TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Is Serena the Only Heavyweight? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=467793)

lloyders76 Sep 7th, 2012 10:53 PM

Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

yet again i'm hearing commentators (eurosport) using the same old boxing analogy in referring to serena as a heavyweight and her opponent as light/middle etc

i fully recognise serena has more strength than most, but nevertheless, i've never heard anyone use this analogy while commentating on sharapova/kvitova dismantling an opponent

there are allusions here which i don't feel are entirely acceptable. tennis is not won by strength alone, yet even if it was, there are other physically imposing players

it feels it's a mainstay of commentators to continually refer to serena's physicality above her skills as a tennis player. is it her type of build which provokes this, or is it the persistent belief that she and venus are athletes first, tennis players second?

ShiftyFella Sep 7th, 2012 10:57 PM

Re: Is Serena the Only Heavyweight?

I think they referring to man like serving by Rena

Cosmic Voices Sep 7th, 2012 10:58 PM

it's her type of build that provokes the comments. and tbf the commentators are right.
masha is a different kind of heavyweight in the sense she's tall and gangly, whilst rena is quite stocky

Tennis Fool Sep 7th, 2012 10:58 PM

Not according to the USTA :tape:

Sassy-Na Sep 7th, 2012 11:00 PM

Little Jie said the same thing. :secret:

TheHangover Sep 7th, 2012 11:01 PM

isn't it a fact that she is an heavyweight compared to the other players? there is no need to be offended, she is not fat, it's her structure plus a lot of muscles

tennisbum79 Sep 7th, 2012 11:07 PM

We'll never know what their motivation is, there are always people (with different agenda) out there who will take and run with it in their intention to insult Serena.

dencod16 Sep 7th, 2012 11:15 PM

LOL, it's not an insult it's actually a praise, oh how people can just twist words. They said that she is like a good heavyweight against errani a good lightweight, because you don't really expect a lightweight to beat up a heavyweight now do you. It's like saying that it doesn;t matter how good errani plays Serena is just far better than her. It has nothing to do with weight.

lloyders76 Sep 7th, 2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHangover (Post 22168546)
isn't it a fact that she is an heavyweight compared to the other players? there is no need to be offended, she is not fat, it's her structure plus a lot of muscles

i thought i acknowledged that. sharapova and kvitova are considerably taller and not lacking in strength (sharapova in particular has put on a lot of muscle in her trunk and legs since her early days) yet i've never heard this analogy while they're wiping the floor with someone

i'm talking about the persistent insinuation that serena is more athletic than skilled

lloyders76 Sep 7th, 2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dencod16 (Post 22168683)
LOL, it's not an insult it's actually a praise, oh how people can just twist words. They said that she is like a good heavyweight against errani a good lightweight, because you don't really expect a lightweight to beat up a heavyweight now do you. It's like saying that it doesn;t matter how good errani plays Serena is just far better than her. It has nothing to do with weight.

there are many things she does better than errani, it's implying an unfair advantage, something not implied when any other physically imposing player is dominating, or am i wrong? is this analogy used elsewhere?

NashaMasha Sep 7th, 2012 11:24 PM

Heaviweight is not an insult , Mike Tyson was heavyweight, despite low % of fat and not being tall ... Same for Evander

Serena -heavyweight
Sharapova, Azarenka,Kvitova,Lisicki, Petrova - cruiserweight
Stosur, Li Na - super middleweight
Radwanska Kerber - light middleweight
Errani . Vinci - lightweight

tennisbum79 Sep 7th, 2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashaMasha (Post 22168730)
Heaviweight is not an insult , Mike Tyson was heavyweight, despite low % of fat and not being tall ... Same for Evander

Serena -heavyweight

Not quiet, the actual weight of the boxer comes into play.
Some boxers have to lose some pound to make weight, other have to gain weight to go to the next weigh class.

Are these case WTA players classification based on their power of their shots?
How is Stosur and Na li lower than Maria, Vika?

Cosmic Voices Sep 7th, 2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbum79 (Post 22168734)
and Ana?

headcaseweight

NashaMasha Sep 7th, 2012 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisbum79 (Post 22168734)
and Ana?

add her to Stosur and Na , but she is more and more becoming punchbag in this weight

lloyders76 Sep 7th, 2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NashaMasha (Post 22168730)

Serena -heavyweight

think you've missed the point, didn't say she wasn't strong etc, didn't say it was an insult in and of itself, nevermind