TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Which world #5 is the best player at her peak? Hantuchova, Chakvetadze or Kerber? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=471553)

Julian. Nov 26th, 2012 05:14 AM

Which world #5 is the best player at her peak? Hantuchova, Chakvetadze or Kerber?

As of the end 2012, 3 active players have a highest ranking of world #5. They are Daniela Hantuchova, Anna Chakvetadze and Angelique Kerber. Some people claim that they don't deserve to be ranked inside the Top 5.

All three of them reached the semifinal of grand slam. (The furthest round they've reached so far at grand slam). Hantuchova at AO08, Chakvetadze at USO07, Kerber at USO11 and W12.

Who is the best player at her peak?

JCTennisFan Nov 26th, 2012 05:41 AM

Re: Which world #5 is the best player at her peak? Hantuchova, Chakvetadze or Kerber?

From what I have seen thus far... Kerber.

Hantuchova was a 2nd tier power player whom moved poorly. Her career high rank was in 2002 IIRC and that was a period where Serena, Venus, Capriati, etc hogged up all the points and left little to be distributed to the other players... which produced some odd ranking results that year. Hantuchova was one of those odd ranking outcomes... at her best she really should have been relegated to the bottom rung of the top 10.

Chaky overachieved... point blank. Like Hantuchova she honestly shouldnt have gotten higher than maybe 7 or 8 in the world.

Shonami Slam Nov 26th, 2012 08:00 AM

Re: Which world #5 is the best player at her peak? Hantuchova, Chakvetadze or Kerber?

for her period of 12 months, a-chak was breaking players mentally and winning with effortless tennis.
her# 5 was justified, imo.

as for hantuchova, she has too many bad years in her resume, though peak level is brilliant counter tennis... its just that she doesnt do much other than that due to her lack of movement.

kerber might still snach the# 4 spot. she was two errani losses away from having a really outstanding year.

Julian. Nov 26th, 2012 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCTennisFan (Post 22518689)
From what I have seen thus far... Kerber.

Hantuchova was a 2nd tier power player whom moved poorly. Her career high rank was in 2002 IIRC and that was a period where Serena, Venus, Capriati, etc hogged up all the points and left little to be distributed to the other players... which produced some odd ranking results that year. Hantuchova was one of those odd ranking outcomes... at her best she really should have been relegated to the bottom rung of the top 10.

Isn't the same thing happened this year where Azarenka, Sharapova and Serena basically hogged up all the points this year? :lol:

So we can say the same thing to Kerber? :lol:

saint2 Nov 26th, 2012 04:33 PM

Hantuchova>Chakvetadze>>>>>>>>>Kerber

Wiggly Nov 26th, 2012 05:59 PM

Hantuchova could've been a Top Ten player for much more years had she been mentally stable back in 2003.

monmonito Nov 26th, 2012 06:00 PM

Daniela

Sammo Nov 26th, 2012 06:00 PM

At their peaks Hantuchova is better than Chakvetadze, and Kerber will never be remotely as good as any of the 2.

crazillo Nov 26th, 2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggly (Post 22520248)
Hantuchova could've been a Top Ten player for much more years had she been mentally stable back in 2003.

You always seem to defend Daniela. This thread (in contrast to the Maleeva/Rubin/Hantuchova/Schnyder thread) asks about the player's peak tennis though.

And in this regard, I have to go with Chakvedatze. She was able to take apart players almost effortless. I think she was really good - but only for a year unfortunately. As this thread is about peaks, I would go with her.

Nalby fan Nov 26th, 2012 06:25 PM

Angie has too many great wins this year for me to vote for anyone else.

Anna and Dani always seemed to come up short against the very best.

Inger67 Nov 26th, 2012 06:26 PM

Voted Hantuchova without thinking much about this.

Want to change my vote to Kerber now :sobbing:

MB. Nov 26th, 2012 07:21 PM

Dani.

Chak is my favorite, though.

Anyways, I hate these peak v. peak. Obviously, an aggressive baseliner hits a "better" peak, but it's sustained for less time throughout the year than someone who's more of a CP/defensive (aka Chak).

Stonerpova Nov 26th, 2012 07:24 PM

Hantuchova is so overrated. It's clearly Kerber.

GOATdin0931 Nov 26th, 2012 07:32 PM

Dani :bowdown:

RobinT83 Nov 26th, 2012 07:40 PM

Kerber, easily.