TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Woman in Ireland dies of septicaemia after being denied an abortion (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=471131)

Ferg Nov 14th, 2012 05:32 PM

Woman in Ireland dies of septicaemia after being denied an abortion

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...326575203.html

Quote:

Two investigations are under way into the death of a woman who was 17 weeks pregnant, at University Hospital Galway last month.

Savita Halappanavar (31), a dentist, presented with back pain at the hospital on October 21st, was found to be miscarrying, and died of septicaemia a week later.

Her husband, Praveen Halappanavar (34), an engineer at Boston Scientific in Galway, says she asked several times over a three-day period that the pregnancy be terminated. He says that, having been told she was miscarrying, and after one day in severe pain, Ms Halappanavar asked for a medical termination.

This was refused, he says, because the foetal heartbeat was still present and they were told, “this is a Catholic country”.

She spent a further 2½ days “in agony” until the foetal heartbeat stopped.

Intensive care

The dead foetus was removed and Savita was taken to the high dependency unit and then the intensive care unit, where she died of septicaemia on the 28th.

An autopsy carried out by Dr Grace Callagy two days later found she died of septicaemia “documented ante-mortem” and E.coli ESBL.

A hospital spokesman confirmed the Health Service Executive had begun an investigation while the hospital had also instigated an internal investigation. He said the hospital extended its sympathy to the family and friends of Ms Halappanavar but could not discuss the details of any individual case.

Speaking from Belgaum in the Karnataka region of southwest India, Mr Halappanavar said an internal examination was performed when she first presented.

“The doctor told us the cervix was fully dilated, amniotic fluid was leaking and unfortunately the baby wouldn’t survive.” The doctor, he says, said it should be over in a few hours. There followed three days, he says, of the foetal heartbeat being checked several times a day.

“Savita was really in agony. She was very upset, but she accepted she was losing the baby. When the consultant came on the ward rounds on Monday morning Savita asked if they could not save the baby could they induce to end the pregnancy. The consultant said, ‘As long as there is a foetal heartbeat we can’t do anything’.

“Again on Tuesday morning, the ward rounds and the same discussion. The consultant said it was the law, that this is a Catholic country. Savita [a Hindu] said: ‘I am neither Irish nor Catholic’ but they said there was nothing they could do.

“That evening she developed shakes and shivering and she was vomiting. She went to use the toilet and she collapsed. There were big alarms and a doctor took bloods and started her on antibiotics.

“The next morning I said she was so sick and asked again that they just end it, but they said they couldn’t.”

Critically ill

At lunchtime the foetal heart had stopped and Ms Halappanavar was brought to theatre to have the womb contents removed. “When she came out she was talking okay but she was very sick. That’s the last time I spoke to her.”

At 11 pm he got a call from the hospital. “They said they were shifting her to intensive care. Her heart and pulse were low, her temperature was high. She was sedated and critical but stable. She stayed stable on Friday but by 7pm on Saturday they said her heart, kidneys and liver weren’t functioning. She was critically ill. That night, we lost her.”

Mr Halappanavar took his wife’s body home on Thursday, November 1st, where she was cremated and laid to rest on November 3rd.

The hospital spokesman said that in general sudden hospital deaths were reported to the coroner. In the case of maternal deaths, a risk review of the case was carried out.

External experts were involved in this review and the family consulted on the terms of reference. They were also interviewed by the review team and given a copy of the report.
God, I hate this country so much sometimes. There goes the 'pro-life' nuts notion that no woman ever needs an abortion. Heartbeat of a dying foetus favoured over the life of a woman. So much for being 'pro-life'.

kwilliams Nov 14th, 2012 06:25 PM

Re: Woman in Ireland dies of septicaemia after being denied an abortion

It was good to see the protest in Dublin on the news tonight though. It seemed like a good turnout on such short notice. There's another protest scheduled for Saturday. I might go.

It seems that I was not alone in thinking that clearer provisions were not in place for doctors. It seems like they really have to wait until the danger is imminent before they can act. I'm kind of in shock that abortions are restricted to such a high level. It's so tragic. She was so young and the last few days of her life must have been filled with so much pain and anguish. Why should a woman have to go through such physical and emotional pain if the foetus is completely unviable?

