TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Where does Azarenka go from here? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=469336)

Volcana Oct 7th, 2012 04:44 PM

Where does Azarenka go from here?

Young, got the slam, got the #1 ranking, the basics are out of the way. In other words, she's Ana Ivanovic.

The distance between Azarenka and the only player better than her seems vast.
The distance between Azarenka and the next best player after her seems vast. (At least not on clay.)

What does she do now?

Perfect her style, do what she does even better, and wait for Serena to age out?
Start working on approach shots and getting to net?
Improve her serve?
Work on her clay court game?

When you're a defending slam champ, and the #1 ranked player in the world, the fact that one 30 year old player is better than you isn't cause for panic. But if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse.

What's an Azarenka to do?

Tenis Srbija Oct 7th, 2012 04:48 PM

Re: Where does Azarenka go from here?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volcana (Post 22291823)
Young, got the slam, got the #1 ranking, the basics are out of the way. In other words, she's Ana Ivanovic.

Jimmie48 Oct 7th, 2012 04:48 PM

I easily see her winning 5+ majors.

The only worry on her mind has to be Serena but she's getting ever so close to beat her these days..one day it will happen.

Sumyk is convinced that she still has lots of room to improve so why would we doubt him? The serve is obviously an aspect where she can gain a bit.

But overall, her future looks bright. She's set up to dominate women's tennis...she plays a full schedule but is smart enough to give her body a rest if needs be. She has all but one players completely covered and she has a great work ethic and doesn't allow her private life to mess with her career at all.

Unless some monster talent teen surfaces, I can see no current player that can come up and really challenge her.. the only player ahead of her is much older.

Mynarco Oct 7th, 2012 04:49 PM

win another slam, or YEC.

TheBoiledEgg Oct 7th, 2012 04:51 PM

Calling her Ivanovic :lol:
She far succeeded anything Ana ever did as a no1

Ana shat her pants worrying about Pts to defend :facepalm:

ShiftyFella Oct 7th, 2012 04:53 PM

tries to avoid sophomore slum next year and solidify herself as true Top4 player

Patrick345 Oct 7th, 2012 04:56 PM

Improve her serve, especially on the advantage side. That´s the last glaring weakness. Have more faith to incorporate the slice, dropshot and netattacks into her game. That would be the main things.

Mustafina Oct 7th, 2012 05:06 PM

Time for her to win a premier on clay and grass.

Lucemferre Oct 7th, 2012 05:08 PM

Let's not kid ourselves, she won't significantly improve anything. I'd say improve your serve but it's not realistic so I say don't fixt it if it ain't broke. She's fine. All she needs is maintain her current level and maximize her strengths. I don't believe in obsessing over weaknesses too much. Her serve is a weakness against who? Serena, Kvitova (hope she wakes up soon) and the occasional ball basher on a good day so it's not really a weakness. Her return is the best in the game in terms of consistency. She's like a female Djokovic except obviously less physically gifted. She is the most consistent on hard courts and was a game away from winning both majors on hard. She's on the right track.

StoneRose Oct 7th, 2012 05:11 PM

Vika >>> Ivanovic :lol:. What is she to do... improve her serve and continue like she does now. She's a great HC player, difference with Serena on this surface is there but it's not so vast. She'll win a truckload of slams there. Not so sure about grass (not a chance against Serena here) and don't think clay will bring her that much.

mb011 Oct 7th, 2012 05:11 PM

as much as I love Ana, Vika is far better then Ana in terms of post-slam-No1 results. consistent, and can only improve bit by bit, and Serena is bound retire before way before her (if Vika doesn't find a medicine for her before, which is not at all impossible)... so all in all looks like a bright future ahead of her, provided she stays injury-free...

Natural Joe Oct 7th, 2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

The distance between Azarenka and the only player better than her seems vast.
The distance between Azarenka and the next best player after her seems vast. (At least not on clay.)

What does she do now?

Perfect her style, do what she does even better, and wait for Serena to age out?
Start working on approach shots and getting to net?
Improve her serve?

When you're a defending slam champ, and the #1 ranked player in the world, the fact that one 30 year old player is better than you isn't cause for panic. But if you aren't getting better, you're getting worse.

What's an Azarenka to do?

Had she won four more points on her serve the distance wouldn't seem so vast by now. :hysteric: I think the biggest task for her is to finally overcome the 'obstacle' that is Serena because if she manages that she knows she can beat any other player on this planet (at least on particular surfaces). With that in her mind, I can see her achieving a lot in the future. Until then she'll probably win several tournaments where she won't have to face Serena which would be exciting as well of course. :D

ExXotikal Oct 7th, 2012 05:19 PM

I don't think she can do that much more than she does, contrary to Pova. Next season will be interesting, we'll see how Azarenka handles the pressure. That said, I wish her the best, I really enjoy seeing her play power players.

Hurley Oct 7th, 2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Where does Azarenka go from here?

Linz. Then Istanbul.

Nicolás89 Oct 7th, 2012 05:28 PM

There's a lot of improvement to be made, the serve specially, her right leg gets too tight at times if she could push through it more she wouldn't net so many serves, in her movement she could work on her flexibility maybe.