TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What type of player's personality attract fans? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=489161)

Leo St Feb 3rd, 2013 08:43 PM

What type of player's personality attract fans?

i dont get tennis fans sometimes.. some people are always complaining about players ways, behavior in defeat, during matches, on interviews, seeming to forget were talking about human beings, necessarily susceptible to bitterness, sadness, jealousy, angryness, relieve, stress, fear.. its like those were forbidden reactions to those young and unexperienced girls..

so, given this situation, perhaps theres a certain type of personality that is stabilished by the fans as the players goal, what they must aim in order to be apreciated and respected.. so, in a retorical question i wonder.. what is it?

is it the fearless fight of errani?

is it the venus switzerland williams act?

is it the self confidence of azarenka?

or maybe sharapova's focused inner strenght behavior?

it surprisingly wasnt wozniacki's sweet country girl ways

this thread sure has its dose of sarcasm but any clever person can extract the essence of it and i hope its enough to create not only a good discussion but a reflection in the ones who participate

Excelscior Feb 3rd, 2013 09:01 PM

Re: What type of player's personality attract fans?

Please, you don't want to go there. :eek: :eek:

And some of the players fans, have nothing to do with how the players act on the court. :lol:

Some folks are fans of certain players for the simplest, shallowest, most inane reasons.

Maybe others will elaborate. However, I'll stay out of this. :lol: :oh: :lol:

Leo St Feb 3rd, 2013 09:17 PM

thanks for your reply.. i dont think many will elaborate as this is not a "whos the better player" discusssion

it-girl Feb 3rd, 2013 09:37 PM

What attracts me most to a player is their game style. I love athletic players with a big power game. What turns me off is excessive hype. When a player is hyped beyond my capacity to tolerate it, it doesn't matter what type of personality they have. At that point they will never enter my favorites list or list to support every now and then. So for me it's not the personality that draws me in, it's their natural ability to have me in awe of their athletic ability. Which is why I love Venus Williams so much. She has made some shots and gets that are unreal and and the way she moves to the net is just a thing of beauty.

So for me it is what the player can do to impress me. It is about what I can see with my own eyes and not based off of what the media wants me to see. To me if your results and legacy have cemented your place in history, there is no need for hype. The natural talent of Venus and Serena made them worldwide icons. There is no need for hype because they have a buzz around them where ever they go. Fans are already naturally interested because of their accomplishments whether they love them or hate them.

Now the media is so desperate to try to make stars that you really can't get to like some of the players because of the immediate hype. Even if a player has a great personality like Wozniacki as you mentioned, if they don't like their game they will be dogged out.

So for me it's their athletic ability, raw power and lack of undeserved over the top hype that draws me to even be remotely interested in a player.

adam_ads_n Feb 3rd, 2013 10:00 PM

For me it's a combination of on court and off court behaviour. No matter how good was player on court, I would not support anyone who is rude off court.

For example - I know I would be always cheering Sloane Stephens (unless she plays Marta :p) because she is a very good player, never gives up and doesn't lose matches in her dressing room and off court she is a very smart and funny person, and - from her behaviour - surely a good girl who will not make too much of controversy. At least I hope for this.

I really like players who use their fame for good off court activities - such as charity or finding new tennis talents (for example: I like Wozniacki for this fact - she opened a tennis school in Poland few months ago). And I totally hate players who try to get fame from their controversy.

Stonerpova Feb 3rd, 2013 10:07 PM

A lot of crowds are whores for anyone who can hit winners and fist-pump :lol:

What attracts me to a player is intensity and desire more than anything. A close second is an aesthetically pleasing game.

MaSharp Feb 3rd, 2013 10:20 PM

I love Sharapova's fighting spirit and focus so much! I love her game to, but her mental strength and desire to win matches...This also has Serena and some other players ofcourse. But for me Sharapova is so unique. She really reminds me of ice becouse of her coldness. =P

nazzac Feb 3rd, 2013 10:29 PM

A players game appeals to me first, and the personality comes 2nd. But i won't support a player who's personality or attitude i don't like. Personality plays a big part for me.

My Faves all have personalities i like. Tsonga is a good guy despite what he said about women the other week (which i think was misunderstood). Del Po is possibly the classiest guy on tour. Kei seems like a great guy too from what i've seen, and Slava is a sweetheart who seems to always be positive. The ones below, i like based on their game more than anything else, but they aren't my faves really, just players i like.

But different personalities attract different people i suppose. Thats why everyone has different faves.

DevilishAttitude Feb 3rd, 2013 10:34 PM

An excellent example of a player who can attract fans is Schiavone, through her never-say-die attitude. She also plays the "right" way to certain sections of crowds and uses her personality perhaps better than anyone when on-song.

Wiggly Feb 3rd, 2013 10:46 PM

It depends on the crowd.

Wimbledon may prefer someone like Federer but fans in New York will prefer a more intense personality.

In regards to fistpumping, there's a fine line between intensity and insecurity.
A top 20 player shouldn't be excited to hit a winner past a journeywoman, that should be expected. See Ivanovic as a prime example.

Cosmic Voices Feb 3rd, 2013 10:56 PM

I enjoy:

- Masha's focus
- Empresses refusal to use a towel
- Novak's comedy
- Serena's evil hand minion
- Rogers under-the-breath mumblings
- Rafa's bull fighter court sprint
- Andy's facial expressions
- Kirilenko's hockey tactics :oh:

laurie Feb 3rd, 2013 10:59 PM

Well these are some of my favourite players over the years who I followed more than others:

Monica Seles
Mary Pierce
Jennifer Capriati
Amelie Mauresmo
Svetlana Kuznetsova
Petra Kvitova
Angelique Kerber
And to a slightly lesser extent I always followed Venus Williams and Chanda Rubin.

All vastly different personalities and game styles so no real pattern from my perspective.

PS, may add Mona Barthel to my list soon :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using VerticalSports.Com App

ZeroSumGame Feb 3rd, 2013 11:05 PM

Love players who attract non-hard core tennis viewers, fair play, fierce competitive instincts, mental tenacity, style, charm, out going personality, funny & multi-talented both on & off court ...and just being who they're, ie do not suck up to the media or haters :cool:

Such a package is marketable & helps to promote the tour :)

Royals. Feb 3rd, 2013 11:13 PM

Self belief and desire :)

Aryman3 Feb 4th, 2013 05:19 AM

Taking into account last votings for fan favorite titles the biggest chances have primitive pushers without arms pretending to be important enough to criticize real great tennis players