TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Amateur Players and Tennis Equipment Forum (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1401)
-   -   What do you do when facing break points? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=470262)

nazzac Oct 25th, 2012 05:49 PM

What do you do when facing break points?

Do you continue as you are going, hoping it will work? Do you take more risks and play more aggresively to get a winner? Or do you play with caution, and try minimise the chance of a UE?

For me, i generally play an aggresive and attacking game. If faced with BP's i normally try for an aggressive first serve, but if i fault then i'm more cautious on my 2nd because i don't want to hand it them on a plate with a DF. The rest depends on the opponent. If he's aggressive then i go with a little more caution and try to force and error. If he's defensive and plays safe, then i add a little more aggression.

What about you?

Sammo Oct 25th, 2012 06:55 PM

Re: What do you do when facing break points?

If he wants to get it, come and get it, I won't give away the point for free. I play with less risk though.

Cheda 16.17 Oct 25th, 2012 10:28 PM

I use variety sometimes... Sometimes I play very offensive on my serve, sometimes I play defensive, and if I have a chance, I'll risk on my backhand or forehand or I'll play agressive on forehand, and where are going the ball, it is. :)

Moveyourfeet Oct 26th, 2012 02:06 AM

In general, I play breakpoints with courage. I want to make sure I'm dictating the point so big flat first serve out wide, or heavy deep kick second serve. I'm aggressive with my feet and making sure I'm taking the ball early. If my opponent can handle it, good on him.

That being said, this approach can change if I'm struggling with my timing. In that case I will play with a bit more margin.

The Dawntreader Oct 26th, 2012 02:20 AM

1. Take my time.

2. Don't exaggerate the importance of the point. Treat it like a standard point in the match.

3. Hope my fugly technique doesn't bite me in the ass.

netphobia Oct 26th, 2012 05:50 AM

Collapse in on myself like a dying star.

hautecouture Oct 26th, 2012 06:32 AM

I slam dunk the tennis ball into his face for a winner

SilverSlam Oct 26th, 2012 12:03 PM

I play pretty aggressively, and I know that pushing and waiting for the error is NOT something I can outdo my opponents with most the time. Why bother giving them what they want?

I go for it, serve, second serve, FHs BHs I play aggressively and MAKE myself save the point. It's better mentally to have dictated that point, than thinking you opponent was too good.

doktor Oct 26th, 2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dawntreader (Post 22382548)
1. Take my time.

2. Don't exaggerate the importance of the point. Treat it like a standard point in the match.

3. Hope my fugly technique doesn't bite me in the ass.

:worship:

I try to treat every point the same, to the extent of reminding myself before each point 'deuce court point, my serve' or 'ad court point, his serve' to try remove the importance of score.

Works sometimes, but not enough :lol:

dynamoRockstarr Oct 26th, 2012 01:43 PM

I just take it as one more point. And it depends on the person I'm playing. If I can be aggressive, I'm going to be. If the other person is more aggressive than me, then I play with caution. But I remind myself, it's just a point and Imma take it.

fast lefty Oct 27th, 2012 05:22 PM

Play the game,not the scoreboard. A good rule this but I tended to ignore it in crucial points.and attacked.

The Witch-king Oct 30th, 2012 06:04 AM

Double-fault

Adrian. Oct 30th, 2012 01:44 PM

Folding like a cheap tent :sobbing:

---

Trying to go for the Ace, then a pussy 2nd serve, which is in 50% a DF and when I'm in the rally, I'm pushing harder than Wozniacka :hysteric:

Stonerpova Oct 30th, 2012 06:35 PM

1. Get the first serve in
2. Get a mid-court forehand and follow it into the net
3. Botch easy volley

Kəv. Nov 1st, 2012 05:17 AM

Push