TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Roland Garros (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1588)
-   -   Wild Cards predictions (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=522122)

Zin Apr 20th, 2013 06:32 PM

Wild Cards predictions

So, who will get the wild cards this year? :)

* For MD: the US WC will go to the best player of the 3 next US challenger tournaments. For now, Falconi and Riske lead the race. I guess the Australian WC will go to Barty.
I don't see many options for the 6 French girls: Foretz, Garcia, Feuerstein, Razzano, Rezaï and Pavlovic are pretty safe IMO because I honestly can't see anyone else getting these WCs :lol:

* For QD: normally the 8 WCs will go to French girls since last year junior champion (Beck) is already in MD. There is not a single girl who really stands out and the girls who are ranked closest to the qualies cut-off (Beltrame, Larrière, Georges, Lim) are having a poor year so far so the battle for these QWCs will be interesting in the next weeks. We'll probably have some surprises. I hope to see new faces in qualies like Océane Dodin, Constance Sibille or Irina Ramialison :)

joeh37 Apr 20th, 2013 06:51 PM

Re: Wild Cards predictions

Aus wildcard might go to Jarka, I'm pretty sick of Barty getting wildcards. She needs to prove herself more IMO.

For the 6 french ones. Razzano, Garcia, Rezai (if fit) Foretz and Feuerstein are locked in. then between Coin and Pavlovic.

QD Hesse and Sateun I think will get one as young (1993) improvers. Then obviously Beltrame, Larrierre, Georges and Lim.

But the French Federation have every right to throw in a curve ball. If I was giving them out as a neutral, Bencic deserves a QWC, obviously not being French she probably won't take one.

Cooper96 Apr 20th, 2013 06:56 PM

Has Barty ever played qualies at a Slam? TA should definitely give their WC to Gajdosova.

HOS Apr 22nd, 2013 12:11 AM

Aus- Barty
USA- USTA winner
Fra- Garcia (defo)
Fra-Feurestein- almost a certainty
Fra- Foretz
Fra- Razzano (old fav, esp after Serna win)
Fra- Pavlovic
Fra- Larriere (where has she been over the last few months? inj? Only bakc lst week I think)

As much as I like Rezai, think she shall miss out- unless she catches on fire over next few weeks.
Maybe Coin is the alt?

Can't see Jarka geting it over Barty. Casey moe of a chnace than Jarka

QDWC

1. Georges (athough she has been in terrible
2. Lim
3. Guisard (back from inj over last 12 months??
4. Hesse
5. Seaturn
6. Sibille
7. Ramialison (has played ok in ITF's over last month)
8. Maybe Beltrame ....or Thorpe....

Doubles WC (presuming Cornet, Mladenovic & JOhansson get in directly)

I'd be shockd if the first 2 don't get in, together as well
1. Foretz Coin
2. Beltrame Thorpe
3. Lim Larriere
4. Garica maybe with Pavlovic
5. Razzano Feurestein

6....not really anyone stands out for this one but maybe Georges Guisard

joeh37 Apr 22nd, 2013 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooper96 (Post 26959370)
Has Barty ever played qualies at a Slam? TA should definitely give their WC to Gajdosova.

2011 US open as a wild card aged 15 lost in QR1 to Glushko 4&4.
Other than that she's had 2 AO wildcards (understandable) the 2012 RG one and Wimbledon as junior champion.

StephenUK Apr 23rd, 2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeh37 (Post 27054322)
2011 US open as a wild card aged 15 lost in QR1 to Glushko 4&4.
Other than that she's had 2 AO wildcards (understandable) the 2012 RG one and Wimbledon as junior champion.

Barty will undoubtedly get the Aussie wild card - that's 5 wild cards in 6 GS and she only just turns 17 tomorrow, has she got the words WC tattooed on her arm or something? She must be on for some sort of Open era record and she has not even beaten anyone in the top 100 outside team competitions! Personally I think it is about time the ITF either abolished the 'wild card swap' or restricted it so that no player can receive more than 2 WCs into slams in the same 12 month period, because all these WCs for Barty is becoming beyond a joke. I would much rather the wild card went to some other prospect like Siniakova or a good CC player like Ormaechea than Barty.

The US will go to the USTA winner though again, I think that Maria Sanchez, who is yet to receive a GS main draw of any sort, is far more deserving than the likes of Falconi or Riske.

