TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=491442)

Start da Game Feb 10th, 2013 05:07 PM

Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

vote and discuss.....

Royals. Feb 10th, 2013 05:10 PM

Re: Which of these is the Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis?

Serena's serve.

A beautiful weapon. :hearts:

Sir Stefwhit Feb 10th, 2013 05:11 PM

I have to go with the obvious and probably clear favorite of Serena's serve. Being that the technique is without flaw, it's reliable and remarkably consistent, and as a result it makes her serve really hard to break even when she's off and her ground game is isnt working. She can almost always count on her biggest weapon to be there.

Steffi's forehand was a fierce and deadly shot. I think what really made it stand out it was how hard she hit compared to all the other women on tour at the time. She doesn't get credit for helping to usher in Big Babe tennis because she sliced her backhand but she is definitely one of the pioneers of power. The one big drawback (and I'm not talking about her unorthodox technique of hitting the ball late and behind her) was that her forehand could have really really bad days. For some reason no one ever talks about my beloved Grafs unforced errors but contrary to what some may think she could really litter a a match with tons of errors. She was a stubborn player and when her forehand was off she would just keep going for it and trust that it would eventually auto-correct, which it obviously did more often than not.

Henin's backhand got all the glory at the expense of her awesome forehand. No one really gives Juju props of the forehand side but in truth it was the shot she used to set up her legendary backhand. She would work over the opponent with the forehand then close out the rally with the backhand. In addition to it being an effective weapon, she had incredible variety with that shot as well. I don't have a lot of bad things to say about her backhand except that as good as it was when u compare it to Serena's serve or Graf's forehand, IMO, it doesn't hold up in the same category.

Seles backhand was no better or worse than her forehand and that's why she was so damn tough to face, especially in the early 90s when power tennis wasn't the norm. Seles never gave you a break u couldn't hit to one side to gain the advantage cuz she was just as deadly and effective off either side. Her strokes, and more importantly her angles, were top notch, no doubt. I would make the argument that Seles best attribute was her deadly angles, there's just no answer to them. I think the biggest obstacle to Seles backhand (and forehand) was that she wasn't as good on the run. To counter Seles you need an attacking game and u need to be able to get her on the run. If u can do that u can somewhat neutralize her weapons. Unlike Serena's serve there is away to make her best shots less effective. Since Serena is more in control of her best shot it's a better shot.

Navratilova's volleys are the stuff of legends! And in its time was just as effective as any weapon in the list. The reason I'm not inclined to pick that shot is only because its not a shot that transcends time like Steffi's FH, Seles BH, or Serena's serve. In today's game Navratilova would have a hard time coming in as much as she would have liked and with today's technology making the returns better than ever Navrats best shot simply wouldn't be as effective as it was during her era.

Everts BH is probably not the biggest weapon but its without question THE MOST IMPORTANT AND TRANSFORMATIONAL shot listed. Evert (along with Connors) revolutionized the sport and ushered in a wave of double handed backhands. She had awesome timing, great depth, and precise placement- even if the power lacked compared to others it was still an effective weapon. Like I said its not the biggest when compared to the rest but it will forever go down in history.

Can't comment on King and Court- never seen them play....

Start da Game Feb 10th, 2013 05:11 PM

i voted for graf's forehand......nadal's forehand on the men's side......

kjsulliv Feb 10th, 2013 05:15 PM

Re: Single Greatest Shot of all time in Women's Tennis

Serena's serve, followed by Graf's forehand.

skanky~skanketta Feb 10th, 2013 05:23 PM

I'm surprised at the number of votes Serena's serve is getting seeing that Graf has a legion of die-hard fans in here.

That said, I'd go with Serena's serve as well. Almost impossible to break even when her ground game is total shit. Powerful, accurate, versatile and unreadable.

Second would be Graf's forehand.

dencod16 Feb 10th, 2013 05:24 PM

Sadly no weapon in the game is better than Serena's serve, it is miles ahead of any other weapon out there. She can play crap but her serve can save her, unlike other weapons that sort of rely on other shots as well, Her serve is on it's own.

Start da Game Feb 10th, 2013 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skanky~skanketta (Post 24272258)
I'm surprised at the number of votes Serena's serve is getting seeing that Graf has a legion of die-hard fans in here.

That said, I'd go with Serena's serve as well. Almost impossible to break even when her ground game is total shit. Powerful, accurate, versatile and unreadable.

Second would be Graf's forehand.

if people take a minute or two and patiently assess the times, the racket technology and other variables and then vote, serena wouldn't get so many votes......

graf's forehand hit with that old prostaff stick to me is the single greatest shot ever......that forehand had no answers......peak navratilova was left wondering on the court simply looking at the sheer precision and lethal force of that forehand......

Shonami Slam Feb 10th, 2013 05:31 PM

serve should have an asteriks by it - since you control this shot more than any other shot in the game.
in that aspect, Graf's abbility to hit perfectly timed forehands is more impressive, and Nav's volley's the most intelligent of them. Henin's backhand is probably the shot that requires most self belief (returning a serena bomb single handedly is something that federer usualy volley's back. even momo, with a much stronger upper build, mostly chopped back stronger serves most of her peak years).

the evert pass, and i may raise alot of accusations here and life threats - wasn't as impressive. yes - she perfected it, but i have many reasons to believe the speed of play left her plenty of time to prepare for her shot. it was almost practice session quality shot.

Start da Game Feb 10th, 2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shonami Slam (Post 24272554)
serve should have an asteriks by it - since you control this shot more than any other shot in the game.
in that aspect, Graf's abbility to hit perfectly timed forehands is more impressive, and Nav's volley's the most intelligent of them. Henin's backhand is probably the shot that requires most self belief (returning a serena bomb single handedly is something that federer usualy volley's back. even momo, with a much stronger upper build, mostly chopped back stronger serves most of her peak years).

the evert pass, and i may raise alot of accusations here and life threats - wasn't as impressive. yes - she perfected it, but i have many reasons to believe the speed of play left her plenty of time to prepare for her shot. it was almost practice session quality shot.

good points......i agree......

pancake Feb 10th, 2013 05:37 PM

Serena's serve, since you can always try to avoid hitting to one's forehand, but you can never play a match without your opponent's serving.

Start da Game Feb 10th, 2013 05:37 PM

people voting "other" please mention the player and the shot so that we all can know if there were really some amazing shots in the arsenal of relatively unknown players like helen moody, suzanne lenglen etc......

Sir Stefwhit Feb 10th, 2013 05:39 PM

....lol sorry I went on one of my long winded rants...sometimes I can't help myself...tee hee

pancake Feb 10th, 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sir Stefwhit (Post 24272914)
....lol sorry I went on one of my long winded rants...sometimes I can't help myself...tee hee

I agree with you that Henin's forehand is always overlooked, I think her forehand is actually more deadly than her backhand, but single-handed backhands always earn some extra credits it seems.

dencod16 Feb 10th, 2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Start da Game (Post 24272426)
if people take a minute or two and patiently assess the times, the racket technology and other variables and then vote, serena wouldn't get so many votes......

graf's forehand hit with that old prostaff stick to me is the single greatest shot ever......that forehand had no answers......peak navratilova was left wondering on the court simply looking at the sheer precision and lethal force of that forehand......

Racket technology has nothing to do with it, because if that is the case, why is generally the womens serve nowadays is weaker than before. It is all due to Serena's motion nothing else. the thing about other shots aside from serve and return is you can go around it, with the serve, the opponent cannot do anything if it is firing. And graf in today's game wouldn't have time to go around her forehand because of the pace of the ball. And if Serena was playing in Navratilova/Graf era, she would have been more lethal with a serve like that, even graf's serve looked good during that era, which is still below Serena's.