TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Players playing at their peak and still losing the match (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=471762)

Leo St Dec 2nd, 2012 11:54 PM

Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
im sure it happens from time to time.. can you recall an ocasion? i mean elite players, or else this list would be endless

unless were talking about errani rg final, it probably means the match was a classic because someone had to overplay an elite player at her best in order to win

SilverPersian Dec 3rd, 2012 12:10 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
I think (apart from a blip at a very, very important point of the match :sobbing:) Sam played about as well as I've ever seen against Maria at Stuttgart this year. I really respect Maria for that win.

Sam's probably played better a few times before, but this was quite close to her peak IMO.

Stonerpova Dec 3rd, 2012 12:18 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Kerber against Azarenka in iStanbul
Jankovic against Serena at the US Open in 2008
Dementieva against Serena at Wimbledon in 2009

Svetlana))) Dec 3rd, 2012 12:19 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Svetlana played the best she's ever played on grass and still lost to Venus in the 07 W QF

liuxuan Dec 3rd, 2012 12:42 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Mary Pierce played the best grass court match ive ever seen her play in losing 6-0 7-6 to Venus at Wimbledon 2005

Capriati was playing peak tennis for the best part of her us open semi final defeat to Justine in 03

Hingis' defeat to Venus at Wimbledon 2000 was the best ive seen her play on grass

duhcity Dec 3rd, 2012 12:46 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
I think you'll see a trend for a list like this, with players who are more defensive or counterpunch-y in style playing someone who gives them an incredible amount of pace to work with

Brad[le]y. Dec 3rd, 2012 12:56 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by liuxuan (Post 22542631)
Mary Pierce played the best grass court match ive ever seen her play in losing 6-0 7-6 to Venus at Wimbledon 2005

Capriati was playing peak tennis for the best part of her us open semi final defeat to Justine in 03

Hingis' defeat to Venus at Wimbledon 2000 was the best ive seen her play on grass

I think their USO match that year was amazing. Martina played well but wasn't brave enough to put away an overhead that would have given her match points.

JarkaFish Dec 3rd, 2012 01:00 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Kerber vs Azarenka at the YEC.

Stosur in the second/third sets of USO QF vs Azarenka.

The Dawntreader Dec 3rd, 2012 01:03 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svetlana))) (Post 22542590)
Svetlana played the best she's ever played on grass and still lost to Venus in the 07 W QF

Indeed.

Also re Kuznetsova, her final against Serena in Beijing in '04 was pretty much Sveta in her most destructive, buoyant form, and still she lost.

Helen Lawson Dec 3rd, 2012 01:04 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
I think Davenport in the 2005 Wimbledon final.

Hardiansf Dec 3rd, 2012 01:05 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Dementieva to Serena at that classic Wimbledon semifinal

producer88 Dec 3rd, 2012 01:06 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Sharapova lost to Serena Olympic final. I honestly thought she was going to put up a fight, because she was dominant at the Olympics as well, and didn't play bad at the final. You can tell Maria was giving it her all, but I mean it's Serena.

I actually think this happens a lot against Rena. Some players play peak, but still can't beat her.

JarkaFish Dec 3rd, 2012 01:07 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by producer88 (Post 22542670)
Sharapova lost to Serena Olympic final. I honestly thought she was going to put up a fight, because she was dominant at the Olympics as well, and didn't play bad at the final. You can tell Maria was giving it her all, but I mean it's Serena.

I actually think this happens a lot against Rena. Some players play peak, but still can't beat her.

Yeah I don't think Maria was playing anywhere near her peak in that final and I'm not even a fan. It's been a long time since I watched though so I could be wrong.

égalité Dec 3rd, 2012 01:45 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
What about the 2008 Wimbledon final? :oh:

Stonerpova Dec 3rd, 2012 01:47 AM

Re: Players playing at their peak and still losing the match
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by égalité (Post 22542746)
What about the 2008 Wimbledon final? :oh:

:spit:


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.