TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!) (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=472503)

Matt-TennisFan24 Dec 28th, 2012 02:09 AM

Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Here's the 3rd category of our All-Time poll. Time to decide the best match ever!

By the way, I take the chance to say that unanimously, the winner of the Best Serve of All-Time category is Serena Williams (16 nominations to 0 in the "nominations thread") and the winner of the Best Volleys of All-Time category is Martina Navratilova (15 nominations to 1).

Remember that I had made a thread asking for people to nominate their options. So, if you think an "obvious" option is missing, then I'm sorry. (P.S: If you think the Best Backhand poll should be done again including Seles or Sharapova, please specify it in the thread. If 10 people say so, we'll do it again).

Here are the highlights of the chosen matches:

1992 Roland Garros Final: Monica Seles vs Steffi Graf



2005 Wimbledon Final: Venus Williams vs Lindsay Davenport



1991 US Open Semi-Final: Monica Seles vs Jennifer Capriati



1985 Roland Garros Final: Chris Evert vs Martina Navratilova




2012 US Open Final: Serena Williams vs Victoria Azarenka



2003 US Open Semi-Final: Justine Henin vs Jennifer Capriati




2007 US Open Semi-Final: Justine Henin vs Venus Williams



2008 Wimbledon Final: Venus Williams vs Serena Williams




2004 Wimbledon Final: Maria Sharapova vs Serena Williams



2012 Olympics Final: Serena Williams vs Maria Sharapova

http://www.youmaker.com/video/svb5-0...012-final.html

Side-Note: Please don't vote for the 2012 Olympics Final or the 2004 Wimbledon Final UNLESS you really think it was the best match ever. Both options were nominated, but in my opinion, none of them were great matches. Please don't make this a Serena-Maria fans war :lol:

Stonerpova Dec 28th, 2012 03:37 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Seles/Graf 92 without a doubt. Epic, epic stuff. Venus/Davenport is a close second.

KoOlMaNsEaN Dec 28th, 2012 03:55 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin. (Post 22636822)
Seles/Graf 92 without a doubt. Epic, epic stuff. Venus/Davenport is a close second.

It's my favorite match ever, it's the BEST. I love re-watching it on youtube. EPIC Battle

bobito Dec 28th, 2012 04:24 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
This wasn't called the "Match of the Century" for nothing.

Suzanne Lenglen def Helen Wills 6-3 8-6, Cannes 1926



The "Match of the Century"
"After 1923, demand for Lenglen and Wills to play each other kept growing. They finally met in the final of a tourney at the Carlton Club in Cannes, France, on February 16, 1926. There were 4000 spectators.

In the fourth game Lenglen seized control of the 1st set. She exchanged long backhand drives with Wills, staying behind the baseline on her backhand side, clearly tempting her to go for the easy winner down the forehand side. But Helen Wills did not go for those winners. She hit ball after ball deep to Lenglen's backhand... one newsman wrote that Helen Wills played as though she believed Suzanne Lenglen's weakness was her backhand. It wasn't... Lenglen took... a 3-2 lead.

Lenglen won the 1st set 6-3. Between sets she had "two deep swallows" from her "emergency kit"--said to be iced cognac. "There was a noticably new spring in her walk when she returned to the baseline to receive Helen's serve."

Wills served the opening game of the second set. She sliced her first service wide to Lenglen's forehand, drew the Maid Marvel off the court, then moved in quickly and took the return with a winning volley to the backhand side. The crowd loved it. She took three more points in rapid succession and without much difficulty. The last point of the game was nearly unbelievable: a beautiful topped backhand shot straight down the line. The shot completely outwitted Lenglen and left her standing flatfooted in the backcourt. Wills had raised the level of play once again.

After 7 games the score stood at Wills 4, Lenglen 3. Before serving the eighth game, Suzanne Lenglen took another gulp from her emergency kit. Then she served and won the first point. But Helen Wills again came back and took two points and the lead. The fourth point of the game involved an exceptionally long rally. Then Lenglen returned one of Will's long forehand shots with a powerful forehand angled return. Helen moved for the ball near the juncture of the service line and the sideline. But then she held back on her swing and watched the ball bound well outside. Newsman Don Skene, sitting near where the ball came down, watched it hit wide by "three inches at least." Associated Press correspondent Ferdinand Tuohy also had no doubt about the ball. "It struck far outside," he wrote.

Cyril Tolley, the line judge, remained silent. Helen Wills stood for a moment near where the ball went down, listening for the call. Then, in an extremely rare gesture, she abandoned her silence and her serenity and her poker-faced look. In a loud and clear voice, almost a desperate shout that betrayed her anger, she demanded of Tolley, "What did you call that ball?" "Inside," he responded. "The shot was good!" Fred Moody, Helen's regular Riviera escort, was sitting near the line too, and he knew that the ball was out. He had no doubts at all. "The ball was out and Helen was robbed."

In the eleventh game Lenglen broke Wills service at 30 and appeared to be in control of the match. She now led 6-5 with her own service coming. Then, with renewed confidence she jumped out to a 40-15 lead and double match point in the twelfth game. She hit her first match point down the middle to Wills's backhand and then stayed back for the return. There were several long exchanges as Helen tried pull Suzanne into the forehand corner with some powerful crosscourt blasts. Eventually, Wills sent a sizzling drive deep into that corner. Lenglen moved over for the return, hesitated, and then stopped. Then she heard a wonderful wonderful wonderful sound as a loud and clear voice roared "Ouuuut!" Suzanne Lenglen flung the remaining two tennis balls she held high into the sky and skipped quickly to the net, a smile of relief on her face, her right hand extended. Helen Wills met her at the net and grasped her hand. The tennis court was almost instantly engulfed by a mob.

Meanwhile, from the far end of the court Lord Charles Hope frantically fought his way through the crowd, swimming through the shouting celebrants to the umpire's chair. When he was within a few feet of Commander Hillyard, he shouted out a shocking statement. "The shot was good!" he said. "I didn't call it out!" Once Hillyard was certain that he had heard Hope right, he turned apologetically to Suzanne. "The match is not over," he said cautiously. "That ball was good." Suzanne Lenglen gave the umpire a stunned look as the remark registered. The she responded in a calm and deliberately measured tone, "Then we must go on." Helen Wills saved the second match point and brought the game to deuce. Then with her hard drives and sharp crisp angles she took two more points and the twelfth game. Six to six.

Suzanne Lenglen [now leading 7-6] served cautiously in the fourteenth game, placing each service with meticulous care... Finally, with one of her pretty placements she arrived once more at match point. This was fifteen minutes after she believed she had won the match. She served to Wills's backhand once again and took the strong return with her forehand, punching over a drop shot just to the left of the center line. Wills responded wtih a running desperate save that was high over the net. Too high... Lenglen... caught it near the service line, shoulder high and slapped it back at an angle across the court for a winner. The match was over."


http://tennis.quickfound.net/history...len_wills.html

Sam L Dec 28th, 2012 04:35 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobito (Post 22636931)
Suzanne Lenglen def Helen Wills 6-3 8-6, Cannes 1926



The "Match of the Century"
"After 1923, demand for Lenglen and Wills to play each other kept growing. They finally met in the final of a tourney at the Carlton Club in Cannes, France, on February 16, 1926. There were 4000 spectators.

In the fourth game Lenglen seized control of the 1st set. She exchanged long backhand drives with Wills, staying behind the baseline on her backhand side, clearly tempting her to go for the easy winner down the forehand side. But Helen Wills did not go for those winners. She hit ball after ball deep to Lenglen's backhand... one newsman wrote that Helen Wills played as though she believed Suzanne Lenglen's weakness was her backhand. It wasn't... Lenglen took... a 3-2 lead.

Lenglen won the 1st set 6-3. Between sets she had "two deep swallows" from her "emergency kit"--said to be iced cognac. "There was a noticably new spring in her walk when she returned to the baseline to receive Helen's serve."

Wills served the opening game of the second set. She sliced her first service wide to Lenglen's forehand, drew the Maid Marvel off the court, then moved in quickly and took the return with a winning volley to the backhand side. The crowd loved it. She took three more points in rapid succession and without much difficulty. The last point of the game was nearly unbelievable: a beautiful topped backhand shot straight down the line. The shot completely outwitted Lenglen and left her standing flatfooted in the backcourt. Wills had raised the level of play once again.

After 7 games the score stood at Wills 4, Lenglen 3. Before serving the eighth game, Suzanne Lenglen took another gulp from her emergency kit. Then she served and won the first point. But Helen Wills again came back and took two points and the lead. The fourth point of the game involved an exceptionally long rally. Then Lenglen returned one of Will's long forehand shots with a powerful forehand angled return. Helen moved for the ball near the juncture of the service line and the sideline. But then she held back on her swing and watched the ball bound well outside. Newsman Don Skene, sitting near where the ball came down, watched it hit wide by "three inches at least." Associated Press correspondent Ferdinand Tuohy also had no doubt about the ball. "It struck far outside," he wrote.

Cyril Tolley, the line judge, remained silent. Helen Wills stood for a moment near where the ball went down, listening for the call. Then, in an extremely rare gesture, she abandoned her silence and her serenity and her poker-faced look. In a loud and clear voice, almost a desperate shout that betrayed her anger, she demanded of Tolley, "What did you call that ball?" "Inside," he responded. "The shot was good!" Fred Moody, Helen's regular Riviera escort, was sitting near the line too, and he knew that the ball was out. He had no doubts at all. "The ball was out and Helen was robbed."

In the eleventh game Lenglen broke Wills service at 30 and appeared to be in control of the match. She now led 6-5 with her own service coming. Then, with renewed confidence she jumped out to a 40-15 lead and double match point in the twelfth game. She hit her first match point down the middle to Wills's backhand and then stayed back for the return. There were several long exchanges as Helen tried pull Suzanne into the forehand corner with some powerful crosscourt blasts. Eventually, Wills sent a sizzling drive deep into that corner. Lenglen moved over for the return, hesitated, and then stopped. Then she heard a wonderful wonderful wonderful sound as a loud and clear voice roared "Ouuuut!" Suzanne Lenglen flung the remaining two tennis balls she held high into the sky and skipped quickly to the net, a smile of relief on her face, her right hand extended. Helen Wills met her at the net and grasped her hand. The tennis court was almost instantly engulfed by a mob.

Meanwhile, from the far end of the court Lord Charles Hope frantically fought his way through the crowd, swimming through the shouting celebrants to the umpire's chair. When he was within a few feet of Commander Hillyard, he shouted out a shocking statement. "The shot was good!" he said. "I didn't call it out!" Once Hillyard was certain that he had heard Hope right, he turned apologetically to Suzanne. "The match is not over," he said cautiously. "That ball was good." Suzanne Lenglen gave the umpire a stunned look as the remark registered. The she responded in a calm and deliberately measured tone, "Then we must go on." Helen Wills saved the second match point and brought the game to deuce. Then with her hard drives and sharp crisp angles she took two more points and the twelfth game. Six to six.

Suzanne Lenglen [now leading 7-6] served cautiously in the fourteenth game, placing each service with meticulous care... Finally, with one of her pretty placements she arrived once more at match point. This was fifteen minutes after she believed she had won the match. She served to Wills's backhand once again and took the strong return with her forehand, punching over a drop shot just to the left of the center line. Wills responded wtih a running desperate save that was high over the net. Too high... Lenglen... caught it near the service line, shoulder high and slapped it back at an angle across the court for a winner. The match was over."


http://tennis.quickfound.net/history...len_wills.html

:lol: Have you seen the whole match?

Charlatan Dec 28th, 2012 04:36 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
A longer highlight :)


bobito Dec 28th, 2012 04:47 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam L (Post 22636967)
:lol: Have you seen the whole match?

I'm not quite that old :lol: I just wanted to point out that the best match of "All Time" is not restricted to those that people can remember. Lenglen v Wills is still a leading contender, not least because it was the only time these first two greats of women's tennis played each other.

Sam L Dec 28th, 2012 04:51 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobito (Post 22637012)
I'm not quite that old :lol: I just wanted to point out that the best match of "All Time" is not restricted to those that people can remember. Lenglen v Wills is still a leading contender, not least because it was the only time these first two greats of women's tennis played each other.

From what I've read I would've picked Lenglen v Lambert Chambers '19 Wimbledon final. It seemed to be a higher quality match with two opposing styles of play. This match was much more hyped up though.

kingjameo Dec 28th, 2012 06:55 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
it was the only time these first two greats of women's tennis played each other.

Sombrerero loco Dec 28th, 2012 07:28 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
no Legendīs matches on the poll? next

Singleniacki Dec 28th, 2012 07:57 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
The greatest match of all time in mind is Schiavone def Kuznetsova AO 11. I'll say it time and time again.

GAGAlady Dec 28th, 2012 08:21 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
CAPRIATI vs henin was for me the best

Andy. Dec 28th, 2012 09:34 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Wimbledon final 2005.

Chrissie-fan Dec 28th, 2012 10:00 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobito (Post 22637012)
I'm not quite that old :lol: I just wanted to point out that the best match of "All Time" is not restricted to those that people can remember. Lenglen v Wills is still a leading contender, not least because it was the only time these first two greats of women's tennis played each other.

True, but at TF 'all time' usually means 'the last ten years.' If ten yeas from now there's another poll like this it will be dominated by matches from 2013-2022. That's not a criticism because it's normal that people vote for matches that they have seen. On the other hand it's also a reason to take the results with a grain of salt.

petkoan Dec 28th, 2012 10:01 AM

Re: Best match of ALL-TIME? (Poll included!)
 
It was voted by thousands and thousands of people worldwide: 1999 French Open Final - Graf def. Hingis.
Next.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.