TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Blast from the Past (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   1983 (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=473275)

Ms. Anthropic Jan 7th, 2013 12:28 AM

Better get this started before it's 2014...

WOMEN'S TENNIS TOUR
Lexington Herald-Leader
Sunday, January 2, 1983
Author: Ira Rosenfeld, Associated Press

WASHINGTON - The curtain rises on the 1983 women's tennis tour this week in the nation's capital with a top-flight field and the return of an old friend.

Thirty-two women, led by 1982's top player, Martina Navratilova, will vie for $150,000 in prize money beginning Monday in the Virginia Slims of Washington.

With every player competing ranked among the top 45 in the world, - including six of the top 10 in the final rankings of 1982 - the winner will have to play her best to take the $28,000 first-prize check.

"I guess you have to play on the tour week in and week out to appreciate how amazing it is to have a field in which no one is ranked lower than 39th," said Pam Shriver, who is ranked No. 5 in the world. "The only place you usually find this kind of field is at the U.S. Open or at Wimbledon."

Shriver, who upset Navratilova, her doubles teammate and close friend, in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open, and Tracy Austin, the 1981 U.S. Open champion and ranked ninth in the world, were forced to withdraw from the tournament.

Navratilova beat Anne Smith to capture the title here last year and begin one of the most succesful campaigns in history of women' s tennis. Navratilova won 90 of 93 matches and 15 of 18 tournaments last year, including both the French Open and Wimbledon.

Navratilova, 26, capped the year by defeating her chief competitor, Chris Evert Lloyd, in the Toyota Series Championship two weeks ago in East Rutherford, N.J.

If Navratilova is to falter in her first court test of the new year, there are a number of competitors prepared to grab the title.

Andrea Jaeger, ranked third in the world, leads a tightly grouped pack that includes No. 4 Hana Mandlikova of Czechoslovakia, No. 7 Barbara Potter, No. 8 Bettina Bunge, No. 9 Tracy Austin and No. 10 Sylvia Hanika of West Germany.

The tournament marks the return of Virginia Slims to the tennis tour after a four-year absence. The original sponsors of the women' s pro tennis tour, Virginia Slims sponsored its first two tournaments in 1970 with eight women contesting for $7,500 in prize money.

Growing pains over format and the direction of the expanding tour that was becoming a fixture of the sports scene eventually led to a split between Virginia Slims and the Women's Tennis Association. After the 1978 season Virginia Slims ended its sponsorship of tour events.

The differences finally put to rest, the firm has renewed its allegiance to women's tennis, sponsoring 26 events this year and culminating with a $1 million invitational tournament in December.

Rollo Jan 7th, 2013 12:54 PM

Re: 1983

Quote:

Better get this started before it's 2014...

Thanks Ms A-I'm looking forward to it!

These yearly threads are open to ALL to share pictures, stories, articles or memories from that year.

Let's have fun with this!:)

Rollo Jan 7th, 2013 12:54 PM

1983 Recap and summary:

samn Jan 7th, 2013 03:02 PM

An old thread where we discussed Curry Kirkpatrick's recap of the 1983 French Open in Sports Illustrated.

http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=166810

AdeyC Jan 7th, 2013 03:15 PM

My favourite year - I'll dig those scrapbooks out of the loft soon with my Wimbly, Brighton and Wightman Cup clippings. I'm managing TT Aussie Open on MTF so it'll be after that.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 7th, 2013 03:37 PM

If Capriati and Jaeger had been teen-age contemporaries, I could imagine them going off on some kind of petty crime spree together or forming heavy metal chick band in their spare time.

LENDL, CONNORS, BORG WIN IN LITE CHALLENGE
The Miami Herald
Thursday, January 6, 1983
From Herald Wire Services

Ivan Lendl needed only 68 minutes to defeat Sandy Mayer in the $250,000 Lite Challenge of Champions tennis Tuesday night in Rosemont, Ill.

Lendl hit 17 aces in beating Mayer, 6-2, 7-5, in the late match and appeared ready to join Jimmy Connors, Bjorn Borg and John McEnroe in a four-way fight for No. 1.

Connors overcame a shaky baseline game to defeat Henri Leconte, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1 in the opening match. His usual consistency was upset by the 19-year-old Frenchman, who in the second set pelted topspin forehands against the reigning Wimbledon and U.S. Open champion.

Connors regained his form in the third set, holding serve and then breaking Leconte with a powerful net rush game.

In the second set, Borg strengthened his return to the professional tennis circuit with a 4-6, 6-2, 6-4 victory over Vitas Gerulaitis.

After losing the first five games quickly, Borg changed the tempo to his methodical approach, driving topspin shots from the baseline. He rebuilt his confidence with a strong serve.

With five aces and many other disarming shots, Borg stuck to his plan to keep Gerulaitis away from the net.

The pages on the calendar may show a new year, but for the opponents of Martina Navratilova it looks like the same old story.

Last year, Navratilova enjoyed the greatest year any women has ever had on the professional tennis circuit, winning 90 of 93 matches and over $1.5 million in prize money.

A two-week holiday behind her, the world's top-ranked player picked up where she left off, whipping Leigh Thompson, 6-2, 6-1, in the opening round of the $150,000 Virginia Slims tournament in Washington, D.C.

Navratilova's play gave little evidence of her two-week layoff. She displayed a variety of ground strokes and passing shots in putting Thompson away in a little more than an hour.

"I stayed in shape playing basketball," Navratilova said. "It improved my timing so that despite not picking up a racquet for days I found myself going to the ball better than before the break."

Navratilova suffered what she described as a brief mental lapse after taking a 5-0 lead in the first set. Her placid play allowed Thompson to capture two straight games.

"I was just trying to keep the ball in play instead of trying to create something. I have to remember to stay mean and keep that killer instinct to nail down an opponent," she said.

In a second match, No.2 seed Andrea Jaeger turned back Candy Reynolds' upset bid, 5-7, 6-1, 6-3.

Reynolds got a boost from a crowd that screamed for the upset.

"When you're seeded No.2 the crowd is looking for someone, anyone to beat you off the court," said the 17-year-old Jaeger. "When you are 13, 14, 15 years old and you are doing well, that's just great because you are the 'little darling of the court.' But that goes on just so long."

Another winner Tuesday night was Canada's Carling Bassett, 15, the recent winner of the girls' 18-and-under division of the Orange Bowl junior tennis tournament. In her pro debut, Bassett scored an impressive victory, defeating Alycia Moulton, 7-6, 6-1.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 7th, 2013 03:38 PM

Novotna learned from the best when it comes to double-faulting.

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Saturday, January 8, 1983

Mary Lou Piatek stunned fourthseeded Barbara Potter 6-3, 6-4 and second-seeded Andrea Jaeger rallied past JoAnne Russell 6-7, 6-2, 6-2 yesterday to reach today' s semis in the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington.

West Germany's Sylvia Hanika defeated No. 3 Hana Mandlikova, taking advantage of 13 double faults to record a three-set victory.

Quarterfinal play was to be completed last night with top seed and defending champ Martina Navratilova playing Czechoslovakia's Helena Sukova.

Piatek has not won a tournament in two years and is ranked only No. 37. Potter is the world' s sixth-rated player.

In London -- Defending champions Heinz Gunthardt and Balazs Taroczy saved a match point in the 12th game of the final set before rallying to beat Brian Gottfried and Raul Ramirez 6-7, 6-3, 6 n the WCT World Dou- 6-3, 6-4, 4-6, 7-6bles championship at the Royal Albert Hall.

The American-Mexican pair of Gottfried and Ramirez dropped to 2-1 in round-robin play but joined Hungarian Taroczy and his Swiss partner, who were 3-0, in today' s semis.

Former Wimbledon doubles champs Peter McNamara and Paul McNamee of Australia clinched a semifinal spot against Gottfried-Ramirez by downing Americans Ferdi Taygan and Sherwood Stewart 4-6, 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.

Kriek honored -- Johan Kriek, who won won the Australian Open for the second straight year, was named Volvo Grand Prix tennis player of the month for December.

Kriek, a native of South Africa, was recently granted United States citizenship. He defeated Steve Denton in the Australian finals to cap his finest year as a professional and clinch a spot on the Volvo Masters tournament, to be held in New York Jan. 18-23.

Borg exhibition -- Bjorn Borg and Roscoe Tanner, a hometown favorite, will play each other Feb. 3 at the University of Tennessee-Chattanooga' s new $15.5 million sports arena, nicknamed the Roundhouse.

Tanner and Borg dueled each other in the 1979 Wimbledon finals, with the Swede winning.

At Rancho Mirage, Calif. -- Defending champion Rodney Harmon of SMU downed Southern Cal' s Matt Anger 6-4, 6-3, to advance to the semifinals of the Marriott National Collegiate Tennis Classic.

Harmon, the tournament' s top seed, will meet Tom Warneke of Trinity in the semifinals. Warneke defeated Rich Rudeen of Clemson 7-6, 6-1.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 7th, 2013 03:39 PM

HANIKA SPILLS JAEGER IN D.C.
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 9, 1983

West Germany's Sylvia Hanika, down 5-2 in the final set, staged a brilliant comeback to upset second-seeded Andrea Jaeger, 6-7, 6-3, 7-5, Saturday night and gain the final of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tennis tournament.

Hanika will meet top-seeded Martina Navratilova, a 6-1, 6-3 winner over Mary Lou Piatek, in Monday night's final.

Hanika, seeded sixth, appeared headed for her 10th loss in 11 meetings with Jaeger when she fell behind in the third set. But she started her match-winning rally by holding serve and then breaking Jaeger in the ninth game to pull to 4-5.

After she held serve in the 10th game, she broke Jaeger, the world's third-ranked player, for the sixth time in the match.

Navratilova, the No. 1 women's player in the world, has intimidated the field in this touranment, losing only 10 games in four matches. She breezed through the first set in 20 minutes, abandoning her serve-and-volley game and relied mostly on a powerful forehand.

Piatek did manage to break Navratilova's serve twice during the match, something no other player had done previously in the tournament.

"I'm not happy because my serve was broken twice," Navratilova admitted. "I made some bad mistakes during those games."

Piatek made a brief run at her in the second set. "I figured I couldn't do any worse, so I tried coming into the net and hitting out more," Piatek said.

More tennis

Jimmy Connors outdueled John McEnroe at his own game, using service placement to maximum advantage en route to a 6-1, 5-7, 6-2 semifinal victory in the $250,000 Lite Challenge of Champions in Chicago. Bjorn Borg met Ivan Lendl in the other semifinal later Saturday night. While McEnroe, the world's top- ranked player, dodged a match point in the second set, he was unable to return Connors' service with authority ... Brian Gottfried and Mexico's Raul Ramirez upset Wimbledon champions Peter McNamara and Paul McNamee, 7-6, 7-5, 6-2, to gain today's final of the $200,000 World Doubles championships in London. They will face either defending champions Balazs Taroczy of Hungary and Heinz Gunthardt of Switzerland or Czechoslovakia's Davis Cup pair of Pavel Slozil and Tomas Smid, who met later Saturday.

Swimming

East Germany's 16-year-old Kristin Otto broke her own world short-course record in the women's 100-meter backstroke in the U.S. International meet at Indiana University's Natatorium in Indianapolis. Otto, who had set a U.S. Open record during the 100-meter backstroke trials with a time of 1:00.77, bettered that in the final with a clocking of 59.97 seconds. Short- course events are in 25-meter pools, instead of the 50-meter long-course distances. Former record-holder Tracy Caulkins was fourth in the final but won the 400-individual medley in 4:42.16.

College football

Former NFL All-Pro linebacker Maxie Baughan was named coach at Cornell University, succeeding recently retired Bob Blackman. Baughan, 44, had served as the Detroit Lions' defensive coordinator for three years ... Larry Rutledge resigned as coach at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy and was succeeded by assistant Bob Campiglia. Rutledge, who compiled a 7-21 record in three seasons, including a 2-7 mark last season, said he was resigning for personal reasons.

Other sports

Detroit Express owner Sonny Van Arnem said he has decided not to purchase the Jacksonville Tea Men of the North American Soccer League, and will keep the Express in the American Soccer League. "I don't think any leagues have really established themselves as major league," Van Arnem said ... David Leighton, president of the 1988 Winter Olympic organizing committee, has resigned his position in Calgary, Alberta, after 10 months, citing major differences in management philosophy with other officials ... Joan Benoit, running for Athletics West, came within 16 seconds of the world and American 5,000-meter indoor record at the 14th annual Dartmouth College Relays. Benoit, the American marathon record-holder, covered the distance in a meet- record time of 15 minutes, 50.34 seconds.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 7th, 2013 03:41 PM

HANIKA GETS SHOT AT NO. 1 MARTINA
The Miami Herald
Monday, January 10, 1983
Author: From Herald Wire Services

Sylvia Hanika of West Germany, one of only three women to beat Martina Navratilova last year, will get another shot at the world's top-ranked player tonight in the final of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tournament at Landover, Md.

