TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Elena Baltacha To Return For Clay season Bombshell? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=469457)

flareon Oct 10th, 2012 09:55 AM

Elena Baltacha To Return For Clay season Bombshell?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/19892548

On her facebook there is pictures of the bit of bone they removed, shes now going to be out for 6 months, still unsure whether she will return...

I looked at player forum I could not find her forum... Maybe I just did not look hard enough.

CrossCourt~Rally Oct 10th, 2012 12:07 PM

Re: Elena Baltacha Undergoes Successful Foot Surgery

Wow, she's still not 100% sure if she'll return ?? :tears: Hopefully she'll try a comeback as she has to atleast use her SR :p

Shvedbarilescu Oct 10th, 2012 12:38 PM

I think it is quite sensible that Elena is keeping the question about whether she returns or not open.

I am always weary of people who state what they intend to be doing in 3 years time or 5 years time or even 6 months time. Fact is, none of us know what we will feel like in a couple of years time and neither do these individuals who apparently think they do.

When a player says they will retire before they reach their 30th birthday or that they will keep playing until, oh say the Brazilian Olympics, or anything else of this sort one should always take these comments with a grain of salt. Circumstances change. People's opinions and ambitions and plans change too. I know if I was a tennis player I would never make an attempt to plan my retirement in advance. I would simply retire when it seemed appropiate for me to do so, with my desire to continue to compete being the deciding factor.

That Elena is wise enough to realise this will be very much to her benefit. Without having committed herself to either retiring or returning she can listen to her heart closer to the time. She can then make a decision without any pressure and without having to worry about the awkwardness of having to announce some kind of change of mind.

jetglo Oct 10th, 2012 01:55 PM

Good luck and a speedy recovery Elena :)

Svetlana))) Oct 10th, 2012 02:03 PM

Only Shvedbarilescu would type an essay about the future of humanity :happy:

Anyway, good that this girl is still trying but she gotta realise that the money she gets (or doesn't) from tennis is not enough to cover her injuries

Sisyphus Oct 10th, 2012 02:08 PM

Who?

Wiggly Oct 10th, 2012 02:21 PM

With all due respect, a 29 years old journeywoman should retire after a 6 months injury.
The journey to make it back to the top 100 isn't worth it.

The LTA shouldn't even help her if she comeback as it would be better to give WCs to younger players.

pregunta Oct 10th, 2012 02:45 PM

retire for god sake :facepalm: , laura has come :cheer:

Marcoo Oct 10th, 2012 03:02 PM

wow so sad, i hope she'll come back anyway

Shvedbarilescu Oct 10th, 2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Svetlana))) (Post 22304011)
Only Shvedbarilescu would type an essay about the future of humanity :happy:

Anyway, good that this girl is still trying but she gotta realise that the money she gets (or doesn't) from tennis is not enough to cover her injuries

What the hell does what I wrote have to do with the future of humanity??!!

Anyway, for what it's worth my essay on the future of humanity would be much briefer and more succinct. It would read simply, "We are all going to die."

CoryAnnAvants#1 Oct 10th, 2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggly (Post 22304078)
With all due respect, a 29 years old journeywoman should retire after a 6 months injury.
The journey to make it back to the top 100 isn't worth it.

The LTA shouldn't even help her if she comeback as it would be better to give WCs to younger players.

Like who? You actually think GB has tons of promising players outside of the top 100 right now? Johanna Konta and possibly Tara Moore are the only ones who have shown they could make it on tour.

Even injured, she was still winning matches at Grand Slams. She's obviously never going to crack the top 30 or anything like that, but that doesn't mean she should retire. And if she wants a wild card to say goodbye at Wimbledon, being the British No. 1 for several years and an Olympian means she's more than worthy of it.

netphobia Oct 10th, 2012 03:32 PM

Some of you guys are :unsure:

If she wants to come back then she wants to regardless of if she ends her career top 30 or top 500. If she doesn't, sucks for her and GB.

gws anyway. :hug:

Super Dave Oct 10th, 2012 03:36 PM

Gute Besserung!

flareon Oct 10th, 2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AureaLibertas (Post 22304037)
Who?

The fact that you post a british flag next to your name makes this even more embaressing :o, MESS!

Petersmiler Oct 10th, 2012 03:52 PM

It's such a shame she is out injured now, when British tennis is on the climb. She's carried the flag for the women for so long and now that the pressure is less on her shoulders, she may have performed even better. Both her and Anne have really been pushing their careers to new highs the last couple of years and it would be such a shame for it to end just as tennis is back on the radar.