TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sloane Stephens on CNN & Ellen Show today (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=487305)

dagamezbest Jan 30th, 2013 05:10 PM

Sloane Stephens on CNN & Ellen Show today

So today Sloane was on was on CNN talking about her recent win over Serena Williams and how she plans to be in the top 10 by the end of summer 2013. Later today she will be on the Ellen show as well. It says alot about Serena that when she loses it is talk show worthy not to mention Sloane didnt even win the tournament. I like Sloane alot, however she needs to chill with the media. The media isnt going anywhere she needs to focus on her tennis. The more we see Sloane on television talking about her win over Serena and future of tennis hype, the worse her next beatdown will be by Serena. I hope she knows what she is doing.

JanNYC Jan 30th, 2013 06:06 PM

Re: Sloane Stephens on CNN & Ellen Show today

so they are still acting like she didn't just barely beat (Serena UE'd herself to that loss) a Serena who was on a bad back and one ankle? they are going to act like they didn't see Serena hitting 1st serves under 90mph? chile ok...I like Slonae, but i'm deathly afraid that she's beginning to believe her own hype

Trickle Jan 30th, 2013 06:12 PM

I like Sloane but this is Melanie Oudin all over again. :tape:

bobito Jan 30th, 2013 06:20 PM

This doesn't surprise me to be honest. Didn't John Isner do a tour of US talk shows after his Wimbledon borefest against Mahut? He fails to break the serve of the guy ranked 148 in the World 86 times in a row and all of a sudden he's a hero.

JLG Jan 30th, 2013 06:20 PM

The media initiates those things though, and they know that atleast they may have another Chanda. I don't see a problem with it, and actually she's finally making some real money which will help her game if you ask me.

If her heads right....and judging from her mother I think it is

SophiaTennis Jan 30th, 2013 06:25 PM

I understand why Stephens would want to take advantage of the media attention, possibly get significant sponsors, etc. Naturally she is proud of her accomplishments, and she did take advantage of a big opportunity. But usually people who do media actually won the tournament.

If I were one of her advisors, I'd tell her to stay away from that stuff until she actually wins tournaments. Because if your focus is on winning tournaments and grand slams, then there is nothing to celebrate until you actually WIN one.

The media/USTA is so anxious to produce a star, and often highlights athletes before they are sure of the athete's career trajectory. Oudin is the obvious example, but also Alexandra Stevenson, who went to the Wimbledon semis from qualies. If I recall correctly, Stevenson was named to some Barbara Walters list, did tons of media, and look at her career.

Not sure Stephens understands yet that everyone else on the WTA will now be gunning for her. Things won't be easier from here on out, they'll be much, much harder. We'll see what happens.

Pump-it-UP Jan 30th, 2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dagamezbest (Post 23873377)
So today Sloane was on was on CNN talking about her recent win over Serena Williams and how she plans to be in the top 10 by the end of summer 2013. Later today she will be on the Ellen show as well. It says alot about Serena that when she loses it is talk show worthy not to mention Sloane didnt even win the tournament. I like Sloane alot, however she needs to chill with the media. The media isnt going anywhere she needs to focus on her tennis. The more we see Sloane on television talking about her win over Serena and future of tennis hype, the worse her next beatdown will be by Serena. I hope she knows what she is doing.

So she should turn down these offers? It's not like she withdrew from a tournament this week to go talk to Ellen. :lol: Her net worth has probably quadrupled over the past week. This is terrific exposure for both her and the sport. I don't see why she should be criticized for this.

adam_ads_n Jan 30th, 2013 06:29 PM

I hope this will be put on Ellen's or CNN's channels on youtube.

Sloane really seems to be a very positive and cool young girl, who's got the great attitude (such a smart girl off court... and on court as well!).

Alarmed Jan 30th, 2013 06:32 PM

As usual, Serena making people's careers.

MG1 Jan 30th, 2013 06:43 PM

As long as they don't base the interviews solely on "OMG you beat Serena!!" which we all know wouldn't have happened if Serena had been remotely healthy, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. As long as Sloane stays focused on tennis and continues improving, it shouldn't be a problem that she's becoming a bigger star. She's got a lot of potential. She's got a good personality and I think a lot of people who watch her on these shows will like her/become a fan, which is good for the sport since it could bring in some viewers/new fans.

ZeroSumGame Jan 30th, 2013 06:44 PM

Oudin will be back to earth, it's matter of time :lol::lol:

JLG Jan 30th, 2013 06:46 PM

I think Ellen is a tennis-head anyway. lol

nfl46 Jan 30th, 2013 06:47 PM

This is her opportunity to gain even more exposure. As she stated, "I don't want to be old and broke!" Get that money, Sloane! She's 19 and already made around 1.5 million in tour earnings. Not bad at all!

Joe. Jan 30th, 2013 06:53 PM

I love her :lol:

stegall Jan 30th, 2013 07:04 PM

Sloane has a great personality,I don't think there's anything wrong with her accepting these offers. I think the portion of the media that puts too much pressure on her/USA players is namely Espn commentators.