TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Amateur Players and Tennis Equipment Forum (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1401)
-   -   What do you say at the net after an easy win? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=473537)

Andy. Jan 10th, 2013 09:37 AM

What do you say at the net after an easy win?

I was watching a match the other day (cant remember which one) and the victor won really easily something like 6/0 6/1. It got me thinking.....what do you guys say to your opponent during the post match handshake after such an easy win? Its not like you can say good match or good try. I know I find it really awkward. Maybe you say nothing?

Sammo Jan 10th, 2013 09:43 AM

Re: What do you say at the net after an easy win?

I always say well played, no matter what the score was :lol:

Lord Sneeze Jan 10th, 2013 10:34 AM

Thanks good luck next week

Yoncé Jan 10th, 2013 10:53 AM

"You did the best you could today and hopefully next time you'll do a little better"

doomsday Jan 10th, 2013 10:57 AM

You tried girl.:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

Yoncé Jan 10th, 2013 11:01 AM

One time after a guy beat me like 6-4 6-1 he said he had never played so badly :tears:

Justin SW Jan 10th, 2013 12:23 PM

If I lose I'm like...sorry for being that bad and not providing you with decent match practice.

If I win...well played, sorry for inner channeling Serena on some of those come ons. Hope u don't mind (unlike Sloane).

Yoncé Jan 10th, 2013 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin SW (Post 22725257)
If I lose I'm like...sorry for being that bad and not providing you with decent match practice.

If I win...well played, sorry for inner channeling Serena on some of those come ons. Hope u don't mind (unlike Sloane).

:crying2:

nazzac Jan 10th, 2013 02:28 PM

When i lose "Well played mate, you were just too good"

When i win "Well played mate, dopn't let a loss bring you down. Your good"

Followed by a 5 minute chat about the match :lol:

Petkorazzi Jan 10th, 2013 07:23 PM

If I win, i don't really say anything TBH. :lol: If I lose, i just say congrats :shrug:

Ilikebigboobies Jan 11th, 2013 05:39 AM

"You sucked. I hope you don't see a future in tennis"!!

Andy. Jan 11th, 2013 09:51 AM

Well this thread is now incredibly appropriate.

The Bulldog Jan 15th, 2013 07:56 PM

Not that I win that comfortably very often, but no matter what, I'm usually pretty friendly at the net and not at all patronising in this situation.

Something like, "Good try, fortune certainly favoured me today. Perhaps next time it will favour you and things could be different."

SilverSlam Jan 17th, 2013 02:44 PM

Depends. I try and hi-5 people when they look really upset so they know I'm more talented and a cooler/better person than them too :oh:

I'm kidding but I do prefer hi-5s instead of handshakes, aint nobody want other peoples sweaty hands all over you. Normally I'll accompany it with a good game.

Once I played someone who always beat me in a club competition, and after winning a close match where he was shouting COME ON and stuff I was about to shake his hand and just shouted COME ON and turned around and walked off :crying2: People watching laughed too.

EDIT: I should tell you the scorelines with this guy. I'd lost 6-1 6-1, 6-0 6-3, 7-6(3) 7-5 (he was injured and could barely run) and 6-2 6-0. I beat him 5-7 6-2 6-4 (it was 4-4 in the final set too).

charmedRic Jan 17th, 2013 03:15 PM

Fist bump if it's a dude.
Hi-5 if it's a lady.

...I usually say nice match, or great game. Mostly 'cus even when I have a solid or comfortable win there were enough competitive points that it doesn't sound like I'm being an ass. On the flip side, even on my worst losses (0's and 1's) I've always fought till the end so saying nice match is still applicable.