TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=468983)

TennisArt Sep 30th, 2012 01:35 AM

Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

If I were Serena I would skip Charleston and Madrid, but play Stuttgart, A Clay MM Tournament and Rome to get used to the red clay. Or maybe not play any clay court warm ups and come in to Paris with no pressure or expectations.

What do you all think would be the best strategy for Serena's 2013 Clay Court Season? Should she play the same schedule as she did this year or try something different?

Pump-it-UP Sep 30th, 2012 02:02 AM

Re: Serena's 2013 Clay Court Strategy

Same as this year. Charleston always puts her in good form and gives her a few weeks off afterwards to gear up for the European swing. Her game was in great form this year, it was just that her body was fatigued from R2 onwards in Rome and then she was a mental wreck at the French.

And hopefully next year she won't be screwed by scheduling in the Madrid/Rome double. She got a late start for her Madrid R1 because Vesnina was in the final of Budapest and that forced her to play for 6 days in a row. Then the following week she wasn't even given a bye in Rome (top 8 seeds got byes --- she was seeded #9 and didn't get a performance bye for making the semis of Madrid) and was expected to play another 6 matches in 6 days after having only gotten 1 day of rest. Next year it'll hopefully be a little less work for her to complete both events.

TennisArt Sep 30th, 2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pump-it-UP (Post 22259604)
Same as this year. Charleston always puts her in good form and gives her a few weeks off afterwards to gear up for the European swing. Her game was in great form this year, it was just that her body was fatigued from R2 onwards in Rome and then she was a mental wreck at the French.

And hopefully next year she won't be screwed by scheduling in the Madrid/Rome double. She got a late start for her Madrid R1 because Vesnina was in the final of Budapest and that forced her to play for 6 days in a row. Then the following week she wasn't even given a bye in Rome (top 8 seeds got byes --- she was seeded #9 and didn't get a performance bye for making the semis of Madrid) and was expected to play another 6 matches in 6 days after having only gotten 1 day of rest. Next year it'll hopefully be a little less work for her to complete both events.

Don't you think the surface of those two events does her a disservice though? As they play nothing like European red clay

englando08 Sep 30th, 2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisArt (Post 22259610)
Don't you think the surface of those two events does her a disservice though? As they play nothing like European red clay

Well everybody has to play Madrid and there is enough time between Charleston and the French to get used to Red Clay. She isnt the only one playing on the surface...

TennisArt Sep 30th, 2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by englando08 (Post 22259625)
Well everybody has to play Madrid and there is enough time between Charleston and the French to get used to Red Clay. She isnt the only one playing on the surface...

Then there is the problem of over playing. Clay court matches are longer and more grueling also.

duhcity Sep 30th, 2012 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TennisArt (Post 22259578)
If I were Serena I would skip Charleston and Madrid, but play Stuttgart, A Clay MM Tournament and Rome to get used to the red clay. Or maybe not play any clay court warm ups and come in to Paris with no pressure or expectations.

What do you all think would be the best strategy for Serena's 2013 Clay Court Season? Should she play the same schedule as she did this year or try something different?

Well skipping Madrid technically isn't an option, but it's not like Serena follows the scheduling rules if she doesn't want to.

But I completely agree that her main focus for the French warmup next year should be Rome. Even Stuttgart is an anomaly of clay.

homogenius Sep 30th, 2012 02:52 AM

she should play Miami, eventually Charleston (but it's useless as a preparation for the FO), train on red clay and play Rome.

Alarmed Sep 30th, 2012 03:07 AM

My prediction: She'll play the same schedule as this year. I know Charleston was a last minute decision after bombing out in the fourth round of the AO, and maybe she won't play if she goes all the way in Miami, but I think she had a great time there last year.

She should play Charleston, imo. She loves it there and the support she gets is unparalleled almost anywhere. Plus, she is defending champion so to skip it would seem silly. After that she has about a month off to get ready for the European swing.

Then she'll play Madrid and Rome.

I mean, she's played for 15(?) years now :lol: She's never really changed her schedule too much. What else would she play? Stuttgart? I find that unlikely.

TennisArt Sep 30th, 2012 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alarmed (Post 22259699)
My prediction: She'll play the same schedule as this year. I know Charleston was a last minute decision after bombing out in the fourth round of the AO, and maybe she won't play if she goes all the way in Miami, but I think she had a great time there last year.

She should play Charleston, imo. She loves it there and the support she gets is unparalleled almost anywhere. Plus, she is defending champion so to skip it would seem silly. After that she has about a month off to get ready for the European swing.

Then she'll play Madrid and Rome.

I mean, she's played for 15(?) years now :lol: She's never really changed her schedule too much. What else would she play? Stuttgart? I find that unlikely.

She mentioned that she wanted to play Stuttgart this year but could not because of Fed Cup

Alarmed Sep 30th, 2012 03:13 AM

She also said she wanted to play Beijing this year :lol: She would pick Charleston over Stuttgart any day of the year.

dencod16 Sep 30th, 2012 03:21 AM

There is no way she is going to play Stuttgart over Charleston. The problem why she got burnt out was she was playing a lot. And Madrid will go back to red clay this year so that will be a non-issue. i think she should play the same schedule.

Stamp Paid Sep 30th, 2012 03:28 AM

I think she should play Charleston, only because she loves it there and the fans love her there.
Play Madrid, Rome. She does not need to overly stress her preparation. Compete well in all events of course, but go into Roland Garros with an almost lackadaisical air. Thats the only way she will ever win RG again. :o

ziros Sep 30th, 2012 03:58 AM

There is no strategy,she is too old and slow and fat on clay,can't overpower opponents as easily

atominside Sep 30th, 2012 04:12 AM

Player Forum:rolleyes:

Pump-it-UP Sep 30th, 2012 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziros (Post 22259780)
There is no strategy,she is too old and slow and fat on clay,can't overpower opponents as easily

Yes, the top players have shown that speed is so critical to having success on clay in the post-Henin era. :rolls: