Tennis Forum banner

After loss to Williams, Errani says she'd like to see 3-time US Open champ face men

11K views 101 replies 75 participants last post by  charmedRic 
#1 ·
#63 ·
lmao @ anyone thinking that Serena would be competitive against a top ATP 100 player

Absolutely moronic comment by Errani

Love Serena but I also understand the gap between men's and women's tennis. A few clips from a mixed doubles match doesn't prove anything.

#65 ·
Maybe some juniors

#71 ·
This was a positive comment from Errani. She like everyone on this board is familiar with the men's nonstop negative comments about all things related to the WTA tour. There is a poll on the men 's forum that says Serena could not beat a top 500 male player.

I am a member on the men's forum and I am so sick of their chauvinistic comments and biased attitudes towards all the women. If you think Tipsarevic is bad, then go to the men's forum. His opinions prevail over there.

#76 ·
I've seen topics like this come up before on this board and I find them incredibly insulting. For the record, I don't think Errani meant to offend Serena and taken at face value her comment is complimentary. That being said, I feel like it's ultimately a cop out. When someone beats you 1 and 2 and all you can do is sit there and contemplate who would be stiffer competition for her says something about you. It's not Serena's fault that she seems to beat players so handily as of late. She's playing with a renewed purpose in the twilight of her career and it is truly a thing of beauty to see. The women simply need to get better to catch up with her, that's the bottom line. The idea that Serena should play against men is ridiculous and it's just another dig at her. Was anyone having this conversation when Justine was decimating players left and right or when Azarenka had that impressive run at the start of the year? The minute Serena strings together some wins and utilizes her power game and godly serve all of a sudden she's too much for her contemporaries and would be better suited playing men, why is that? She has the same tools every other player on the WTA tour has, so why does this conversation come up? I don't want to think that there is a deeper rooted issue as to why she is always thrown into this conversation but ultimately there is. All these scenarios taking men's ranking and surface into account and saying she might win a few games are insane. Serena is a woman and plays woman's tennis. That is why there's 2 different tours, there's no grey area.

#87 ·
Where are all the usual suspects who come into these threads foaming at the mouth, shouting, "Serena couldn't even win a single point against the 1000th ranked male!!" and so on and so on... it's obvious to anyone who knows tennis that Serena's serve would cause plenty of problems for ATP players, and she would win some service games against them, although I don't think she could win any return games.

One point thats worth marking: McEnroe, Borg, and Connors did not serve as hard as Serena today. They topped out at 115, and 110 was a fast serve for them.

#89 ·
She'd probably get a game even against some top 100 players simply because it's hard to stay mentally focused for a double bagel win. Men are not used to playing all their return games with full intensity, and Serena has the serve to take advantage of that sort of lapse.

I think outside of the top 500, there might be some well-competed (by not necessarily competitive) sets, but the result will still be NID.

#98 ·
Trust me on this, #500 is the same as #1400. The only diff between top 20 and top 1000 is mental and confidence. The power and speed is pretty much the same. Do you think guys in the top 20 serve any harder than top 1400? they're just more consistent and mentally tough with their placement. But the power and speed is the same..in fact if anything the younger guys in college that are in the top 1400 are even quicker and faster than the older guys in the top 20.

I know it seems like Serena is GOAT out there but it's only because she's playing "other" women. But she won't fare well at all even with a top rank college player simply because she won't be able to handle the men's serve but importantly it's the quickness and speed of men's play that NO women can overcome at the moment. Maybe in the next century when the game continues to evolve, just maybe.

#101 ·
^ ^ ^ You have no clue about tennis. There's guys in the ATP top 50 like Olivier Rochus, Nishikori who don't have big serves and don't hit the ball hard nearly as some in the top 800 who have serves like Roddick and Isner ok do you understand??? GAME OVER!!! there's no chance for her to return 135+ miles serves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.