French girls will get the other 6 - my guess is Foretz Gacon, Garcia, Pavlovic, Razzano (for beating Serena), Feuerstein and either Rezai or Coin.

janko Apr 27th, 2013 11:14 AM

My predictions :

MD :
- Barty
- USTA winner
- Foretz
- Garcia
- Feuerstein
- Rezai
- Razzano
- Coin

Pavlovic has a 2nd round to defend but she really is in poor form

QWC :

- Larriere (if fit)
- Beltrame
- Thorpe
- Lim
- Georges
- Hesse
- Ramialison
- Suvrijn

Sibille is coming back from injury, Seateun also had some problems, same for Guisard, maybe Dodin, Arcangioli or De Bernardi if they perform well before the anouncement...

joeh37 Apr 29th, 2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenUK (Post 27066786)
Personally I think it is about time the ITF either abolished the 'wild card swap' or restricted it so that no player can receive more than 2 WCs into slams in the same 12 month period, because all these WCs for Barty is becoming beyond a joke.

That's a good system. I thought there were restrictions on WC anyway but they clearly don't apply at GS level.
My problem with the swap system currently. Is that due to the lack of comparable depth in Australia compared to USA and France, it's getting to the point where Barty is the only viable option.
Rogowska is never fit. Dellacqua has no prospects in singles anymore. Rodionovia is hated. And Jarka has a whole heap of health problems.

Sombrerero loco Apr 29th, 2013 09:46 PM

md:
rezai
garcia
feuerstein
foretz gacon
razzano
coin
usa: the winner of the tour
aus: barty

qwcs:
lim
georges
larriere
thorpe
beltrame
3 more that i dont know =P

colt13 Apr 30th, 2013 06:33 PM

I agree with Razzano and Garcia being locks, wouldn't be surprised to see some surprises for the MD. No predictions for qualies. Barty played Fed Cup, so I think she is a lock.

StephenUK May 1st, 2013 09:55 AM

Is Shelby Rogers currently leading the race for the US wild card?

StephenUK May 1st, 2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeh37 (Post 27400114)
That's a good system. I thought there were restrictions on WC anyway but they clearly don't apply at GS level.
My problem with the swap system currently. Is that due to the lack of comparable depth in Australia compared to USA and France, it's getting to the point where Barty is the only viable option.
Rogowska is never fit. Dellacqua has no prospects in singles anymore. Rodionovia is hated. And Jarka has a whole heap of health problems.

Australia is bringing the whole 'wild card' swap into disrepute because their players are not good enough to deserve wild cards into any slam besides their own. And I do think that it is totally wrong for any player to receive 3 wild cards into slams in the same 12 months, Barty is getting more favourable treatment than any other player of the Open era, including all the greats.

Wimbledon does not participate in this dodgy set up and gives out wild cards to foreign players on a much fairer basis - to the junior winner, to players who have excelled in the grass court run-up, and to players who have reached last 16 or better of Roland Garros. RG should ditch the wild card swap and come up with something similar for their last 2 wild cards in my opinion.

Kəv. May 1st, 2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenUK (Post 27066786)
Barty will undoubtedly get the Aussie wild card - that's 5 wild cards in 6 GS and she only just turns 17 tomorrow, has she got the words WC tattooed on her arm or something? She must be on for some sort of Open era record and she has not even beaten anyone in the top 100 outside team competitions! Personally I think it is about time the ITF either abolished the 'wild card swap' or restricted it so that no player can receive more than 2 WCs into slams in the same 12 month period, because all these WCs for Barty is becoming beyond a joke. I would much rather the wild card went to some other prospect like Siniakova or a good CC player like Ormaechea than Barty.

The US will go to the USTA winner though again, I think that Maria Sanchez, who is yet to receive a GS main draw of any sort, is far more deserving than the likes of Falconi or Riske.

French girls will get the other 6 - my guess is Foretz Gacon, Garcia, Pavlovic, Razzano (for beating Serena), Feuerstein and either Rezai or Coin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenUK (Post 27458762)
Australia is bringing the whole 'wild card' swap into disrepute because their players are not good enough to deserve wild cards into any slam besides their own. And I do think that it is totally wrong for any player to receive 3 wild cards into slams in the same 12 months, Barty is getting more favourable treatment than any other player of the Open era, including all the greats.

Wimbledon does not participate in this dodgy set up and gives out wild cards to foreign players on a much fairer basis - to the junior winner, to players who have excelled in the grass court run-up, and to players who have reached last 16 or better of Roland Garros. RG should ditch the wild card swap and come up with something similar for their last 2 wild cards in my opinion.

Why all the hate? :weirdo:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

binky-GOAT May 1st, 2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenUK (Post 27458762)

So why were you complaining when Ash got a Wimbledon WC last year?

#hypocrite

StephenUK May 1st, 2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binky-GOAT (Post 27459386)
So why were you complaining when Ash got a Wimbledon WC last year?

#hypocrite

No, I am not a hypocrite. Her Wimbledon wild card was far more deserved than her Roland Garros one because she had won the junior title and also a $50k on grass; but having said that, winning the junior title had not got Kris Pliskova a WC the previous year. I was objecting to her receiving wild cards into three successive grand slams, which I still think is ludicrous for any player, whatever their nationality - similar story with Melanie Oudin.