TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Mona Barthel (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1690)
-   -   Barthel's serve - discuss (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=505426)

pov Mar 12th, 2013 02:36 PM

Barthel's serve - discuss

Yes it's reasonably good but let's go beyond that. When watching close up it seems that she sometimes starts to put effort and tense muscles at the point of releasing the ball rather than staying relaxed until her forward motion. Thoughts?

King Halep Mar 12th, 2013 11:30 PM

Re: Barthel's serve - discuss

When did you turn up. How long until you start "analysing" her weight and physical appearance. This place was better without you

Tecumseh Mar 13th, 2013 12:02 AM

I think Mona could improve her serve by deploying her body a little more in her service motion. Right now her serve is mainly about her armswing in my opinion.

pov Mar 13th, 2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melange (Post 25459258)
When did you turn up.

Whoa!!! Grow up a little! I've been posting in Barthel threads before you jumped on the bandwagon. Same with Kvitova threads. I can't change your dislike but at least get your facts straight. And if you think that only people who share your viewpoints and thoughts should be fans of any player I'd guess you're going to have a tough time not just on forums but in life. So please grow up a little and don't start harassing me. Now scurry off - people with a real interest in Barthel's game are discussing things. Thanks.

pov Mar 13th, 2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tecumseh (Post 25460274)
I think Mona could improve her serve by deploying her body a little more in her service motion. Right now her serve is mainly about her armswing in my opinion.

Okay. I can see that. It fits as if she's using her armswing to generate almost all the power she'd need to tense those muscles at the point of release.

Raiden Mar 16th, 2013 12:27 AM

Come on guys, Mona has one of the very best serves out there. She was in the top ten of ace leaders in 2012, above Kvitova (who is universally regarded as one of the best servers).

So I don't buy the notion of Mona's serve being inadequate or mediocre (I know you didn't literally say that but that's what yer effectively implying with all that "she's muscling it" talk)

HowardH Mar 16th, 2013 06:35 AM

Her serve is strong. She favours slice serves in general, and sometimes she accidentally gets a bit of slice which she doesn't intend to have. It can appear on her second serve when she tries to go the backhand but slices it towards the centre of the box, but it also appears on her first serve when she tries to go up the T on the deuce side. Overall her serve is quite nice though.

Tecumseh Mar 16th, 2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 25570306)
Come on guys, Mona has one of the very best serves out there. She was in the top ten of ace leaders in 2012, above Kvitova (who is universally regarded as one of the best servers).

So I don't buy the notion of Mona's serve being inadequate or mediocre (I know you didn't literally say that but that's what yer effectively implying with all that "she's muscling it" talk)

I didnt't mean to imply anything and i know that Mona belongs to the best servers on tour. But even the best serve can be improved by little technical adjustments.

Hartson Mar 16th, 2013 07:37 AM

This year her serve is more consistent than in 2012. She's increased a percentage of the first serve (the speed became a little bit less though) and her second serve is improved.
Mona's first serve is one of the best on tour

yoite Mar 16th, 2013 10:23 AM

I think her serve can always be very well. If she can find out the feeling of serve, she can play a lot of aces in the match. But unfortunately, if she lose the felling, there also be a lot of double fault in the match.
Constancy is the main problem of her serve I think.:)

Setsuna. Mar 16th, 2013 10:34 AM

Her serve is great. Even better than last year. :shrug:

pov Mar 16th, 2013 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raiden (Post 25570306)

:facepalm: I don't know where all this is coming from. In fact - it's strange. IMO - like I said - Barthel has a good serve. Does that mean it can't be better? Do you not like to discuss ways in which your faves can improve? Not that any of this discussion is affecting them but, for me, part of being a tennis fan is discussing those things. To those who think that being a fan of a player equals thinking that player is near-perfect in all their aspects . . get over it. Even Federer has some wonky things.

The Dawntreader Mar 16th, 2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tecumseh (Post 25460274)

Indeed.

Barthel's strength and weakness on serve is how free and loose her racquet arm is.

pov Mar 16th, 2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoite (Post 25592490)
Constancy is the main problem of her serve I think.:)

Could be. Maybe in the moments I saw those close-ups her serve didn't feel flowing to her and like most players she sought to compensate.

IMO Barthel's serve doesn't need any reworking or major tweaking. I do think that she can benefit by staying more relaxed through it.

yoite Mar 17th, 2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pov (Post 25606570)
IMO Barthel's serve doesn't need any reworking or major tweaking. I do think that she can benefit by staying more relaxed through it.

I couldn't agree more.:thumbup:

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App