TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=471244)

Morning Morgan Nov 17th, 2012 03:44 PM

Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game?

For comparison sake, assume all players are right handed.

Case for the backhand: Defending the backhand corner is harder than the forehand corner, and female players are less athletic than men in general, making defending even harder. Having a lethal crosscourt backhand gives a high percentage attacking shot which gives good dividends for a weak reply from the opponent.

Case for the forehand: Natural selection above selects for good backhands but rubbish forehands. Having a huge forehand gives one an easy time attacking the forehand wing of the opponent. And in general, forehand has a higher power potential, if done right should be hit harder than the backhand.

Choose :oh:

Matze Nov 17th, 2012 03:51 PM

Re: Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game?

Tough ask... For me hitting winners of both wings feels awesome... But a great backhand down the line tops a nice forehand winner imo... So if I had to give one concret answer, I would say a backhand a la Venus Williams!!!

ElusiveChanteuse Nov 17th, 2012 03:51 PM

Re: Would you rather have the best backhand or best forehand in the women's game?

FH for sure.

HaplessPossum Nov 17th, 2012 08:47 PM

Tough question but I'd go with a backhand like the one that Venus has got. Able to hit winners from pretty much anywhere with that shot; down the line, cross court and even inside out.

Stonerpova Nov 17th, 2012 08:48 PM

Forehand for sure.

GOATdin0931 Nov 17th, 2012 08:52 PM

I would say backhand because it is unique and harder to pick on.

But I like my forehand so much better :oh:

Tag Nov 18th, 2012 01:45 AM

forehand, easily

forehands win slams

backhands don't

binky-GOAT Nov 18th, 2012 01:55 AM

Forehand - offensive shot (ie much easier to attack short balls with)
Backhand - defensive shot (ie better for counter attacking / neutralizing a point)

At the highest level, if two players are playing at their peak, attack always wins. So forehand.

Although women are far better at backhands, so that's why you see the top women have powerful backhands which they can attack with, but still a forehand is better if they had it.

Tag Nov 18th, 2012 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaplessPossum (Post 22489153)
Tough question but I'd go with a backhand like the one that Venus has got. Able to hit winners from pretty much anywhere with that shot; down the line, cross court and even inside out.

graf

/end

moby Nov 18th, 2012 02:38 AM

Forehand obviously. The most lethal groundstroke in a rally situation is the run around forehand in the ad court from which one can go inside-out or inside-in because of the possibilities in placement and disguise and power potential. The best players ever (Graf and Federer), and players with strong forehands in general, rely on this pattern a lot. This also solves the problem of defending the backhand. (Although both players were also susceptible to a perfect BTL - and it had to be perfect since it was going to their stronger forehand side - from the opponent, which is a difficult shot to execute that well even for players who excel in it.)

Even Ivanovic got a slam with this play.

TheDream Nov 18th, 2012 03:10 AM

Forehand for sure. But, within the last few years it seems like having a solid forehand yet great backhand is the prototype for most players nowadays. Azarenka, Kim, Li, Maria, Henin, Venus, all have stronger backhands than forehands.

I feel like you can get away with a local forehand these days, but if you don't have the movement and footwork of Graf, the backhand side can really get picked apart if you can't run around it effectively enough.

netphobia Nov 18th, 2012 03:46 AM

Forehand DTL is just :drool:. Definitely FH, because of two things:

1. It's one of the most iconic shots in the game.
2. You can run around it easier than you can run around a backhand.

Mynarco Nov 18th, 2012 03:52 AM

Forehand.

wildemu Nov 18th, 2012 03:52 AM

I would do anything to have a great one handed backhand. Have been brought up on the 2 hander and it is boring as hell.

Maddox Nov 18th, 2012 04:03 AM

It is generally easier to hit winners off the forehand side for most players so I would chose forehand.
But a backhand that also can hit winners anywhere would be awesome as well.
Venus's backhand is a great example of this :drool: