TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Peak Serena vs peak Seles (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=471174)

forehand27 Nov 15th, 2012 07:08 PM

Peak Serena vs peak Seles

The Seles of 91-92 vs the Serena of 2002-2003 who wins. I would favor Serena on all but clay. Not sure who is the better player in that instance, probably Serena as most regard her playing level of 02-03 the highest ever by a women even if statistically both Serena of 02-03 and Seles of 91-92 are inferior to Navratilova of 83-84, Graf of 88-89, and some corpses from the distant past. However it is close in that sense. However as far as a head to head matchup Serena and any huge power player who also moves better than Seles is a nightmare matchup for her.

sweetadri06 Nov 15th, 2012 07:19 PM

Re: Peak Serena vs peak Seles

I pick Serena everywhere, she along with her sister took the seles game to the next level.

Start da Game Nov 15th, 2012 07:26 PM

grass: serena wipes out seles 1 and 2

clay: seles blasts serena 2 and 3

hardcourts: close contests with serena edging out 60% of the contests and seles comfortably winning the remaining

do not underestimate peak seles.....

forehand27 Nov 15th, 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetadri06 (Post 22481708)
I pick Serena everywhere, she along with her sister took the seles game to the next level.

Come to think of it the Serena of 2012 Charleston and 2012 Madrid would probably even beat peak Seles on clay. Then again many feel those (especialy Madrid) were not real clay courts, including the men.

LightWarrior Nov 15th, 2012 07:29 PM

I wonder who would win at 5/5 in the 3rd set as both are probably the 2 GOATS mentally.

Matt01 Nov 15th, 2012 08:35 PM

On clay Seles.

bandabou Nov 15th, 2012 08:38 PM

The faster the surface, the lower Monica's chances get of beating Serena..would have been an amazing match for sure.

Olórin Nov 15th, 2012 09:45 PM

Hard to bet against Seles on the red clay of Roland Garros where she was on track to becoming one of the clay GOATs before the stabbing derailed her career trajectory. Really hard to overlook her there. But Serena everywhere else, not often dropping sets.

Miss Atomic Bomb Nov 15th, 2012 09:51 PM

Peak Seles on clay is unrivalled while Peak Serena on hard is unrivalled. Serena would win comfortable on grass as well.

It would be a match of epic proportions on slow hc though with Serena coming on top.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using VerticalSports.Com App

forehand27 Nov 15th, 2012 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt01 (Post 22481956)
On clay Seles.

OK I have to ask you something here out of curiosity. I notice you are the same poster who in the Peak Pierce thread was arguing profusely that Peak Pierce was better than peak Serena on all but grass, and maybe even on grass, lol! Yet in a thread comparing Serena to peak Seles you are giving Serena all but clay. So do you:

1. Believe peak Pierce is superior to peak Seles in which case ROTFL!!!
2. Just believe Pierce is a tougher "matchup" for Serena than Seles which I cant see possibly how, but you are entitled your opinion I guess

Miss Atomic Bomb Nov 15th, 2012 09:59 PM

^ don't bother making sense of his fail posts. He always posts this rhetorical useless crap

Sent from my GT-N7100 using VerticalSports.Com App

L'Enfant Sauvage Nov 15th, 2012 11:36 PM

Serena definitely wins on all types of hard, with Seles winning sets here or there. On grass I don't want to imagine what would happen to Monica. On clay it's an actual contest, considering we're talking about 02-03 Peakrena, not 04-current RGQuarterena. More importantly though, it's the matchup. Serena eats slow power players for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack. Granted the ones we have on tour now aren't as good as Monica, but when they're getting beat 1&2, 0&1 by a non-peak Serena in the first place... :lol:

Average pre-stabbing Seles vs Average Serena even with the matchup disadvantage would lead on clay, especially red. That being said I don't think even peak Seles would be able to outhit, outmaneuver or outlast the Serena of 02', who hit harder than her, was light years quicker than her, and even mentally tougher, if anyone could have imagined that during Seles' time.

sweetadri06 Nov 15th, 2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Williamsova (Post 22482384)
Serena definitely wins on all types of hard, with Seles winning sets here or there. On grass I don't want to imagine what would happen to Monica. On clay it's an actual contest, considering we're talking about 02-03 Peakrena, not 04-current RGQuarterena. More importantly though, it's the matchup. Serena eats slow power players for breakfast, lunch, dinner and a midnight snack. Granted the ones we have on tour now aren't as good as Monica, but when they're getting beat 1&2, 0&1 by a non-peak Serena in the first place... :lol:

Average pre-stabbing Seles vs Average Serena even with the matchup disadvantage would lead on clay, especially red. That being said I don't think even peak Seles would be able to outhit, outmaneuver or outlast the Serena of 02', who hit harder than her, was light years quicker than her, and even mentally tougher, if anyone could have imagined that during Seles' time.

I agree. Serena circa 2002-2003 moves better than Seles ever did, so clay would maybe be a contest but Serena comes out on top. (imo)

Rolling-Thunder Nov 16th, 2012 12:18 AM

I picked Serena for all surfaces except clay.

Serena>Seles on Aussieturf
Seles>Serena on clay
Serena>>>Seles on grass
Serena>Seles on hardcourts

The biggest blowout would be on grass. Serena would love Seles pace and would take advantage of her movement.

bandabou Nov 16th, 2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forehand27 (Post 22482147)
OK I have to ask you something here out of curiosity. I notice you are the same poster who in the Peak Pierce thread was arguing profusely that Peak Pierce was better than peak Serena on all but grass, and maybe even on grass, lol! Yet in a thread comparing Serena to peak Seles you are giving Serena all but clay. So do you:

1. Believe peak Pierce is superior to peak Seles in which case ROTFL!!!
2. Just believe Pierce is a tougher "matchup" for Serena than Seles which I cant see possibly how, but you are entitled your opinion I guess

Very interesting questions indeed. Matty can get deluded at times, soo...:lol: