TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN) (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=475825)

Sir Stefwhit Jan 14th, 2013 05:42 AM

US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

For a second I was taken aback by how much women's coverage they've shown on ESPN, but then I remembered that there are no seeded American men in the draw besides Query. All those long boring Marty Fish, Isner, Roddick matches, not to mention the D-List American men hopefuls who left virtually no airtime for the likes of Kerber, Radwanska, and Stosur. If ESPN had more options we wouldn't have seen even the small amount we did get to see. Maybe it sucks for American men tennis fans, but for those of us who enjoy seeing a top tenner on either side over a lowly ranked American nobody, its good news.

Now the only obstacle left are the Australian men in the draw...:lol:

Spencer. Jan 14th, 2013 05:44 AM

Re: US Men Drought = More WTA coverage (ESPN)

I noticed this too when ESPN switched to Shriver and Mary Joe watching the Bartoli-Medina Garrigues match :lol:

Maybe some much needed coverage of other matches. I'm certainly not complaining :yeah:

Morrissey Jan 14th, 2013 06:42 AM

I have heard American men's tennis is serious trouble for the first time in 40 years NO USA man is seeded in the top 16 at a grand slam event LOL! American men's tennis is in such a drought that ESPN really doesn't have much to root for at the Australian Open. Isner, and Fish are veterans and they are never going to win slams.

Sir Stefwhit Jan 14th, 2013 07:16 AM

Hmmm maybe I spoke too soon, I would have figured they would've shown more Madison Keys before the start of Leyton's match ( which I'm really looking forward to).

So far the coverage has been real good and balanced, hope it continues like this.

sweetadri06 Jan 14th, 2013 03:02 PM

Well the WTA is more interesting this year. We have more up and coming players from America, UK, France and not to mention a solid top 3. Serena is the only one winning shit for the US, so they better pay attention to her competition.

AnnieIWillKnow Jan 14th, 2013 03:04 PM

I noticed on British Eurosport that they seemed to be showing a lot more WTA matches, and they don't even have the excuse of nationality playing a part, really, because Watson was the only Brit in action and her match wasn't televised.

18majors Jan 14th, 2013 03:05 PM

Yes, it's good for WTA fans.

Pureracket Jan 14th, 2013 03:08 PM

I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now. This is a complex issue, though. Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus, but after they've retired, the prospects for American women are maybe just as dim for the women as they are for the men. Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.

pov Jan 14th, 2013 03:30 PM

All the courts with cameras are available on ESPN3 anyway.

HippityHop Jan 14th, 2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pureracket (Post 22935538)
I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now. This is a complex issue, though. Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus, but after they've retired, the prospects for American women are maybe just as dim for the women as they are for the men. Once Venus and Serena retire, the advertising dollars will dry up.

I hate it when people quote a post and simply say "this". It smacks of intellectual laziness to me.:shrug:

However in this case, this! :D

pov Jan 14th, 2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Many Americans on this board hate Serena and Venus

BS!!! Stop posting crap will ya. The Americans here who don't like the WS are few. The fact that you chose a thread about more WTA coverage to try and get your little "Oh, sigh, woe is me, I'm still convinced no one values the WS and it wounds me greatly" whine on just emphasizes how tweaked that is.

Kipling Jan 14th, 2013 03:52 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts. You can bet Patrick McEnroe and Gilbert are eating their livers and stewing in the bile having to talking about women's tennis. They're two huge reasons I think Tennis Channel generally does a better job covering the majors.

Pureracket Jan 14th, 2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pov (Post 22936898)
BS!!! Stop posting crap will ya. The Americans here who don't like the WS are few. The fact that you chose a thread about more WTA coverage to try and get your little "Oh, sigh, woe is me, I'm still convinced no one values the WS and it wounds me greatly" whine on just emphasizes how tweaked that is.

LOL! In the south we have a saying that goes, "A hit dog will holla." Looks like this applies to you.

Serena is the best the WTA has ever seen. Why would I have to deal in victimhood, pov? I've stated what I've stated several times. I would say I'm sorry about touching on such a sensitive issues to you, but I'm not really all that sorry at all.

TimeyWimey Jan 14th, 2013 04:33 PM

only see limited matches available for replay (match 1 and 2 on all outer courts), hope they're still editing and adding the rest, otherwise, it would be pretty disappointing since i'm not able watch all their broadcast over night and really wish to watch the replay in the morning :(

matty Jan 14th, 2013 04:36 PM

Quote:

I know Pat McEnroe is sick because he LOVED Roddick is not able to salivate over him now.

Maybe they were great friends and Rodddcik is actually a good guy.