TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=473110)

calabar Jan 4th, 2013 05:51 PM

Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

OK I get it. When you are an underdog, chances are you are going to lose. But that is a phrase I've heard by players who are both favorites and underdogs. I've also heard players who are part of a team use this rather SILLY phrase. Bear in mind that these are all PROFESSIONAL athletes claiming they have "nothing" to lose. How about your damn PRIDE? Isn't that enough to get one motiviated? If you really have nothing to lose, then what is the point of competing? Can you even call it "competing" when you take this attitude onto a court or whatever the sporting venue might be? Venus and Serena are my two favorite female athletes of any sport, and it really pisses me off to hear Serena (in particular) or any athlete uses this dumb, defeatist phrase before a professional match.
Anyone else feel this way?

KournikovaFan91 Jan 4th, 2013 05:52 PM

Re: Why Do Players Say "I Have Nothing To Lose"?

Its a stupid sports cliche and yes it does get annoying.

L'Enfant Sauvage Jan 4th, 2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calabar (Post 22688357)
OK I get it. When you are an underdog, chances are you are going to lose. But that is a phrase I've heard by players who are both favorites and underdogs. I've also heard players who are part of a team use this rather SILLY phrase. Bear in mind that these are all PROFESSIONAL athletes claiming they have "nothing" to lose. How about your damn PRIDE? Isn't that enough to get one motiviated? If you really have nothing to lose, then what is the point of competing? Can you even call it "competing" when you take this attitude onto a court or whatever the sporting venue might be? Venus and Serena are my two favorite female athletes of any sport, and it really pisses me off to hear Serena (in particular) or any athlete uses this dumb, defeatist phrase before a professional match.
Anyone else feel this way?

No.

Serena's "I have nothing to lose" lets us know we can make plans for ~1 hour after the match, because that's how quickly she will brush aside her opponent.

Crater718 Jan 4th, 2013 05:55 PM

what about "I have everything to gain by winning" phrase?

Roookie Jan 4th, 2013 05:57 PM

Mind games

calabar Jan 4th, 2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crater718 (Post 22688376)
what about "I have everything to gain by winning" phrase?

That would be a positive spin. Although it goes without saying.

JarkaFish Jan 4th, 2013 05:58 PM

It's definitely a sad, defeatist phrase. Coming from Serena though it's absurd.

End da Game Jan 4th, 2013 06:09 PM

maybe because they don't, they're multi-millionaires making living by playing a game they enjoy and they get to travel all over the world, how much sweeter can life get?

nah just joking

ShiftyFella Jan 4th, 2013 06:12 PM

it's a sign, the moment they say it you know they will UNLEASH:lol:

Start da Game Jan 4th, 2013 06:16 PM

a fool's phrase which allows the opponent to relax and shifts the onus on to the lesser player to perform better than what people would actually have expected of him......

pling Jan 4th, 2013 06:18 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011...tova-wimbledon

....the old cliche that Kvitova will have nothing to lose was quickly shot down by the 21-year-old. "Of course I have something to lose," she said. "I'm going on the court for the win and not to lose, for sure. I'm staying positive. I am not nervous and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I just have to play my best, try 100% and then I can win."

:yeah:

Dominic Jan 4th, 2013 06:24 PM

Players as in Serena? :oh:

hablo Jan 4th, 2013 06:31 PM

It's to take the pressure off themselves and it's a phrase they're fed by their PR or have seen other top players say.

The likes of Sharpie say it too; another phrase I hate: something like "I just have to go out there and play my own game" as if they don't have to take into consideration what tactics or strengths their opponents have... :tape:

Mistress of Evil Jan 4th, 2013 06:31 PM

It definitely ain't a champion's mentality.

Renochka uses it because she is a drama queen. To be honest, it is getting the tiniest bit annoying.

young_gunner913 Jan 4th, 2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Светльо (Post 22688564)
It definitely ain't a champion's mentality.

Renochka uses it because she is a drama queen. To be honest, it is getting the tiniest bit annoying.

Says an online drama queen. :lol: