TennisForum.com

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/)
-   -   Will Sam Stosur have the nerve to beat Laura Robson? (http://www.tennisforum.com/12-general-messages/467466-will-sam-stosur-have-nerve-beat-laura-robson.html)

Ciarán Sep 2nd, 2012 11:59 AM

Will Sam Stosur have the nerve to beat Laura Robson?

Though she is the defending champion, our Sammy is just as famous for having as much spine as an invertebrate. Laura Robson has had two big wins in the previous rounds, has nothing to lose and will be playing without pressure. Sam on the other hand... How do you guys think events will unfold in this match and who will be the winner?

larsson Sep 2nd, 2012 12:02 PM

Re: Will Sam Stosur have the nerve to beat Laura Robson?

I think Laura's run will come to an end :(

mac47 Sep 2nd, 2012 12:04 PM

Laura has generated her own pressure for herself by beating other slam champs so that now she is expected to win.

It will not happen. Sam is playing awesome, and I like her chances against even Serena at this point, let alone a teenager.

binky-GOAT Sep 2nd, 2012 12:18 PM

Unfortunately, Sam will win easily.

Talula Sep 2nd, 2012 12:48 PM

It would be such a break through for Laura to take this, and it would quash the 'lucky run' naysayers. But I have a feeling Sam will pip her to the post. But I'll be ecstatic to be wrong!

Mary Cherry. Sep 2nd, 2012 12:53 PM

Yeah, and she'll do some more bad dancing afterwards

http://i.imgur.com/5uWxZ.gif

Tennisvampire Sep 2nd, 2012 01:02 PM

Sam is winning this, I can only assume that Laura is mentally and physically exhausted after such an amazing run... Plus Sam has been looking pretty good at this USO so far. Anyway, anybody saying that Laura's run is accidental and lucky is wrong IMO. She has steadily been improving over the years. She started from challenging JJ at Wimbledon 2010 (when Jelena was actually playing decently), Sharapova at Wimbledon 2011 and Olympics 2012 (she took them both to a tiebreak of one set in each of these matches), and she worked her way up to beating Kim Clijsters in two amazing, very close sets and Li Na by demonstrating tremendous mental stability. So, in my book, Laura is the leader of the new generation of WTA players, and the one to keep an eye on in the future :angel:

Lord Choc Ice Sep 2nd, 2012 01:05 PM

Sam will most likely win...but then again we saw what happened against Errani at RG. Total collapse :tape:.

Mr.Sharapova Sep 2nd, 2012 01:06 PM

Laura has never faced such a serve in her life so yeah pretty much she's screwed.

Waldo Sep 2nd, 2012 01:20 PM

Stosur is going down ! :armed:

bandabou Sep 2nd, 2012 01:27 PM

Stosur has two weapons that Robson hasn't faced yet: huge forehand and that kick-serve. But Stosur herself hasn't faced THOSE same weapons yet either..:lol:

I think Stosur wins in two tight-sets, but Robson could well surprise us.

Mr.Sharapova Sep 2nd, 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bandabou (Post 22132767)
Stosur has two weapons that Robson hasn't faced yet: huge forehand and that kick-serve. But Stosur herself hasn't faced THOSE same weapons yet either..:lol:

I think Stosur wins in two tight-sets, but Robson could well surprise us.

And you think she's gonna face them now against Laura :scratch:?

jetglo Sep 2nd, 2012 01:39 PM

If Laura was going to show signs of nerves, there's been plenty of opportunities for them to show in the last two games. Having a day off will have to help her too. I like Sam, but how can anyone be confident she'll hold it all together considering her track record? :shrug:

Chip. Sep 2nd, 2012 01:47 PM

It's Stosur. Who knows?

KIG. Sep 2nd, 2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Long and Hard (Post 22132782)
And you think she's gonna face them now against Laura :scratch:?

Well Robson's certainly got a good forehand, and her first serve can be brutally effective too, garnering her a first serve win percentage of over 80% against Na.

That said, I do find it hilarious that people are implying that Stosur is anything but the favourite to win here. I think Robson's losing, but I've been saying that since before she beat two seeded players in a row.