TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Gilmore Girls appreciation thread (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=466546)

fantic Aug 22nd, 2012 06:32 AM

Gilmore Girls appreciation thread

So there was an entire season of this series in dvd at the library so took it up, for a trial run.

So far sped through the early 2nd season and it's fantastic!

Especially the witty dialogues, I've watched some American dramas/comedies but this definitely tops the list. SOOO hilarious! Quoting so many Golden Age movies and literature is a bonus, too. Where else you see Mencken's Chrestomathy(did I spell right? :lol: ) get mentioned? :lol: For that matter, how about 'Sid & Nancy'? :lol:

Love the character's too, Lorelai is definitely the IT girl (and what a weird name :lol:) & Michel :bowdown: Kirk, Mrs. Kim..so many interesting characters.

And the caricature of Korean culture is hilarious :haha: I mean, of course East Asians are relatively more strict than the West but they're describing like...19th or early 20th century Korean attitude, at the latest 1970s or something :lol: And those actors are Japanese :haha: I really wonder what the creator thought :tape: Some Koreans ARE QUITE devout Christians though, nice catch on that :lol:

Javi. Aug 22nd, 2012 08:44 AM

Re: Gilmore Girls appreciation thread

God, I love this series so much. :hearts: I have the complete set and I've watched it several times. It's perfect to rewatch when I'm down
The Seasons from 2-4 are the best, imo, although First one is great as well.

My fave characters are Lorelai, Jess, Michel and Paris Geller but I love all of them actually.
The references to pop culture are throghout the entire series.

Although It's a shame that it loses its focus a bit in the last Seasons

fantic Aug 22nd, 2012 09:13 AM

lucky you! maybe I should get the whole box set too.
Yeah I dunno how they manage to reference all those pop culture in their dialogues, it's fantastic :hearts:
I'm so glad the library has all seasons in dvd :lol:

fantic Aug 22nd, 2012 09:28 AM

they also 'restored' the (huffle)puff's 'honor' by making it THE secret sorority at Chilton :lol: (compared to puff's lowish image imposed by Rowling :lol:)

The Witch-king Aug 22nd, 2012 09:51 AM

It was an entertaining show but I couldn't imagine watching more than one episode a year.

debby Aug 22nd, 2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malcolm X (Post 22067519)
It was an entertaining show but I couldn't imagine watching more than one episode a year.

What tv shows do you like ?

I loved this show ! Couldn't get past S2 (didn't find the episodes online with subtitles nor cheap DVDs :o), but I loved it ! God Dean was so fucking annoying :rolleyes: the dialogues are witty and funny, really a nice show to watch.

Alizé Molik Aug 22nd, 2012 12:45 PM

Shocked you did not know about this Fantic. The pop culture references (esp. classic film) are really great and they are all through every season.
I just finished watching season 7 (probably the 100th time I have watched all the seasons through) and I still find them entertaining. Things start to take a dive in season 6 but 1-5 is classic.

About the Korean thing: the Laine character is based off one of the producers on the show who was friends with the creator, so Laine/Mrs Kim is kind of an overdone version of that woman's upbringing so not really a comment on all Koreans.

Mary Cherry. Aug 22nd, 2012 01:20 PM

I love and miss the Gilmore Girls deeply :sobbing:

Paris Gellar is genius.

gc-spurs Aug 22nd, 2012 01:28 PM

I have two thoughts on GG:

FUCK DEAN
TEAM PARIS AS RORYS BFF

And the ultimate choice of my life Logan or Jess. I've never watched a show where I actually can't decide.

Mary Cherry. Aug 22nd, 2012 01:37 PM

**SPOILER ALERT**

Anyone else agree that Lorelai should've ended up with Christopher and not Luke? :oh:

Javi. Aug 22nd, 2012 01:40 PM

Yes, Dean is really annoying and the worst character of the show by far.
And Yes, Paris is great :hearts:
And among Jess/Logan, Jess all the way :rocker2: You know, the ratings of the show were increased significantly with the introduction of him at the beginning of Season 2.

Javi. Aug 22nd, 2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Cherry. (Post 22068001)
Anyone else agree that Lorelai should've ended up with Christopher and not Luke? :oh:

Be careful with the spoilers :scared:

And to answer to your question, obviously not. It was a forced relationship that never really worked (and that part was the weakest of all the show)

Mary Cherry. Aug 22nd, 2012 01:46 PM

Do they really count as spoilers if the show finished 5 years ago? :unsure:

Javi. Aug 22nd, 2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Cherry. (Post 22068019)
Do they really count as spoilers if the show finished 5 years ago? :unsure:

I know, and I've watched the seven seasons many times but this is for the people here, like the OP, who has only watched the first episodes.
I just think it's good to warn about the spoilers.

Blu€ Aug 22nd, 2012 02:34 PM

Hell yessssss team _ _ _ _ S_ O _ _ _ R all the way! I hateeeeeeeeeed the other one :o

Anyway the best character by far is Emily! That woman is something else :worship: