TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   LGBT Rights (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=488602)

Bartosh Feb 2nd, 2013 04:49 PM

LGBT Rights

I'm really interested how things are changing all over the world and it would be great to hear from you guys (considering how many gay guys we have on tennis forum :p ) how your countries deal with all those issues :) It seems like French parliament will approve gay marriage bill in a few days + Same Sex Marriage Bill was introduced to the British Parliament this month (and I think all of the biggest UK parties are in favour) so it looks like we may have 3 (as Finland is also going through the legalization process) more countries in EU with same-sex marriage :) From other parts of the world - New Zealand and Uruguay are probably going to pass their bills this year :D

any other news? :wavey:

moby Feb 2nd, 2013 05:03 PM

Re: LGBT Rights

This picture sums it up for Singapore. (377a is the law outlawing homosexual acts between men.)

debby Feb 2nd, 2013 06:59 PM

France has just voted the main article (article 1) of the gay marriage law. ;)
So now, it's just a matter of time and all. Gay people will be able to get married to their partners in march and to adopt kids.

GOATdin0931 Feb 2nd, 2013 07:36 PM

:facepalm:

Kairi Feb 2nd, 2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moodin0931 (Post 23983978)

? :unsure:

Nicolás89 Feb 2nd, 2013 07:58 PM

Chile: Last year congress passed the anti discrimination law and the president introduced a bill allowing couples to have civil unions including same sex couples it is being discussed but since this is an election year it will probably pass (or not) in the upcoming years.

Novichok Feb 2nd, 2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

:rolls:

Bartosh Feb 2nd, 2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolás89 (Post 23984514)
Chile: Last year congress passed the anti discrimination law and the president introduced a bill allowing couples to have civil unions including same sex couples it is being discussed but since this is an election year it will probably pass (or not) in the upcoming years.

good to know :D and what is the social attitude towards gay people as for me Chile seems like the most macho-type country in SA?

for my country - Poland - there's a furious debate right now because parliament rejected very narrowly the bill legalizing civil unions. Also our transsexual MP is very likely to become deputy speaker of parliament in a few days :) but still we are one of the least tolerant nations in EU - only around 5% of the population support adoption rights for gay couples and 27% are in favour of same-sex marriage.

Keegan Feb 2nd, 2013 08:29 PM

David Cameron is pushing for gay marriage in the UK. According to an article I read last week it could discussed/voted on as soon as February 5, but I'm not sure as to the viability of that.

Bartosh Feb 2nd, 2013 08:39 PM

seems like it's going to be an easy process in the UK as Labour Party, LibDems and majority of Conservatives are in favour of the bill :)

Nicolás89 Feb 2nd, 2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Weren't you gay a couple of weeks ago? :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartosh (Post 23985458)
good to know :D and what is the social attitude towards gay people as for me Chile seems like the most macho-type country in SA?

It is a macho type country and unfortunely a very intolerant country still but that has been changing really fast over the last couple of years. And anyway it is an intolerant country in the way that we aren't used to see out of closet gay couples in the streets or in our jobs or whatever but chilean society is firmly against discrimination, bullying, violence against gays and pride parades are most embraced (there are like 20 parades supporting gays and gay rights in Santiago every year:spit:) anyway it is not a bad country for gays I would say. :)

dybbuk Feb 2nd, 2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moby (Post 23978554)
This picture sums it up for Singapore. (377a is the law outlawing homosexual acts between men.)

I've always found this to be crazy. I've spoken to Singaporean friends (who are all younger generation) and some of them didn't even realize male homosexuality was technically illegal in Singapore. I find it mind-boggling how many archaic English laws are still in place in Singapore that they won't get rid of (some of which aren't even much enforced anymore).

Pops Maellard Feb 2nd, 2013 09:00 PM

Gay marriage is 'in talks' in New Zealand I know that much :).

Gays can adopt in New Zealand but gay couples can't :scratch:. I haven't heard of any talks about that

Cajka Feb 3rd, 2013 01:10 AM

It's pretty bad in Serbia. Last year the Gay pride march was banned. Serbian police basically admitted that they were incapable of preventing incidents, so they banned it for security reasons. :tape: Also, Serbian Orthodox Church didn't approve Gay pride.

Monzanator Feb 3rd, 2013 05:27 AM

In Poland the lower house of parliament voted against establishing LGBT civil unions just recently with 40+ members of the leading party even voting against that :lol: Obviously there's not a chance of allowing same sex marriage and child adoption right now as well :D