TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Do you get why Lepchenko is almost Top 20?? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=468553)

Navratil Sep 21st, 2012 11:07 AM

Do you get why Lepchenko is almost Top 20??

Varvara Lepchenko started the season well outside the Top 100.

She played solid, came through a lot of qualifying tournaments. But still - I can't believe she's # 21!! :eek:

Her best results:

3rd Doha
QF Memphis
QF Madrid
4th French-Open
3rd Wimbledon
QF San Diego
3rd US-Open

Why is this enough for Top 20?? :confused:

Fantasy Hero Sep 21st, 2012 11:16 AM

Re: Do you get why Lepchenko is almost Top 20??

a lot of top 20 players from last year are/were injured and the ones of lower level barely ever make 2-3 good tournaments in a row. She's been solid on a mediocre level, which at the moment is enough for that.

Curcubeu Sep 21st, 2012 11:18 AM

Because she's beating players she is supposed to beat.

Wert. Sep 21st, 2012 11:43 AM

Beacuse everyone there sucks badly. :lol:

And FO R4 as well as W and USO R3 are solid results.

deliverance. Sep 21st, 2012 11:52 AM

It's surprising, but I don't mind about it. She's nice player with nice play. Good results in big tournaments helps her too :)

A-Bond Sep 21st, 2012 11:53 AM

I like Varvara but I'm also a bit confused about this. She was very very solid and consistent in the last few months, but she definitely lacks a standout-result. She didn't manage to beat Wozniacki in Montréal and she was wiped away when she played Kvitova in RG and Wimbly. If she manages to win Seoul, then I think her place in the Top 20 is well deserved.

But this area of the rankings is definitely weaker than before. You can already see this by Top 30 players like Kirilenko and Vinci in the Top 15.

Grigorpova Sep 21st, 2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A-Bond (Post 22224696)
I like Varvara but I'm also a bit confused about this. She was very very solid and consistent in the last few months, but she definitely lacks a standout-result. She didn't manage to beat Wozniacki in Montréal and she was wiped away when she played Kvitova in RG and Wimbly. If she manages to win Seoul, then I think her place in the Top 20 is well deserved.

But this area of the rankings is definitely weaker than before. You can already see this by Top 30 players like Kirilenko and Vinci in the Top 15.

Kirilenko has improved so much, she's rightfully placed in the top 15. :rolleyes:

SVK Sep 21st, 2012 12:15 PM

I was also surprised when I read few weeks ago that she is heading towards TOP 20 but nowadays you only need to be consistent, what Varvara definitely is and having also a bit of luck to good draws. Current randomness outside TOP 10-15 helps exactly to those kind of players who maybe hasn´t some outstanding runs in a few tournaments but they can take the advantage from draws and are consistent enough for a long time. Varvara started to play well already last year before RG and hadn´t any major slump since then. This pays more than beating several TOP players but losing then on X tournaments in R1.

Tennis Fool Sep 21st, 2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navratil (Post 22224477)
Varvara Lepchenko started the season well outside the Top 100.

She played solid, came through a lot of qualifying tournaments. But still - I can't believe she's # 21!! :eek:

Her best results:

3rd Doha
QF Memphis
QF Madrid
4th French-Open
3rd Wimbledon
QF San Diego
3rd US-Open

Why is this enough for Top 20?? :confused:

Doing 3rd round or better at three of the 4 slams is impressive... then three QFs and a SF on the tour...

ElusiveChanteuse Sep 21st, 2012 12:21 PM

Well, ask Ana as well.:oh: She's also top 20 with slightly better results.:oh:

Petronius Sep 21st, 2012 12:23 PM

Lack of depth in female tennis ?

Tennis Fool Sep 21st, 2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petronius (Post 22224878)
Lack of depth in female tennis ?

The opposite-- although Goerges is sucking right now.

sweetadri06 Sep 21st, 2012 01:17 PM

She's beating who she is supposed to beat, and the top 10-20 is very random/weak at the moment so it gives her the opportunity to make 3rd or 4th rounds of slams and QF of Premier/International tournaments. But she loses more often than not to better players.

dencod16 Sep 21st, 2012 01:31 PM

Actually she is top 20.
Reason why she is top 20 is because the others that did well in a certain slam are so inconsistent. like Makarova, Lisicki, Cibulkova, Clijsters, Wozniacki, and Kanepi.
and
the finalist of slams, premier 4 and premier mandatory featured the same people unlike previous years.
and
the gap between top 20 and 30 is just one premier 470 event so jumping from 32 to top 20 isn't that difficult.

Anabelcroft Sep 21st, 2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dencod16 (Post 22225126)
Actually she is top 20.

I think next week she will be at least...if she wins she will have the same amount of points as Petrova now has at 18!