TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=485042)

Tennisation Jan 27th, 2013 05:51 AM

Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
It's the slam that seems to produce the most injuries probably due to the sticky plexicushion surface. It's the first slam of the year and already so many mishaps (eg. Serena's ankle, Na falling twice and hitting her head). Players shouldn't be injured left and right this early in the calendar year. It makes more sense to see it happening towards the end of the year due to fatigue or wear and tear. At this point, they need to consider player's safety first. What should they change it to, and who would it benefit more if they do change it?

nathanj594 Jan 27th, 2013 06:02 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
I don't care what they change it to, but please! For the love of all that is good and great, PLEASE speed the shit up. I swear, on some of those days it felt like I was watching some matches on those godawful blue clay courts in Madrid last year. Why do they have to be so slow? Okay, getting back to topic. I believe something needs to be done. Serena's cooked her ankle twice now on that Plexicrap. I know I might be called biased because I stan for her, but good grief. What's it going to take? Another Mary Pierce-like injury to happen on this stuff before they do something? I want Rebound Ace back.

Caesar1844 Jan 27th, 2013 06:03 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Yes, they need to change it because of the risk of injury to my eyes.

BTW Rebound Ace was even more dangerous than Plexicushion. It got uneven ripples in it and was sticky in the heat. Bring back fast grass.

Mattographer Jan 27th, 2013 06:07 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennisation (Post 23735082)
It's the slam that seems to produce the most injuries probably due to the sticky plexicushion surface. It's the first slam of the year and already so many mishaps (eg. Serena's ankle, Na falling twice and hitting her head). Players shouldn't be injured left and right this early in the calendar year. It makes more sense to see it happening towards the end of the year due to fatigue or wear and tear. At this point, they need to consider player's safety first. What should they change it to, and who would it benefit more if they do change it?

Serena and Na lose their balance, not the surface's fault :shrug:

casholic Jan 27th, 2013 06:14 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Yes IMO they should change it to a less sticky surface. I'm not sure what needs to be done for that to happen but I think it should change. I remember another poster here posting about it before talking about how dangerous the surface was because of a certain injury that could happen with the ankle. Something like a stuck foot idk.

In The Zone Jan 27th, 2013 06:15 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanj594 (Post 23735258)
I don't care what they change it to, but please! For the love of all that is good and great, PLEASE speed the shit up. I swear, on some of those days it felt like I was watching some matches on those godawful blue clay courts in Madrid last year. Why do they have to be so slow? Okay, getting back to topic. I believe something needs to be done. Serena's cooked her ankle twice now on that Plexicrap. I know I might be called biased because I stan for her, but good grief. What's it going to take? Another Mary Pierce-like injury to happen on this stuff before they do something? I want Rebound Ace back.

To be different than the US Open.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the court. I think we are seeing unfit players - not physically, but match play, from the layoff of the seasons, and their lack of footwork is showing.

Serena's rollover would have happened anywhere. Li's was just lack of concentration. Not the surface.

Tennis Fool Jan 27th, 2013 06:29 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Wasn't the problem with injuries the reason they changed the last surface, Rebound Ace?

Trickle Jan 27th, 2013 06:43 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Why can't the AO be the carpet slam? Not sure if carpet causes more injuries or not... but on a tangent, I don't understand why there has to be two HC slams when there are four such surfaces. It would make sense to have a carpet season too. Mix up the variety.

As for the original question, I think Na and Serena were just unlucky. If maybe 30-40% of players started rolling their ankle, I could understand.

Nicolás89 Jan 27th, 2013 06:48 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
The previous green surface was worse if I recall correctly. Players always complained on how sticky and hot the cort would get, this surface is definitely an improvement on that regard.

JarkaFish Jan 27th, 2013 07:07 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Yes, change to a faster lower bouncing surface please; similar to Rebound Ace would be good thx.

Talula Jan 27th, 2013 07:20 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nathanj594 (Post 23735258)
I don't care what they change it to, but please! For the love of all that is good and great, PLEASE speed the shit up. I swear, on some of those days it felt like I was watching some matches on those godawful blue clay courts in Madrid last year. Why do they have to be so slow? Okay, getting back to topic. I believe something needs to be done. Serena's cooked her ankle twice now on that Plexicrap. I know I might be called biased because I stan for her, but good grief. What's it going to take? Another Mary Pierce-like injury to happen on this stuff before they do something? I want Rebound Ace back.

I agree about speeding it up. The slowing down has happened everywhere including Wimbledon for Heaven's sake. I think they've done it to accommodate clay specialists and the men's power game, hence these interminable 5 set marathons which have little to do with tennis, more stamina challenges.

Nicolás89 Jan 27th, 2013 07:34 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JarkaFish (Post 23735938)
Yes, change to a faster lower bouncing surface please; similar to Rebound Ace would be good thx.

You described the opposite of rebound ace. :unsure:

JarkaFish Jan 27th, 2013 07:39 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicolás89 (Post 23736474)
You described the opposite of rebound ace. :unsure:

Rebound Ace is faster and lower-bouncing than Plexicuhion. :shrug:

Obviously RA wouldn't be considered a true fast and low-bouncing surface, but relative to Plexicushion it is; the AO should always be the slow hardcourt tournament but they've gone a bit extreme with this Plexicushion stuff.

Mattographer Jan 27th, 2013 07:49 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JarkaFish (Post 23736522)
Rebound Ace is faster and lower-bouncing than Plexicuhion. :shrug:

Obviously RA wouldn't be considered a true fast and low-bouncing surface, but relative to Plexicushion it is; the AO should always be the slow hardcourt tournament but they've gone a bit extreme with this Plexicushion stuff.

Um, no. That's where you're wrong :o

Rebound Ace is slower than Plexicushion and the bounce is higher.

Caesar1844 Jan 27th, 2013 07:57 AM

Re: Should The Australian Open Change the Surface Due to Risk of Injuries?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattographer (Post 23736714)
Um, no. That's where you're wrong :o

Rebound Ace is slower than Plexicushion and the bounce is higher.

Errr... no. Rebound Ace was a substantially faster surface.

You're correct about the bounce being higher than Plexicushion however.


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.