I heard that her parents had just returned to India the day before she was taken to hospital but had left clothes behind in Savita's home in Galway for their intended return in March to see their grandchild. Now they've lost both their child and their grandchild. Praveen very nobly said that there was no use in being angry. He didn't seem to blame the doctors/consultants but said he wished for no one else to have to go through this! The Diwali festival in Galway has been cancelled in memory of Savita. Apparently, she played a big part in organising the festival.

The Catholic country comment irks me a lot. Was that supposed to be a reason or were staff just explaining why our laws are so f*ed up!? Either way, it's not really an accurate statement anymore and it's time our laws reflected that and safeguarded mothers' lives!

RIP Savita! I hope your death is not completely in vain and brings about some positive change in this country. You won't be forgotten :sad:

égalité Nov 14th, 2012 09:39 PM

"Pro-life" is one of the biggest misnomers out there. This whole mindset is anti-woman and that's about it.

Nicolás89 Nov 14th, 2012 09:55 PM

Religion should stay out of personal medical decisions.

Bijoux0021 Nov 14th, 2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by égalité (Post 22478553)
"Pro-life" is one of the biggest misnomers out there. This whole mindset is anti-woman and that's about it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matías. (Post 22478590)
Religion should stay out of personal medical decisions.

These.

kwilliams Nov 14th, 2012 10:11 PM

I read a Huffington Post article that said that the people rejected two referenda to allow for life saving terminations but actually what was rejected (TWICE!) were anti-abortion proposals. The people voted in favour of the 1992 supreme court ruling allowing abortions when a woman's life is at risk. This is not the only time an Irish government has held a referendum a second time because the results were contentious or difficult to enact. There should be uproar when any government tries to pull this shite! We're too apathetic in Ireland. It has taken a death for us to really try to force this issue...but force it, we will!! People (or at least people in my demographic) are outraged.

In the end, although lives may be saved in the future, it's all too little too late for poor Savita.

debby Nov 14th, 2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

I heard that her parents had just returned to India the day before she was taken to hospital but had left clothes behind in Savita's home in Galway for their intended return in March to see their grandchild. Now they've lost both their child and their grandchild.
:sad: :sad: :sad: This depresses me for the whole night.

RIP Savita... What a shame. Religions.. ugh

hablo Nov 14th, 2012 11:54 PM

RIP :sad:

Keegan Nov 15th, 2012 02:42 AM

I swear I've read before that abortion is illegal in Ireland unless the pregnancy poses a risk to the health of the mother, which this evidently did. The doctors were 100% in the wrong here, and now they've lost two jobs. I hope whoever was involved is blacklisted as this is a massive and controversial problem.

McPie Nov 15th, 2012 03:52 AM

oh when will they ever learnt :shrug:

kwilliams Nov 15th, 2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keegan (Post 22479261)
I swear I've read before that abortion is illegal in Ireland unless the pregnancy poses a risk to the health of the mother, which this evidently did. The doctors were 100% in the wrong here, and now they've lost two jobs. I hope whoever was involved is blacklisted as this is a massive and controversial problem.

I assume you mean lives?

As skeptical as I am about the involvement of the doctors, they were obeying/upholding the law. The blame lies completely with all of the governments that have been in power since 1992 and they failure to uphold the will of the people and legislative for life-saving terminations. Savita would have likely been saved had the the will of the people been heard and respected or if the public had forced the issue. We're too complacent and apathetic here. The rest of Europe riots over austerity measures, we have a quite protest and then just grumble about it afterwards. Our government don't fear us, as they should. We are to blame as much as they are.

Bijoux0021 Nov 15th, 2012 01:19 PM

Every time I read these horrible stories regarding some people denying women the right to make decisions about their own bodies, I think of these 2 quotes below:

“If men could get pregnant, abortion clinics would be like Starbucks - two on every block and four in every airport. And the morning-after pill would come in different flavors, like sea salt and cool ranch.”

"If Men Could Get Pregnant, Abortion Would be a Sacrament."

skanky~skanketta Nov 15th, 2012 02:20 PM

OMG I cant imagine the pain she must have gone through. My heat goes out to the family. And WTF @ the law.

LoveFifteen Nov 15th, 2012 02:41 PM

This is absolutely horrible. When will the world finally cast off religious wackos and stop letting them oppress us???

Ashi Nov 15th, 2012 03:52 PM

This is ALL over the news in India. Every newschannel worth their salt is airing this & having debates.
RIP