Hanika advanced to the final Saturday night by rallying from a 5-2 deficit in the third set to upset second-seeded Andrea Jaeger, 6-7, 6-3, 7-5. Navratilova, who has lost only 10 games in the tournament, breezed past Mary Lou Piatek, 6-1, 6-3, although Piatek did manage to break Navratilova' s serve twice during the match, something no other player had done previously in this tour-opening event.

Navratilova, who won 90 of 93 matches last year, believes her presence on the court is sometimes enough to rattle opponents.

"I know back in 1973 and 1974, Chris [Evert Lloyd] had that aura about her. She would beat up on people pretty bad. They would go into the match thinking they couldn' t win, just wondering how many games they would win. I don' t know if I' m at that point yet," Navratilova said. "I may be getting there, too.

"I think some players, when they go against me, think their own game isn' t good enough and try to do too much with their shots. The other girls feel they have to play over their heads to beat me. They know I'm not going to beat myself."

But Hanika, ranked No. 10 in the world and seeded sixth in the tournament, is not conceding the title.

"I am not awed by Martina," said Hanika, who has won two of their last four meetings. "I will probably play a serve-and- volley game, but I'll have to see how she does early to dictate how I will play."

More tennis

Defending champions Heinz Gunthardt and Balazs Taroczy defeated Brian Gottfried and Raul Ramirez, 6-3, 7-5, 7-6, to win the WCT World Doubles Championship at London. Gunthardt and Taroczy split $72,000; Gottfried and Ramirez split $36,000 ... Australian Wally Masur rallied past American Juan Farrow, 6-2, 4-6, 7-6, to win the $40,000 West Australian Open at Perth.

Swimming

East German Birgit Meineke earned her third individual gold medal in the U.S. Swimming International meet at Bloomington, Ind., winning the 100-meter freestyle in 53.99 seconds, a world short-course record.

Meineke, 18, earlier won the 50- and 200-meter freestyles.

Teammate Cornelia Sirch, 16, won the 200 backstroke in 2:07.74, a world short-course record.

In the 400 freestyle relay, Meineke, Sirch, Kristin Otto and Carmela Schmidt set a world short-course record of 3:41.74. Short-course records are set in 25-meter pools instead of the standard 50-meter pools.

Jeff Kostoff of Upland, Calif., and Kim Linehan of Sarasota, Fla., set American records in the men's and women's 1,500 freestyle. Kostoff's winning time was 14:50.37; Linehan's was 15:50.96.

Mary T. Meagher of Louisville won the 200 butterfly in 2:08.23, almost three seconds off her world record.

Although no team scores were kept, the United States won 16 gold medals. East Germany won 12.

Skiing

West German Irene Epple, snapping a streak of disappointing performances, won the first women's World Cup super-giant slalom race at Verbier, Switzerland. Hanni Wenzel of Lichtenstein was second and Tamara McKinney third ... Erwin Resch of Austria won his second World Cup downhill race as a treacherous bend wiped out one-third of the field at Val D'Isere, France. Peter Luescher of Switzerland was second.

Other sports

The New York-Pennsylvania League awarded a franchise to Cooperstown, N.Y., home of the Baseball Hall of Fame. League president Vincent McNamara said the club would be operated by Roger Kahn, author of The Boys of Summer ... World Boxing Association junior-flyweight champion Katsuo Tokashiki of Japan succesfully defended his title for the fourth time with a unanimous decision over South Korean Kim Hwan-Jin at Kyoto, Japan ... Geir Kyernmo of Norway, running his first marathon, won the inaugural Greater New Orleans Marathon in two hours, 20 minutes and 18 seconds, beating more than 2,000 competitors ... Northrexford Drive, ridden by Terry Lipham, rallied in the stretch to edge Sequoyah Sunday by 1 1/4 lengths in the $113,500 California Breeders' Champion Stakes at Santa Anita. The winner covered seven furlongs in 1:22 2/5 and paid $6.80, $3.60 and $2.60.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 7th, 2013 03:43 PM

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Tuesday, January 11, 1983
Wire Reports

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova crushed West Germany's Sylvia Hanika, 6-1, 6-1, Monday night to win the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Washington tournament at Landover, Md.

Earlier Monday, Navratilova was named the No. 1-ranked women's tennis player in the United States for 1982 by the U.S. Tennis Association.

Navratilova's victory, her 16th in her last 19 tournaments, was worth $28,000. Hanika got $14,000.

Navratilova, the world's top-ranked woman player, wasted little time in taking control, building a 4-1 lead within 15 minutes. Hanika, who had played brilliantly in beating second- seeded Andrea Jaeger Saturday, was ineffectual, as every facet of her game appeared to abandon her.

Navratilova, a native of Czechoslovakia, was last ranked No. 1 in the United States in 1979 and held the third spot in 1980 and 1981.

Chris Evert Lloyd, the 1982 U.S. Open champion, was ranked second for '82. Andrea Jaeger moved up one spot to No. 3, breaking up the triumvirate of Navratilova, Evert Lloyd and Tracy Austin, who have had a lock on the top three spots for the past three years.

Austin is now ranked fourth, the lowest she has been since she made her debut in that spot in 1977. Pam Shriver remained in fifth place.

The remaining top 10, in order, are: Bettina Bunge, Barbara Potter, Billy Jean King, Anne Smith and Zina Garrison.

King returns to the top 10 after one year's absence. She has now been ranked in the U.S. top ten a record 18 times since 1960.

At Milwaukee -- University of Kentucky netters Joe Leytze and Allison Evans routed their first-round opponents, while Andy Jackson had to come from behind in the Milwaukee Tennis Classic yesterday.

Jackson rallied by John Wayne of Wisconsin-Oshkosh 4-6, 6-3, 6-1. UK' s No. 2 has the tall order of facing second-seeded Mark Flur of Duke today in this prestigious collegiate tournament at Marquette University. Tennessee All-American Paul Annacone is the top seed.

Leytze, the No. 1 Wildcat, whipped David Leudtke of Wisconsin-Oshkosh 63, 6-0. The all-Southeastern Conference player meets Rice's Don Tomasco today. UK teammate Paul Varga, who had a first-round default, takes on Laird Dunlap of Wake Forest.

Eliminated were UK' s Pat McGee, who lost 6-1, 6-2 to Arizona' s Andis Luters, and John Varga, who lost a qualifier to Chris Weils of Oshkosh.

Freshman Allison Evans, a Lady Kat walk-on, thrashed Gretchen Tritschler 6-1, 6-0 in the women' s draw.

Robin Harrelson, a walk-on from Louisville like Evans, lost 6-1, 6-1 to fourth-seeded Barbara Gerken of UCLA. UK' s Kristin Buchanon fell to Northwestern' s Tina Oechsle 6-1, 6-0.

UK freshman Jamie Plummer played a late match against Kathleen Lilly of Southern Cal.

The top seeds are Louise Allen of Trinity and Micki Schillig of San Diego State.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 8th, 2013 05:54 PM

Although unrelated to women's tennis, the first story demonstrates that the crowd in the 1992 Lipton final wasn't so bad, comparatively speaking.

Tennis
Lexington Herald-Leader
Wednesday, January 12, 1983
Wire reports

Tennis Play was delayed for more than an hour on center court yesterday during the New Zealand international grand prix tournament at Auckland after overnight damage to the surface by gasoline bombs thrown by anti-apartheid demonstrators.

The demonstrators, protesting against the appearance of South African Bernie Mitton, threw in tennis balls containing gasoline which made small craters on the court surface.

Mitton proceded to beat Aussie Ross Case 6-2, 3-6, 8-6.

* Joe Leytze is the only Kentucky Wildcat survivor after two days in the collegiate Milwaukee Classic. The allSoutheastern Conference performer routed Don Tomasco of Rice 6-2, 6-2 and will face Brad Cherry of Southern Cal today.

UK' s Andy Jackson fell in the second round to No. 2 seed Mark Flur of Duke 6-1, 6-4 and Paul Varga lost to Laird Dunlap of Wake Forest 6-1, 6-4.

Freshman Allison Evans was the last Lady Kat to bow out, losing 6-1, 6-3 to South Carolina' s Ellen Oxreider.

* Something bad always seems to happen to Andrea Jaeger when she plays in Texas.

She kept the jinx intact Tuesday night, losing to hometown favorite Zina Garrison, 6-1, 6-3, in a first-round match of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Houston tennis tournament in Astroarena.

"I may have to do something about my playing schedule," Jaeger said. "Something always seems to happen to me here."

Garrison, who started her playing career as an 11-year-old in nearby McGregor Park, is what happened to Jaeger Tuesday night. To the delight of a partisan crowd, Garrison never let the heavily favored Jaeger get into the match. Garrison broke Jaeger in seven of the eight games she served and put down minor challenges in the second set.

"I've played her three times before and she always started off as if she didn't care," Garrison said. "Usually, she just takes you wider and wider. But this time, the shots weren't as bad as they usually are."

In the other featured match Tuesday night, third-seeded Tracy Austin of the U.S. defeated Claudia Monteiro of Brazil, 6-4, 6-0.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 8th, 2013 05:55 PM

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Friday, January 14, 1983
Wire Reports

* Tracy Austin, untroubled by a power failure after the first set, beat JoAnne Russell 7-5, 6-0 last night at the Virginia Slims of Houston.

Hometown heroine Zina Garrison, who upset second-seeded Andrea Jaeger the night before, beat Andrea Leand of Brooklandville, Md., 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, and fourth-seeded Pam Shriver rallied from a 4-3 deficit in the first set to beat unseeded Susan Mascarin 6-4, 6-1.

In earlier matches, sixth-seeded Bettina Bunge beat Peanut Louie 6-2, 7-5; No. 8 Anne Smith defeated NCAA champ Alycia Moulton 6-1, 3-6, 6-4; and No. 7 Sylvia Hanika of West Germany beat Wendy White 6-2, 4-6, 6-4.

* Sweden's Bjorn Borg, who is out to recapture his No. 1 world ranking after a year's hiatus, outlasted Sandy Mayer 6-7, 6-3, 7-6, 7-6 in an exhibition last night in Albuquerque.

*Unseeded Kentucky Wildcat Joe Leytze added to his growing list of upset victims yesterday with a 6 3, 4-6, 6-1 victory over second seeded Mark Flur of Duke in the quarterfinals of the Milwaukee Classic.

Flur, the Blue Devils' No. 1 player, is currently 20th in the collegiate rankings. Leytze, an all-Southeastern Conference performer last year, had already beaten the tourney' s top seed earlier in the season. The senior from Cincinnati upset Tennessee All-American Paul Annacone in the Kentucky Fall Invitational.

Leytze meets fourth-seeded Roberto Saad of Wichita State in today's semis at Marquette University.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 8th, 2013 05:56 PM

Found a slightly more detailed wire report....

TENNIS
Lexington Herald-Leader
Saturday, January 15, 1983
Wire Reports

At Houston -- Top-seeded Martina Navratilova overcame the occasionally brilliant shot-making of defending champion Bettina Bunge for a 6-1, 7-5 victory in a quarter-finals match of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Houston.

Navratilova, the No.1-ranked player in the world, had to recover from two service losses in the second set before finally dispensing with Miss Bunge, who has never beaten her in nine tries.

Third-seeded Tracy Austin routed eight-seeded Anne Smith, 6-1, 6-2 for the spot opposite Navratilova in today' s semifinals.

Earlier, seventh-seeded Sylvia Hanika defeated fourth-seeded Pam Shriver 1-6, 6-2, 6-3 and Eva Pfaff eliminated hometown favorite Zina Garrison 4-6, 7-6 (14-12), 7-6 (7-4). Hanika lost five straight games in the first set before rebounding to victory

Earlier, Hanika denied that she had been offered cocaine at a tournament in the Philippines, as reported by the Neue Revue magazine of West Germany. She also said she was unaware of drug use by fellow players.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 8th, 2013 05:57 PM

NAVRATILOVA ROUTS AUSTIN IN HOUSTON
The Miami Herald
Sunday, January 16, 1983

Top-seeded Martina Navratilova gave Tracy Austin a lesson in power tennis Saturday night, blasting the No. 3 seed, 6-2, 6-2, despite a controversial call at match point to gain the finals of the $150,000 Virginia Slims of Houston tennis tournament

Navratilova, who has lost only three of her past 102 matches, moved into today's finals against seventh-seeded Sylvia Hanika, who defeated fellow West German Eva Pfaff, 7-5, 6-1, in the other semifinal.

Navratilova broke Austin in the fourth and eighth games of the first set, did it again in the second game of the second set and wrapped up the match by gaining another break in the eighth and final game with a controversial backhand volley that nicked the line at the first match point.

Despite the protests of the capacity crowd, the linesman called the ball good and the umpire upheld the decision.

Other tennis

Australian John Alexander and New Zealand's Russell Simpson gained the singles final of the Benson and Hedges Open in Auckland, New Zealand. Alexander beat New Zealand's No. 1 player, Chris Lewis, 7-6, 6-4, and Simpson topped Australian Rod Frawley, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 ... In a late match Friday night, John McEnroe reacted to unfavorable calls by stomping his foot, yelling and tossing his racquet during a 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 victory over Guillermo Vilas during an exhibition in Milwaukee ... In Tampa Friday night, Vitas Gerulaitis downed Bjorn Borg, 7-6 (8-6), 7-5, to win an exhibition. It was only his fourth victory over the Swede in a 10-year rivalry.

Ms. Anthropic Jan 8th, 2013 06:01 PM

Interesting comments about the "psych out" job done by the press and MN's comments about who is #1 (even though Evert had won the last 2 majors and would win the French).

NAVRATILOVA'S DOMINANCE TAKING TOLL ON OPPONENTS
The Miami Herald
Tuesday, January 18, 1983
UNITED PRESS INTERNATIONAL

Officials should rename the Virginia Slims circuit Martina's March.

Using a powerful service game and fighting a lack of concentration, Navratilova beat Sylvia Hanika, 6-3, 7-6, and then teamed with Pam Shriver to win the doubles, 6-4, 6-3 over Barbara Potter and Jo Durie.

Thus Navratilova continues to move up on the legendary Chris Evert, but she hints she will never reach that plateau.

"I'm way behind Chris," Navratilova said. "It's not even close. I haven't even won the U.S. Open. I'll keep chasing her. But Bill Tilden didn't win the Open until he was 27 and I'm 26."

Navratilova earned $33,500 and hammered herself even more strongly into the psyches of the many struggling young women on the tour.

Tracy Austin, one of the few left who can challenge Navratilova, says that members of the press, of all people, are partially responsible.

"I'm not taking anything away from Martina; she's playing great. She's had an outrageous year. But you guys [reporters] are helping her. It's unbelievable the way the girls talk in the locker room. It's like they walk out on the court [against Navratilova] defeated. You have to forget who you're playing," Austin said. "It's not the press' fault or Martina's fault. It's the players' fault for thinking about who they are playing instead of playing the ball."

Martina's response to the media types? "Keep writing; keep building that aura."

Hanika, the 10th-rated player in the world, did not admit to having defeatist thoughts despite having to play Navratilova six days after losing 6-1, 6-1 to her in the Washington, D.C., final. Hanika said she thought she had Navratilova when she led 5-4 in the second set Sunday.

But Hanika suffered a case of nerves at the thought of winning one set from Navratilova.

"I missed two easy forehands. I just wanted it too badly," Hanika said. "I felt she was getting a little shaky but I blew my chance."

Hanika's errors filled the second-set tie-breaker that ended 7-5.

Navratilova won her 100th match in the last 103, her second title in two tournaments this year, her sixth in eight circuit tournaments over two years. Her last loss was to Evert in the Australian Open in December.

Navratilova considers herself the No. 1 player right now -- a belief that is shared by most of the world's tennis observers.

"There's no question. I'm No. 1. That's the end of discussion. She [Evert] admits I was No. 1 last year. She said watch out for next year, and I'm watching out," Navratilova said.

Over the years, Evert has won many more major titles than Navratilova, giving her an edge when the two are compared. As an indication that Navratilova will concentrate more on the world's most prestigious titles, she is leaving the winter tour now for four weeks of relaxation.

She said she would not hit a tennis ball for 2 1/2 weeks.

"That should rejuvenate me for the rest of the circuit," she said.