TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is Sloane Stephens the most popular American in the WTA? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=479650)

shoparound Jan 19th, 2013 08:18 AM

Is Sloane Stephens the most popular American in the WTA?

I noticed she gets a lot of support before, during and after her matches. Hardly any negative posts or comments here or anywhere else.
Despite her odd personality and blunt comments, she seems to still be a fan favorite, even during her junior years.
Anyone else think so?

Royals. Jan 19th, 2013 08:24 AM

Re: Is Sloane Stephens the most popular American in the WTA?

Ahead of Serena and Venus?

She's the most popular young American by far.

fast lefty Jan 19th, 2013 08:25 AM

Sloane says it as it is .Good for her.

Morrissey Jan 19th, 2013 08:26 AM

Don't worry when Sloane REALLY starts to live up to her potential she's going to get attacked just like Venus and Serena did. I just hope Sloane is thick skinned and mentally tough, because being a black woman succeeding in a predominately white sport such as tennis tons of bigots are going to come out of the woodwork.

Sombrerero loco Jan 19th, 2013 08:26 AM

she is very likeable indeed. she is a very nice girl with fans and players, and has a nice game too...maybe thats why

V-MAC Jan 19th, 2013 08:27 AM

"Odd personality":confused:
I think her personality is one of her strong points. She comes across as a very charming and articulate young woman.

Royals. Jan 19th, 2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-MAC (Post 23263802)
I think her personality is one of her strong points. She comes across as a very charming and articulate young woman.

Because she doesn't conform to the "stereotype", ignore the that poster. :rolleyes:

shoparound Jan 19th, 2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-MAC (Post 23263802)

It's true. As people in other threads have mentioned, she is kind of weird in her own ways. The way she goes about the court or talk to the media. Her Azarenka "sucking toes" comments were pretty funny yet unusual.

Sombrerero loco Jan 19th, 2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrissey (Post 23263762)
Don't worry when Sloane REALLY starts to live up to her potential she's going to get attacked just like Venus and Serena did. I just hope Sloane is thick skinned and mentally tough, because being a black woman succeeding in a predominately white sport such as tennis tons of bigots are going to come out of the woodwork.

omg stop with the "racism" issue please, its 21st century :facepalm:

shoparound Jan 19th, 2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LethalLaura (Post 23263882)
Because she doesn't conform to the "stereotype", ignore the that poster. :rolleyes:

What stereotype? I'm not a big fan of players who suck up to the media. I like players who tell it like it is. Sloane does that, but in a quirky, different way.

V-MAC Jan 19th, 2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoparound (Post 23263970)
It's true. As people in other threads have mentioned, she is kind of weird in her own ways. The way she goes about the court or talk to the media. Her Azarenka "sucking toes" comments were pretty funny yet unusual.

lol I didn't hear anything about "sucking toes"....what is that story?

Cosmic Voices Jan 19th, 2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morrissey (Post 23263762)

I agree but sloanes game style is completely different also

shoparound Jan 19th, 2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-MAC (Post 23264090)

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?p=21216983

pancake Jan 19th, 2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by V-MAC (Post 23264090)

Stephens, on the other hand, only had positive things to say about the current torchbearer of the WTA, number one Victoria Azarenka. ““I love Vika. You could tell me she sucks toes- I wouldn’t care,” she laughed. “She’s been nice to me since I met her for the first time. She and my mom are always chatting it up. People are always telling me they hate her- I don’t know why.”

But my personal favorite from her will always be:
“I’m friends with Jamie (Hampton), Christina (McHale), and Melanie (Oudin)- well, we don’t see Melanie as much anymore,” she said, trailing off. (Melanie Oudin has been in a much-publicized slump lately.)

The interview was like a year old tho.

anthonyqld Jan 19th, 2013 08:53 AM

Sloane is hilarious. That's why she's popular. Some people don't "get" her sense of humour, but those people are missing out.