TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Why do girls miss so many simple balls? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=468734)

Navratil Sep 25th, 2012 07:49 AM

Why do girls miss so many simple balls?

Why do girls miss so many easy balls and have such a great problem to close out points? :help:

There is an anatomical reason why men hit harder and are more athletic but athleticism has nothing to do with easy put-aways: forehand in the half court, poor lobs or drop-shots ... :confused:

I've never seen a lower ranked ATP-player on Future-level miss so many simple balls like top female players! :lol:

Is it a mental thing?? Matter of concentration, self-confidence, believe???

Navratil Sep 25th, 2012 07:53 AM

Re: Why do girls miss so many simple balls?

I remember Chanda Rubin as such a great and gifted player but she played so risky that she missed so many huge chances! Did she just go for too much?

The level in women's tennis got so much better within the last years but watching Bojanovski e.g. reminds me of the old days. She's got a huge game for sure but she misses balls every non-professional male player on club level would kill! :D

metamorpha Sep 25th, 2012 08:02 AM

It can be combination of quick thinking, good anticipation (very prepared) and coordination. Safina used to be very awkward in front of the net, Chakvetadze as well. But Chris Evert is the most precise. Fluid and sure.

Of course nerve also plays a great role on some players. Novotna, for example :facepalm:

dencod16 Sep 25th, 2012 08:03 AM

because they become so lazy on easy balls or they try to do more in it, they don't completely hit the ball. It's not that shocking that they miss easy balls.

binky-GOAT Sep 25th, 2012 08:04 AM

Most female players have very little tennis skill, they only learn to hit shots from the baseline.

I think it's some kind of intelligence thing in our brains, men are just better at sports.

Jimmie48 Sep 25th, 2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asadinator (Post 22239636)

I think it's some kind of intelligence thing in our brains, men are just better at sports.

.. the fuck? :help:

The Witch-king Sep 25th, 2012 08:20 AM

they make more balls than they miss

GAGAlady Sep 25th, 2012 08:23 AM

Quote:

Most female players have very little tennis skill, they only learn to hit shots from the baseline.

It's true that women miss a lot more. It's not that there stupid its just that the men are much better at putting away balls. They just are, no need to bash the girls it's just a skill set the girls aren't on par with doIng.

And I also agree most club level guys are better at putting away mid court shots than most pro women that's totally fair assessment

dencod16 Sep 25th, 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navratil (Post 22239584)
Why do girls miss so many easy balls and have such a great problem to close out points? :help:

There is an anatomical reason why men hit harder and are more athletic but athleticism has nothing to do with easy put-aways: forehand in the half court, poor lobs or drop-shots ... :confused:

I've never seen a lower ranked ATP-player on Future-level miss so many simple balls like top female players! :lol:

Is it a mental thing?? Matter of concentration, self-confidence, believe???

Sorry, but guys miss a lot too with easy balls. Have you seen Federer shank easy balls, women rarely shank balls. They struggle to close out points because they don't hit the ball as hard as the men. it's not a gender issue with easy balls it's concentration issue. ANd why compare club and future payers, big difference if they hit the ball to the open court it is not sure that it will be a winner whereas in club and futures it will surely be a winner.

GAGAlady Sep 25th, 2012 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm X (Post 22239689)
they make more balls than they miss

Depends which girl. I've seen some shitty masses where u shake ur head and say. Man, my friend joe from the club wouldn't even miss that. And yes it is embarrassing ESP when women make the same amount of cash yet there skill set is clearly less.

valac222 Sep 25th, 2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

:eek: Not really brain thing, men are better due to physical things.

Quote:

Which is partly true. Girls start too early and simply dont have time to gain advanced skills (obviously not everybody).

Sgt.Timmykinz Sep 25th, 2012 08:49 AM

I think its because they try to go for too much to try and end the point with a winner. The men may take something off the easy putaway to make sure it goes in and then they prepare for their opponent to make a return shot. The women just don't seem to want to chase down a passing shot, running all the way to the back of the court, they'd rather finish the point then and there and so will sometimes go for too much.

August Sep 25th, 2012 09:04 AM

I think you can as well ask why female top players are more vulnerable against lower-ranked players than top male players.

ivanban Sep 25th, 2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by valac222 (Post 22239745)
Girls start too early and simply dont have time to gain advanced skills (obviously not everybody).

That doesn't make sense at all :tape:

supermod Sep 25th, 2012 09:37 AM

Everytime a female player has to do an overhead smash I hold my breath. :lol:

I think a lot of female players lack a bit of brain in certain situations. Like hitting an easy put-away directly to the opponent with an over-powered shot instead of playing a less risky shot in the other direction. Sometimes it seems a lot of players lack peripheral vision.

There are players like Errani who are more intelligent on court though.