TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Caroline Wozniacki (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1228)
-   -   Womens Tennis in General, vol. 2 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=485074)

DownInAHole Jan 27th, 2013 07:19 AM

Womens Tennis in General, vol. 2

The original thread has hit five thousand posts so here is volume two.

Here is the original thread:
http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=444696

Protoss Jan 27th, 2013 11:09 AM

Re: Womens Tennis in General, vol. 2

Vika is 56-2 (97%) on hard court since 2012 against players not named Serena and excluding a 3-3 retirement to Paszek. She was 0-2 against Serena in this time period.

Her record is 72-5 (94%) if you go back to Toronto in 2011. This includes her bizarre attempted tank loss against Bartoli at the 2011 YEC. She's 0-4 against Serena in this time period.

It would be nice if someone else besides Serena stepped up against her on hard court.

DownInAHole Jan 27th, 2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoss (Post 23743314)
It would be nice if someone else besides Serena stepped up against her on hard court.

Someone will eventually.

Burisleif Jan 27th, 2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownInAHole (Post 23736170)
The "ignore" feature is a magical thing. If I find someone's posts bothersome to read I just put them on ignore.

Being bothersome or having a different opinion isn't the issue, being a troll is. :)

Jorn Feb 1st, 2013 06:36 PM

anybody watching Mona vs Marion?

Mona 7-6, *3-2... important match for Caro... ;)

Jorn Feb 1st, 2013 06:54 PM

Mona beat Bartoli :)

Caro will be No. 10 again in a week!

Chrissie-fan Feb 1st, 2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorn (Post 23945969)
Mona beat Bartoli :)

Caro will be No. 10 again in a week!

:bounce:

goldenlox Feb 1st, 2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoss (Post 23743314)
Vika is 56-2 (97%) on hard court since 2012 against players not named Serena and excluding a 3-3 retirement to Paszek. She was 0-2 against Serena in this time period.

Her record is 72-5 (94%) if you go back to Toronto in 2011. This includes her bizarre attempted tank loss against Bartoli at the 2011 YEC. She's 0-4 against Serena in this time period.

Serena & Vika won 4 of the last 5 majors, & Olympics, YEC.
Off clay, those 2 have pulled away from the pack

Protoss Feb 9th, 2013 03:16 PM

I find it curious that a few players that aren't playing Fed Cup this weekend due to injury or illness are in the Doha draw.

terjw Feb 9th, 2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoss (Post 24214953)
I find it curious that a few players that aren't playing Fed Cup this weekend due to injury or illness are in the Doha draw.

Yeah - makes you wonder. I think you can group top players into:
  1. Proud to play for their country and turn up and play.
    e.g. Petra, Aga, Errani, Vinci, Dani
  2. Have given outstanding service in the past but has decline (age, injuries, ability):
    e.g. JJ
  3. Have oscillated between being lukewarm and wanting to play:
    e.g Ana (similar to Justine)
  4. Pointless playing - no other player to support her, no possibilty of the team doing anything.
    e.g. Caro.
  5. Disputes and special circumstances.
    e.g Marion.
  6. Just couldn't give a f*ck.
    e.g. Serena, Pova
I'll never blame JJ. She'd die for her country (as would Novak) and she has given outstanding service. Time for the other girls to step up.

I'm sorry but I can't forgive Ana (or Justine). I think they gave their all sometimes but let their country down leaving JJ and Kim on their own at other times when they had a shot with two top players of winning the cup. With Serbia - it was going to be 3 years - zonal 1, WG2, WG1 to win it. But then it was another unneccesary 2 years dipping downn to WG2.

Marion? Why isn't she playing? I thought she was now in the team and with Momo as captain - the dispute had been resolved at long last.

Vika? I guess I'll put her in the same category as Caro. But it is different. Belarus are in zone 1 not zone 3. And I'm not convinced they couldn't have got up to WG2 qualies if Vika was playing. And she's a better doubles player than Caro. She might be able to win a tie single-handed.

Serena and Pova? Their Fed Cup participation record is just appalling. They only play when they have to for the Olympics. What a contrast to those players who do take pride playing for their country.

Needless to say my fav team this year to win is Czech. And I do so want GB and Poland to make it to the WG2 qualies and to win and make it to WG2.

Protoss Feb 11th, 2013 05:23 PM

It's pretty surprising that Bartoli's dad is no longer her coach.

With that change as well as Lisicki's, I can't think of anyone in the top 100 who still has a parent as a coach besides Caro.

KleineBiere Feb 11th, 2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoss (Post 24314121)
It's pretty surprising that Bartoli's dad is no longer her coach.

With that change as well as Lisicki's, I can't think of anyone in the top 100 who still has a parent as a coach besides Caro.

Kirilenko!?

Protoss Feb 12th, 2013 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KleineBiere (Post 24314537)
Kirilenko!?

Doh. I don't know why I forgot about her. :(

Protoss Feb 12th, 2013 02:20 AM

So who all counts as a contender for the hard court premier 5s, premier mandatories, and grand slams?

marineblue Feb 12th, 2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Protoss (Post 24328514)
So who all counts as a contender for the hard court premier 5s, premier mandatories, and grand slams?

Serena :shrug: :lol: