TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Which players have the highest 'TENNIS' IQ? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=480290)

Sir Stefwhit Jan 20th, 2013 10:59 AM

Which players have the highest 'TENNIS' IQ?

So we can all be in agreement over definitions, using the detailed criteria below to define 'Tennis IQ'- which player would you say has the highest tennisIQ?

How I'm defining Tennis IQ
Strategy: having a formalized game plan to defeat a particular opponent. In addition to the initial game plan, having plans "B" and "C" options, and being able to successfully incorporate a backup plan if the original strategy isn't working.

Anticipation: the ability to read plays as well as the ability to predict patterns, shots, tendencies, and where the ball will land.

Variety: being able to go into your bag of tricks and hit every shot in the book when needed lends itself to a higher IQ. So players who incorporate use of angles, change the direction and pace of the ball, have variety of serves, have a good transition game, show competency at the net, as well as incorporate the following: spin, power, slice, feel, and touch.

Execution: Players who find ways to neutralize an opponents strengths and can successfully exploit their weaknesses. Some do this by keeping their unforced errors low, others dominating with winners, and some may try to physically exhaust you. It's not just having the plan it's being able to consistently frustrate other players by making their games ineffective- and more importantly it's the ability to do this MORE OFTEN than not.

Honorable mentions to: Schiavone, Conchita Martinez, Myskina, Maria Kirilenko, Davenport, Natasha Zvereva, and Manuela Maleeva.

Singleniacki Jan 20th, 2013 11:07 AM

Re: Which player would you say has the Highest Tennis IQ?

I whole-heartedly believe Marion is one of the best.

Although her game is monotonic, she manages to beat lots of players who can hit the ball harder or run faster, without playing a high risk game or exhausting them physically, she mainatains extremely good focus and uses her brain. She makes exectues her game the best she can and doesnt let her opponent get into her head. It allows her to beat a lot of player people think she shouldnt. Most of the time that is :p

Cookiecrusher Jan 20th, 2013 11:09 AM

You really have a lot of time on your hands

Sir Stefwhit Jan 20th, 2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleenex (Post 23322466)

I just love tennis and since im more interested in discussions like this rather than biggest boobs I try to create threads on things I think about. It's always interesting to hear what others think and get there take on things. This is a discussion board after all....

And if I never created this thread I would never have got a chance to see Bartoli the way 'six feet under' does. I actually think he makes a great case for her- and as much "free time" I have on my hands, I probably never would have thought of her on my own.

CSN-4TW Jan 20th, 2013 11:19 AM

Evert or Graf.

JustPetko Jan 20th, 2013 11:27 AM

Re: Which players have the highest 'TENNIS' IQ?

Jovanovski.

Olórin Jan 20th, 2013 11:30 AM

My knee jerk reaction is Evert.

I think their are two kinds of great players. Ones which thrive off instinct and pay more attention to their own game than to strategy in a match e.g. Serena, Graf, Goolagong. And those such as Evert, Henin who have to make so many little adjustments to their games over the years and that have to consider the "bigger" weapons of their opponents that they develop their tennis IQ in a far more profound way.

-------------
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kleenex (Post 23322466)

Kleenex
Total Posts: 140 (17.23 posts per

Sir Stefwit
Total Posts: 5,107 (1.77 posts per day)

Spot the real fan, spot the troll :shrug:

Boxuan Jan 20th, 2013 12:28 PM

May I say Mary Pierce? She knows exactly what time to pee or call medical time-out :devil:

fouc Jan 20th, 2013 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustPetko (Post 23323138)
Jovanovski.

how is she not in the poll? :o

supergrunt Jan 20th, 2013 12:38 PM

"TENNIS IQ" is just a buzzword used by idiotic commentators to disguise their hidden contempt for particular players under the guise of objectivity.

Lachy Jan 20th, 2013 12:52 PM

As much as I am not a fan of her, I think Agnieszka has one of the best tennis IQs and it's probably her biggest asset.

Young 8 Jan 20th, 2013 12:55 PM

Gajdosova

Sir Stefwhit Jan 20th, 2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fouc (Post 23325290)
how is she (Jovanoski) not in the poll? :o

She's a crafty player with variety but she's not successful winning with her style of play. I made a point to be clear that just having a gameplay wasn't enough u have to be able to successfully implement it as well. With her career record she still hasn't found enough success for her to be in consideration IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supergrunt (Post 23325298)
"TENNIS IQ" is just a buzzword used by idiotic commentators to disguise their hidden contempt for particular players under the guise of objectivity.

Okay... :confused: but what does that have to do with this thread??
:facepalm: It's obvious u didn't bother reading the first post. i actually made sure to address that issue by defining it to mean something universal.
-----------------------
I'm stuck picking between Chris, Serena, and Radwanska...I will come back to it after some more thought.

Mynarco Jan 20th, 2013 02:01 PM

Bartoli.

Royals. Jan 20th, 2013 02:02 PM

Radwanska...