TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   The Spanish Armada (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Garbiñe Muguruza (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=469761)

Martn7 Oct 15th, 2012 05:55 PM

Garbiñe Muguruza

Garbi se merece un thread. Hace tiempo que pensaba abrirlo y ya me he decidido

Martn7 Oct 15th, 2012 05:57 PM

Re: Garbiñe Muguruza

Garbi is playing in Luxembourg this week. She has qualified for the MD after beating Khromacheva 6-3 6-1. Her opponent in 1st round is Andrea Petkovic.

Good luck Garbi! :cheer:

borck Oct 15th, 2012 07:37 PM

Vamos Garbiñe! Confianza plena en ella.

Martn7 Oct 16th, 2012 08:41 PM

Garbi's 1st round match in Luxembourg will be streamed since it's on Centre Court. It will start not before 17:30 local time :D

Mañana podremos ver a Garbi contra Petkovic

Kipling Oct 17th, 2012 09:30 AM

Hola, and thanks for the notice and invitation to Garbiñe's new thread! :) Having seen her in person at two tournaments this year I am convinced she has all of the tools to be a superstar. I do wonder whether she has consistent coaching though. I know that in the spring, when she was playing in Florida, she said she was part of a group of players who were sharing coaches. Obviously the one she worked with at Clearwater and Miami was great for her game. I'm not sure if she has the same coaching relationship when she is in Europe/Asia, however. Her results haven't been quite as consistent.

The one thing I think is pretty obvious is that she does not play the typical Spanish style of defensive/counterpunching tennis. She lives and dies by the winner and error and I like the fact that she is not afraid to take the match on her racquet. I think for this reason she has the potential to eventually win slams and get to number 1, though it's obviously very early in her development. Right now, if she can focus on getting her serve under better control and holding it consistently she will make some huge strides almost immediately, I think. Her serve is big, but right now too inconsistent to call a "weapon".

Nice to see her string the three qualifying matches together in Luxembourg. I hope she keeps on a good roll against Petkovic!

Vamos, Garbi!

borck Oct 17th, 2012 10:46 AM

Wow! Thanks Aravanecaravan :)

Martn7 Oct 17th, 2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan (Post 22332318)
Right now, if she can focus on getting her serve under better control and holding it consistently she will make some huge strides almost immediately, I think. Her serve is big, but right now too inconsistent to call a "weapon".

I agree with you. She usually breaks her opponents many times in a match, but also gets broken too many times. When she is serving well and holds all the time matches are usually easy for her (for example, in her match versus Khromacheva she didn't get broken even once)

Martn7 Oct 17th, 2012 05:47 PM

Garbi lost to Petkovic 4-6 6-2 6-1.

She needs to be more consistent. Good play from her in the first set but in the last two sets she made too many errors (especially in the third). She also has to hold serve more often, today she held once in the last two sets combined

Kipling Oct 22nd, 2012 12:29 PM

I finally got to see the whole match. Serving was awful in those last two sets. As you say, Garbi needs consistency right now, but she has time for that. It's promising, I think, that she is playing so many three set matches. If she was getting blown out in two sets I would say that her future would be bleak, but now it's just a matter of getting some hold of her serve and reigning in some of those errors and I think she will blossom.

She's in the main draw of the $100K in Poitiers this week.

Martn7 Oct 22nd, 2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan (Post 22360432)
She's in the main draw of the $100K in Poitiers this week.

There is a stream for Centre Court so we may be able to watch her play :)

Kipling Jan 18th, 2013 08:36 PM

I know that the score of Garbi's match against Serena was ugly, but I think she played pretty well, and made a good impression, despite the scoreline. Most of the games were close, went to deuce or better, and could have been hers "but for" some ill timed errors. At least she went down swinging, which is what I like best about her game. She walked on the court and carried herself with poise and without fear, hit some nice winners, and was not intimidated, and walked around with the carriage of a champion, and I think that is something you cannot teach. She has the "it" that it takes to be a winner. And obviously her game is very big as well. She will learn from this experience and be better for it, and within a year or two, I think she will be a huge contender in the slams.

Martn7 Jan 18th, 2013 08:56 PM

I think the match was more competitive than the score suggests. There were a lot of games on her serve where she had GPs but in the end she got broken (for example the first game of the 2nd set). In an interview after the match she said she was bit nervous and maybe that was the reason why she made errors on key points. She was happy about the experience, she said the next time she plays on a big court she will probably feel less nervous and hit the ball better, and that there are no unbeatable players

borck Jan 19th, 2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aravanecaravan (Post 23233410)
I know that the score of Garbi's match against Serena was ugly, but I think she played pretty well, and made a good impression, despite the scoreline. Most of the games were close, went to deuce or better, and could have been hers "but for" some ill timed errors. At least she went down swinging, which is what I like best about her game. She walked on the court and carried herself with poise and without fear, hit some nice winners, and was not intimidated, and walked around with the carriage of a champion, and I think that is something you cannot teach. She has the "it" that it takes to be a winner. And obviously her game is very big as well. She will learn from this experience and be better for it, and within a year or two, I think she will be a huge contender in the slams.

I agree with you. She needs time and play with the best players.

Paw Jan 19th, 2013 07:35 PM

Y no es un poco raro abrir un thread de una jugadora ESPAÑOLA, en el apartado ESPAÑOL del foro, y poner todas las noticias en inglés desde el segundo post?

Vamos, supongo que lo hacéis para que este thread lo siga mas gente y ella tenga mas fans. Pero visto el éxito (habeis reclutado a una sola persona en 3 meses) sigo sin entender el porqué de esto. :confused:

Good luck Garbine.

borck Jan 19th, 2013 07:36 PM