TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Was it smart of Maria to celebrate like that? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=478825)

producer88 Jan 18th, 2013 08:49 AM

Was it smart of Maria to celebrate like that?

I mean why add fuel the fire? The last thing Sharapova needs is an angry Serena at a final. She didn't even get a break point the last time she faced her, why wake up the giant?

Geertvg Jan 18th, 2013 08:50 AM

Re: Was it smart of Maria to celebrate like that?

Uhm. Ok.

Young 8 Jan 18th, 2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by producer88 (Post 23206257)
I mean why add fuel the fire? The last thing Sharapova needs is an angry Serena at a final. She didn't even get a break point the last time she faced her, why wake up the giant?

Venus would have done the same thing.

JeMa Jan 18th, 2013 08:52 AM

Quote:

Why do people think Serena is going to care? If they play, Serena goes out there with the idea of winning a match, as always. Why would anyone think she needs this to fuel her?

Maria felt it was a big accomplishment to win this match. It was built up like the second coming so she played it as if and celebrated as if.

ACEof DIAMONDS Jan 18th, 2013 08:53 AM

LMFAO there are some real brain deads in here. Serena could give 2 shits about Venus losing and avenging a loss if she's in the final vs Maria, the only thing on her mind will be beating the person across the net to win the trophy.

Do people really need to try this hard to make something out of nothing? Drama, drama, drama for no reason at all.

In The Zone Jan 18th, 2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Young 8 (Post 23206593)
Venus would have done the same thing.

Venus does not celebrate like that. Other than her Wimbledon final dancing, she does not do that. Sharapova played such an impressive match and other than a few slip-ups in the second, it was one of the best matches she has played since her 2008 dream run. Her celebration definitely tainted it.

And, Sharapova and Serena are on a collision course. We all saw what happened last time they played in an important final.

Cookiecrusher Jan 18th, 2013 08:54 AM

I don't understand the whole "Serena will take revenge for Venus" thing. They're both professional tennis players and separate entities, I don't see any personal emotions having any part on the court. Serena, just like any other player will try to beat whoever is on the opposite side of the court, if she wins why would it be for Venus?

And this whole celebration thing is way overblown. Do we really need to scrutinize every single action a player does?

producer88 Jan 18th, 2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeMa (Post 23206665)
Why do people think Serena is going to care? If they play, Serena goes out there with the idea of winning a match, as always. Why would anyone think she needs this to fuel her?

Maria felt it was a big accomplishment to win this match. It was built up like the second coming so she played it as if and celebrated as if.

Well history shows that the William sisters would try to get revenge for each other when they lost to another opponent.

ACEof DIAMONDS Jan 18th, 2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWaagh (Post 23206729)
Maria is a vile, disgusting human being. Classless screaming and a rude celebration/handshake. Venus was very calm and classy. Serena will now beat her 6-0 6-0.

sweetadri06 Jan 18th, 2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Can you shut up? It's not Serena's job to avenge her sister. Serena does not care, she wants to win no matter what.

JoPova Jan 18th, 2013 08:55 AM

Why do people care? Do you think Maria cares about what people or other players think about her reaction on the court? Serena doesn't give a damn. If they meet in the final, she'll try to beat her just like every time they meet, not because Maria showed too much passion celebrating her win against Venus.

Sam L Jan 18th, 2013 08:55 AM

Sharapova is really annoying. I'm beginning to really dislike her again.

Lilowannabe Jan 18th, 2013 08:55 AM

It was slightly over the top, but that performance was huge for masha. Venus was classy as always with the handshake

Sharakim Jan 18th, 2013 08:56 AM

OMG. The truth is if Serena has noting to prove. She has owned Maria for years. She doesn't need Maria's celebration to give her extra motivation, that is just silly. Maria celebration was great and for herself. She didn't do it to piss off Serena. Also, I loved that she was so emotional because it meant a lot to her. She really wanted to win, and she did. :yeah:

Jimmie48 Jan 18th, 2013 08:56 AM

Smart or not, it wasn't exactly classy. She should be bigger than this, a player of her success going apeshit after winning a R3 match that was not even close is pretty cringe-worthy.