TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   Non-Tennis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   77-44, the law passes - marriage equality in New Zealand :) (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=464646)

kittyking Jul 26th, 2012 12:51 AM

77-44, the law passes - marriage equality in New Zealand :)

Firstly I need to point out something. I am what you may call a centrist-conservative, I've worked for the National Party before and I do support most of their policies.

Last year was quite a hard year for me. On February 22nd, there was a huge natural disaster here in Christchurch. Nearly 200 people lost their lives, including some in the building directly behind the building I was working in. My house was damaged, my work building was torn down, I even relocated from Christchurch for a few weeks as sewage was coming out my front door.

It was awful in so many respects, however it also enabled me to leave a relationship which was not working out for me.

A couple of months later I began to get my confidence back, and I met the man I love called Steven. July 19th was our first meeting/date, I saw him at a bar a couple of days earlier but was too shy to introduce myself so I found him on Facebook instead.

Our first date wasn't anything flash, it was just a coffee followed by dinner. Turns out we had a lot of similar interests, but it was his beautiful eyes that made me fall for him.

In September we kind of mutually decided that we were in love, and we arranged a trip to Europe. He also got a job in Wellington starting in February 2012. I had a full time permanent job in Christchurch that I'd worked at ever since I left school, I was a bit iffy about giving it up however a very special lady gave me the courage to take a risk and go for it.

November 11th, on my birthday - at 1:11pm he proposed to me. He said some sweet words, a couple of happy tears were shed and then he put a ring on my finger.

November 19th-early January. We went to Europe, visiting alot of our extended families in UK. Also went to Italy, France and Norway. It was a very special trip, however what I most enjoyed was spending the time with him. I know he's the one for me.

I'm now a student in Wellington, and my fiance works here. We've been living together for about six months now. I've met his family lots of time and hes seen quite a bit of mine too. We are quite the perfect fit.

... the problem is, we can't technically get married in New Zealand yet. While we can have a civil union, I want to be able to legally call him my husband without having any thoughts in the back of my head saying 'well actually he's just a partner'. Also we have talked about having kids in 5-10 years time.

This bill has just been pulled out of the ballot, it would allow couples of the same gender to wed.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10822370

The student branch of the National Party is expected to express their support behind it, I really hope this law passes.

I'm interested to hear your opinions on whether or not you think that Gay Marriage should be legal.

kittyking Jul 26th, 2012 12:53 AM

Re: Do you support Gay Marriage?

I'd also like to thank those who sent me positive messages both last year both after the earthquake, after my breakup with my ex, and after I became engaged - too many to name, but you know who you are *big kitty hug!*

Certinfy Jul 26th, 2012 12:54 AM

No, but then I am a very religious man.

dybbuk Jul 26th, 2012 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Certinfy (Post 21897380)

If Tomas would take your closeted ass you'd be out campaigning for gay marriage right now.

masha122 Jul 26th, 2012 01:04 AM

i have no problems with gay at all but i voted no because of my religious and personal belief ; a relationship and a marriage have to be between two people of different sex it's the most natural way ; don't get me wrong im not bashing or hating on gay people but this is just my opinion ; i have a lesbian friend and she never got upset with me because of my opinion we just respect each other

SantaBabyTennis Jul 26th, 2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Being religious and being against religious freedom aren't the same thing.

Mikey. Jul 26th, 2012 01:07 AM

Yes. In a legal sense alone, I don't see why anyone could really object. As long as both parties are consenting and no one is being harmed, then why not?

I grew up in a Christian community, went to a Christian school and have a lot of very religious Christian friends. After coming out to them recently a few of them have told me, irrespective of what their religious beliefs are they have no problem with having gay marriage legalised, giving gay people the rights they deserve under the law. I wish a lot more people could be that open minded and see things this way.

PS: Cute story kitty :lol:

WowWow Jul 26th, 2012 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dybbuk (Post 21897389)
If Tomas would take your closeted ass you'd be out campaigning for gay marriage right now.

:haha:

Novichok Jul 26th, 2012 01:11 AM

Yes. Gay/bisexual people should have the same rights as straight people. There's no good arguments against gay marriage anyway.

ampers& Jul 26th, 2012 01:38 AM

Not really.

Novichok Jul 26th, 2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miching~Mallecho (Post 21897478)
Not really.

Why not?

Inger67 Jul 26th, 2012 02:08 AM

Quote:

Seriously get out of here with that - you not fooling anybody with that, including yourself. You go from being gay one minute to being completely anti-gay the next..

delicatecutter Jul 26th, 2012 02:16 AM

Anyone who doesn't is evil in my book.

McPie Jul 26th, 2012 02:29 AM

go ahead, make my day :p

if it makes people more happier, then do it, even it's a little appreciation ;)

they are not much place for these people, and world say that everyone is equal, if you prevented it, then it is not :p

oh yes an opinion from straight :cool: (but cross-dressing :haha:) surprise? :p

Kairi Jul 26th, 2012 02:48 AM

Yes.
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by dybbuk (Post 21897389)

:hysteric::sobbing: