TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   The Siberian Siren (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331)
-   -   Favorite match from 2012? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=472276)

Stonerpova Dec 20th, 2012 10:20 PM

Favorite match from 2012?

We've talked about her best performances of the season here a bit, but I'm curious as to what everyone's favorite Maria match from this year is.

For me it's no doubt the Rome final. Hotmesspova defeating Errorli during a monsoon gave me LIFE.

Runner-up would be her Olympics match against Lisicki. I was screaming and swearing and throwing highlighters at the wall during that match and she was a mess mentally, but I don't know if I've ever seen her outwardly want a match more than that. I just wish we could have HL on Youtube.

Post yours!

Cosmic Voices Dec 20th, 2012 10:23 PM

Re: Favorite match from 2012?

im sure there was a thread already started in SS about this? :shrug:

Stonerpova Dec 20th, 2012 10:37 PM

:o

Charlatan Dec 20th, 2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmic Voices (Post 22608114)
im sure there was a thread already started in SS about this? :shrug:

That thread is 'her best match' while this is your favorite match. Slightly different :p

Mine would be AO 12 SF. In a sense, I kind of agree with dsanders that it probably affects petra's mentality to play against Pova. And I hope the pattern continues and martha adds miss unbeatable 111 to her punchbag list soon :drool:

I also love all the grueling hard-fought 3-hour mark matches she played throughout 2012: IW QF, Stuttgart QF, Olympics 3R, YEC RR. And the fact that she was barely affected by the marathon matches on the following days just shows how strong she has become physically, stamina wise. I like the way her team and physio focus on her recovery process.

Cosmic Voices Dec 21st, 2012 12:07 AM

Ah my bad, post as you will :lol:
I'll choose mine later :oh:

domon17th Dec 21st, 2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sickfalsetto (Post 22608386)
That thread is 'her best match' while this is your favorite match. Slightly different :p

Mine would be AO 12 SF. In a sense, I kind of agree with dsanders that it probably affects petra's mentality to play against Pova. And I hope the pattern continues and martha adds miss unbeatable 111 to her punchbag list soon :drool:

I also love all the grueling hard-fought 3-hour mark matches she played throughout 2012: IW QF, Stuttgart QF, Olympics 3R, YEC RR. And the fact that she was barely affected by the marathon matches on the following days just shows how strong she has become physically, stamina wise. I like the way her team and physio focus on her recovery process.

All of this. Particularly about the AO SF against KvittyGOAT. Probably also because I skipped school to watch it live, and my heart literally died a few times during that final set. Exhausting match.

I'm grateful I didn't see the Rome final live though. :oh:

TrollPova Dec 21st, 2012 11:18 AM

Gosh, there are so many to pick from this year, especially from her bucket of RevengePova classics. The Stuttgart QF against Stosur is definitely my favorite of the year quality-wise. They were both playing unbelievably well. And that Rome final..good Lord. I don't like to think about what my mental state would have been had she lost that match. Probably the most terrifying/y shitty final I've ever seen her play. The conditions were absolutely hilarious and dramatic. Then it's a toss-up between her Olympics match vs. Lisicki and her YEC RR match against Radwanska. She was just so demonstrable in both those matches in ways we haven't really seen until this year. I loved it. Gah. I loved this season

shaktincredible Dec 21st, 2012 03:48 PM

my personal fave:

Stuttgart final vs Azarenka
Rome QF vs V Williams
French Open final vs Errani
Olympic 3rd round vs Lisicki
Olympic QF vs Clijsters
US open 4th round vs Petrova
US open QF vs Bartoli
Beijing QF vs Kerber

gc-spurs Dec 22nd, 2012 06:46 AM

Aus Open semi vs Kvitova

JoPova Dec 22nd, 2012 10:32 AM

AO SF vs Petra Kvitova

also:

Olympics 3r vs Sabine Lisicki
YEC RR vs Agnieszka Radwanska
Miami SF vs Caroline Wozniacki

Cosmic Voices Dec 22nd, 2012 10:40 AM

AO SF vs. Kvitova
Stuttgart QF vs. Stosur
Rome F vs. Na :hysteric:
Olympics 4th vs. Lisicki
YEC SF vs. Vika

Asanty Dec 22nd, 2012 01:40 PM

Olympics QF? You made me laugh. It was mediocre match. She completely lost herself after 2 first games, so many outs were there... Match with Kirilenko and Lisicki are much much better!

heelsrule1988 Dec 27th, 2012 04:50 AM

Got to be the US Open QF against Bartoli. I honestly didn't think she'd be able to get out of that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreiter (Post 22609790)
The Stuttgart QF against Stosur is definitely my favorite of the year quality-wise. They were both playing unbelievably well.

I always say that was like watching a men's match... I enjoyed watching service games being held on a consistent basis.

Silas Dec 27th, 2012 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heelsrule1988 (Post 22631144)
Got to be the US Open QF against Bartoli. I honestly didn't think she'd be able to get out of that one.

I always say that was like watching a men's match... I enjoyed watching service games being held on a consistent basis.

i felt so bad for Bartoli though... she tried SO hard to win but just couldn't...

claypova Dec 27th, 2012 05:14 AM

Of the ones I watched: AO SF, RG final :bounce: