TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   White Jamaicans (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=487361)

pov Jan 30th, 2013 09:28 PM

White Jamaicans

Recently I've begun to notice that many people don't think there are white Jamaicans. So:

Slammer7 Jan 30th, 2013 09:58 PM

Re: White Jamaicans

There are not only White Jamaicans, but Asian and Indian Jamaicans. If people don't know that Jamaica is multicultural just like all Caribbean islands then they are just ignorant. The Caribbean has been a hub of trade for centuries and tradesman have stayed there, brought their families over and raised them there. They also have married locals and established some truly unique fusions in culture and tradition. Chinese Jamaicans and Chinese Trinidadians have some truly amazing fusion cuisine. I've lived across the street from Indian Trinidadians and the Ragga and Reggae would be pumping on a Saturday night. :lol:

The Witch-king Jan 31st, 2013 06:44 AM

:o They need to go back to their country

alex.2812 Jan 31st, 2013 07:34 AM

I'd love to visit Jamaica one day. Last summer I had the choice between Cuba and Jamaica but I chose Cuba.

Londoner Jan 31st, 2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwiny Tyeka Cwer (Post 23889401)

Stupid.

And if Europeans say that about blacks born in Europe?

No one has a country that belongs solely to them. Everyone descends from immigrants. Including black Jamaicans.

The Witch-king Jan 31st, 2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Londoner (Post 23890065)
Stupid.

And if Europeans say that about blacks born in Europe?

Like they don't :lol:

Quote:

No one has a country that belongs solely to them. Everyone descends from immigrants. Including black Jamaicans.
:o Black Jamaicans are not immigrants

Talula Jan 31st, 2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwiny Tyeka Cwer (Post 23890201)

:o Black Jamaicans are not immigrants

They are. They are of African descent. Buy a history book.

Beat Jan 31st, 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

i really, really hope you're being facetious.

Helen Lawson Jan 31st, 2013 10:11 AM

In the novel, Helen marries, like her fourth time, a guy who has a plantation in Jamaica, but the marriage goes rotten and Helen is back on Broadway in a new musical by the end of the novel. But they don't know how to do hair in Jamaica, so all of Helen's hair was burned off and she's bald and wearing a wig when Neely tears it off in the ladies room after Helen makes a gay-remark about Neely's twins, Bud and Jud.

Drake1980 Jan 31st, 2013 03:47 PM

Random thread :eek: :)

azdaja Jan 31st, 2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammer7 (Post 23882201)
There are not only White Jamaicans, but Asian and Indian Jamaicans. If people don't know that Jamaica is multicultural just like all Caribbean islands then they are just ignorant. The Caribbean has been a hub of trade for centuries and tradesman have stayed there, brought their families over and raised them there. They also have married locals and established some truly unique fusions in culture and tradition. Chinese Jamaicans and Chinese Trinidadians have some truly amazing fusion cuisine. I've lived across the street from Indian Trinidadians and the Ragga and Reggae would be pumping on a Saturday night. :lol:

all this is nothing new even though surprisingly few people know about it. back in the day when sean paul was ruling the charts i remember reading how he had black, white and chinese ancestors. the instrumental of his big hit "get busy" is called "diwali", which is an indian holiday. trinidad has one of the biggest ethnic south asian populations in the world.

however, it is not the only misconception people have about people from a certain country. brazil is much bigger than jamaica yet so many people fail to realise most brazilians are white.

Keegan Jan 31st, 2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwiny Tyeka Cwer (Post 23890201)
Like they don't :lol:

Nope. I haven't told anyone to go back to their country. Neither have my friends, family, teachers and lecturers and pretty much everyone else I've ever encountered in Europe. Don't generalize. Besides, if I were to go back to my country, I'd be going back to South Africa. I'm sure if these guys returned to their country, they'd stick in Jamaica.

miffedmax Jan 31st, 2013 07:40 PM

If we follow "go back to our country" logic to its extreme don't we all eventually end up in Ethopia?
It's going to be really fucking crowded.

Infiniti2001 Feb 1st, 2013 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammer7 (Post 23882201)

This!! The Caribbean is a unique place and everyone (Americans especially) should try to visit an island or two in their lifetime.. There are more Syrians than in some parts of Syria , all of whom seem to be Christian in my homeland St Lucia, and there are so many white people too. If you're not St Lucian and you hear them talking the native language Kweyol which is a French dialect , you will freak out :lol:Same goes for Indians and Chinese...

Infiniti2001 Feb 1st, 2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

IGNORANT :o