you has not enough posts or reputation to give or take points).
    • It is negative when the bubble is red .
  • if you click on the "balance" (or the "v/x"-mark ) under a post of someone else, again a little window will pop up - but now you'll be able to choose between "I approve of this post" or "I disapprove". You cannot choose the amount of points you give or take away. That depends on several other things:
    • on the amount of POSTS you have. If you have a lot of posts, you'll give (or take!) a lot of points... if you have at least some reputation.
    • on the amount of REPUTATION POINTS you have. If you don't have any reputation at all (ie: your bubble is gray or red) you won't be able to give points. If you have a lot of points, you'll give (or take!) a lot of points... if you have at least some posts.
    • on seniority: the longer you're a member, the more points you'll be worth.
    There is still a lot of guessing in this, since it is not always clear why some people give so much more than others...
    This is what webmaster WTA_amanda has said about it:
    "Your reputation is also built up by how long you've been a member, the amount of posts you make, and a few other hidden factors like kissing up to adminstrators and moderators for example." :eek: An admin is able to rate without "spreading"- or "24 hours"-limitations... but he'll be giving only 10 50 points each time (see also "About restrictions") correction (July 2003): this has been changed from 10 to 50 points.
  • the amount of points you can take away (by disapproving of a post) is only about half of what you would give (by approving)

About comments: giving them, looking them up...:
  • when somebody rates you, you will be able to see which post s/he rated (or rather: to which thread the rated post belongs), when (date and time) s/he rated it, and who it was. You'll also see their comment - if they made one. You can see this info in your user cp. There is one restriction: you'll only see the last five fifteen... so if you receive a lot of reps while you're not aware of it (or while you're not around...) you may have missed a lot of your approvers/disapprovers... (Since this changed end June 2003 from five to fifteen, it's less probable you'll miss a lot of comments :p :) - thanks Danny!)
  • when rating somebody you can leave them a little comment. (You don't have to leave your name: it will automatically be attached.)
  • you can click on the rated thread, that will take you to the post that was rated...

About restrictions:

As far as I know, there are three restrictions in rating:
  1. you cannot rate the same post more than once
  2. you cannot rate the same person again unless you have "spread some reputation around" first - meaning, you have to rate others first (last report said 20, and 20 it is - thanks Toon)
  3. you can rate only 11 posters in 24 hours (again: thank you Toon); after that you'll have to wait till you're able to rate again...
  • An admin can rate without the "spreading" and "24 hours"-limitations... but he'll never give much (only 10 50 points...) correction (July 2003): this has been changed from 10 to 50 points

green dots & comments: when do they change:
note: some ppll (Mac-users?) don't see the comments
normally they pop up when you hold your mouse-arrow over the green (or gray or red) dots

100 pnts needed for each new dot
=> 50 pnts needed for a new comment
1 green dot: 1 to 100 points points
  • 1 to 50 "is on a distinguished road"
    => 100 pnts needed for each new comment
  • 51 to ... "will become famous soon enough"
2 green dots: 101 to 200 points
  • ... to 150 "will become famous soon enough"
  • 151 to ... "has a spectacular aura about"
3 green dots: 201 to 300 points
  • ... to 250 "has a spectacular aura about"
  • 251 to ... "is a jewel in the rough"
4 green dots: 301 to 400 points
  • ... to 350 "is a jewel in the rough"
  • 351 to ... "is just really nice"
5 green dots: 401 to 500 points
  • ... to 450 "is just really nice"
  • 451 to ... "is a glorious beacon of light"

=> 200 pnts needed for each new dot
6 green dots: 501 to 700 points
  • ... to 550 "is a glorious beacon of light"
  • 551 to 650 "is a a name known to all"
  • 651 to ... "is a splendid one to behold"
=> comment stays the same till 1000
7 green dots: 701 to 900 points
  • ... "is a splendid one to behold"
8 green dots: 901 to 1100 points
  • ... to 1000 "is a splendid one to behold"
  • 1001 to ... "has much to be proud of"
=> comment stays the same till 1500
9 green dots: 1101 to 1300 points
  • ... "has much to be proud of"
10 green dots: 1301 to 1500 points
  • ... to 1500 "has much to be proud of"

11 green dots: > 1500 points
=> no new dots to be had
  • 1501 to 2000 "has a brilliant future"
    => comment stays the same till 2000
  • > 2000 "has a reputation beyond repute"
=> this is the end of the line
=> comment doesn't change anymore

Leena Mar 7th, 2003 05:10 PM

Yep, my reputation is low. :sad:

Please give me sympathy points... especially since your Belgian girls are 5-0 over my Lena. :sad:

Lynx Mar 7th, 2003 05:15 PM

Leena :wavey:

You rep is better than mine... you got a "spectacular aura", it says; I've only just become "famous". :p

Can't rep you for the moment, btw - we swapped points last night, remember? :)

Leena Mar 7th, 2003 05:16 PM

Bah, that's right. :(

Others need to vote for me. Have mercy for the only Lena fan. :)

Mercury Rising Mar 7th, 2003 06:46 PM

Great post Lynx, thanx!

Kornelija Mar 7th, 2003 07:04 PM

Who do we need this? :confused:

Kornelija Mar 7th, 2003 07:05 PM

I just wanted to see what color do I have. :)

E. Blackadder Mar 7th, 2003 07:07 PM

you should post it in bug and error reportment, it's a real nice post lynx :)

keta Mar 8th, 2003 01:32 AM

:) Thankz for the imformation Mark! :)

Lynx Mar 8th, 2003 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhythmboy
you should post it in bug and error reportment, it's a real nice post lynx :)

Thanks. :D

I've thought about putting it in Bugs & Errors, but there are already so many threads about reputation in that forum... :eek: :)

Bigkimfan Mar 8th, 2003 08:35 AM

I'm so NOT popular :cool:

Stefke Mar 8th, 2003 01:38 PM

My reputation is low:sad::sad:

Frau Antje Mar 8th, 2003 05:19 PM

"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
how many reputations can I give during a day?

Lynx Mar 9th, 2003 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frau Antje
"You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later."
how many reputations can I give during a day?

I don't know. Not too many, it seems.

Sometimes, after waiting a bit, you're finally able to rep again... but then after 2 or 3 times you get that same annoying message again. :(

One way to find out is to wait a full 24 hours after you get that message, then see how many ppl you can rep in the next 24 hours before hitting the time limit again... :)

(I'm stuck too, for the moment... :( )

Stefke Mar 9th, 2003 03:09 PM

Why do I have such a bad reputation??:confused::sad: