TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   4 Gay NFL Players to Potentially "Come Out" (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=518010)

iWill Apr 8th, 2013 04:21 PM

4 Gay NFL Players to Potentially "Come Out"

Came across this article and thought it may interesting to some of you all here. What do you think this could/would potentially do for other closeted male athletes. It seems homosexual female athletes have already become somewhat acceptable and almost expected but not as much for males, let alone a sport like American Football. Thoughts??? excuse the ratch that is embedded within

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/4/5...don-ayanbadejo

Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo was released by Baltimore this offseason, and on the heels of comments earlier this week where he suggested that he was cut in part because of his outspoken stance on gay rights and equality issues, Ayanbadejo clarified himself to the Baltimore Sun on Friday. During an hour-long interview he made it clear that he harbors no resentment toward the Ravens, and respects them for the support they offered him throughout his career both on and off the field. But that's not all.

When the conversation turned to his work with gay rights and the question of when we might see an openly gay player in the NFL, Ayanbadejo had this to say:

I think it will happen sooner than you think," Ayanbadejo said. "We're in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they're trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out."

In other words, everyone prepare themselves for the most insane day of the NFL offseason in human history. A day to make the sports world explode, basically.

And it would be awesome.

The one reason to worry about an NFL player coming out as gay would be the inevitable avalanche of horrible jokes, hateful responses, and insane scrutiny, all directed at one human being. Nobody deserves that, and it would be ugly. But as Ayanbadejo says, "If they could share the backlash, it would be more positive."

In addition to muting the backlash toward any one player, four players coming out in four different cities -- AT THE SAME DAMN TIME -- would get all kinds of love and support, too, spreading the acceptance around the country, making this a more universal sign of progress in the NFL and the sports world, in general.

"It's cool. It's exciting," says Ayanbadejo of the possibility. "We're in talks with a few guys who are considering it. The NFL and organizations are already being proactive and open if a player does it and if something negative happens. We'll see what happens." Yes we will.

le bon vivant Apr 8th, 2013 04:23 PM

Re: 4 Gay NFL Players to Potentially "Come Out"

Shawne Merriman

KournikovaFan91 Apr 8th, 2013 04:35 PM

I guess if all 4 came out together that would be quite groundbreaking and probably easier for them to deal with since they have others in the same boat as opposed to one sole guy coming out alone. :shrug:

Super Dave Apr 8th, 2013 04:46 PM

I'd love for it to happen, but I just fear that, especially in the NFL, if the guys coming out are truly active players, they will deal with so much shit on the field and in the locker room from neanderthal fans and teammates that it will ultimately drive them from the league.

Again, it would be great if a group came out in the NFL or any other league just so they could say, "We're here; we're everywhere; we're not going away. Deal with it", so we can get past it. I mean, this is 2013 ffs. Sexual orientation should not matter.

iWill Apr 8th, 2013 04:51 PM

Now I know there are way more than 4 gay players in the NFL so the fact that 4 are already in contact with each other and are considering it is a huge step already. They all are likely talking it over with their respective management teams and PR people to manage the hysterics that will surely follow. I also think this will encourage a few NBA players to follow because there are plenty of them too.

Ferg Apr 8th, 2013 05:59 PM

While I do think personally that private lives should be kept private, at the same time I feel that a famous gay athlete has a certain responsability to come out. Im a bit mixed on the matter. I think its very important for youngsters to see it, both straight and gay. The sooner it becomes a normal occurrence the sooner that homophobia will be stamped out slowly. If I was in that position I would disclose my sexuality but would only go that far, I wouldnt want any intrusion into my private life. One of the most famous G.A.A. players in the country came out here a few years ago and I think attitudes that become to soften. Not because of that but it certainly didnt do any harm. However I would never blame a player for deciding not to talk about it.

VeeJJ Apr 8th, 2013 06:04 PM

This would be pretty groundbreaking.

HippityHop Apr 8th, 2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferg (Post 26612138)
While I do think personally that private lives should be kept private, at the same time I feel that a famous gay athlete has a certain responsability to come out. Im a bit mixed on the matter. I think its very important for youngsters to see it, both straight and gay. The sooner it becomes a normal occurrence the sooner that homophobia will be stamped out slowly. If I was in that position I would disclose my sexuality but would only go that far, I wouldnt want any intrusion into my private life. One of the most famous G.A.A. players in the country came out here a few years ago and I think attitudes that become to soften. Not because of that but it certainly didnt do any harm. However I would never blame a player for deciding not to talk about it.

But you wouldn't get to make that call. It's like the famous people who have careers made by publicity having hissy fits when they are pursued by photographers and TMZers. And certainly a professional male athlete who comes out while he's playing is not going to have a private life. The press is going to try and run down every lover or one night stand that he's had. And you can be sure that some of them will love the limelight.

I thought that Ayanbadejo and Kordell Stewart (though he's no longer playing) would have come out by now anyway. :tape:

You can't have the sweet without the bitter. If you don't want the hassle of not having a private life, don't aim to be a star because the stalking comes with the territory. :shrug:

One of the best moments that I can recall was when one famous actor (George Clooney?) who didn't want the press following him around stepped out from one of his picture premieres in order to have his picture taken and all of the photographers put their cameras down. Loved it.:lol:

KournikovaFan91 Apr 8th, 2013 09:06 PM

If Kordell comes out I'll die laughing :lol: Take that Porsha :p

I don't think anyone has an obligation to come out, if they do props to them but if not and they wait till they retire I'm fine with that too.

iWill Apr 8th, 2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HippityHop (Post 26618434)

I thought that Ayanbadejo and Kordell Stewart (though he's no longer playing) would have come out by now anyway. :tape:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KournikovaFan91 (Post 26619050)
If Kordell comes out I'll die laughing :lol: Take that Porsha :p

I don't think anyone has an obligation to come out, if they do props to them but if not and they wait till they retire I'm fine with that too.

Hollering at these Kordell Stewart references, although he DID file for the divorce...:tape:
Ayanbadejo would be the one that everyone could say, "I knew it." :lol:

Inger67 Apr 8th, 2013 09:09 PM

This would be huge for sports all over.

dybbuk Apr 8th, 2013 09:13 PM

It seems unlikely to me that Ayanbadejo is gay. If you're gay in a homophobic profession like football, you're hardly going to want to bring a lot of attention to yourself by commenting on gay rights.

Inger67 Apr 8th, 2013 09:18 PM

Couldn't you argue the same way though, if you're straight and in a homophobic profession like football you wouldn't want to bring attention onto yourself by commenting on gay rights? :shrug:

Direwolf Apr 8th, 2013 09:21 PM

Pictures folks...

Then again... if ur eyesbrows are as thin as pencil lead... you need not come out... they already know...

iWill Apr 8th, 2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Planeteer (Post 26619514)
Pictures folks...

Then again... if ur eyesbrows are as thin as pencil lead... you need not come out... they already know...

Kordell Stewart

Brendon Ayanbadejo in OP but...