TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=462947)

DevilishAttitude Jun 30th, 2012 03:57 PM

Are today's WTA teenagers breaking through?
 
Here's a thread about the teenagers of today. I was wondering what all of your thoughts are on them?

Here are the ones inside the Top 250:

1994
Elina Svitolina
Anna Schmiedlova
Tereza Smitkova
Danka Kovinic
Nao Hibino

1995
Madison Keys
Victoria Duval
Yulia Putintseva
Carina Witthoeft
Sachia Vickery
Victoria Kan
Anett Kontaveit
Allie Kiick
Su Jeong Jang
Barbora Krejcikova
Rebecca Peterson
Irina Khromacheva

1996
Donna Vekic
Ashleigh Barty
Katerina Siniakova
Indy de Vroome
Elizaveta Kulichkova
Taylor Townsend
Louisa Chirico

1997
Belinda Bencic
Ana Konjuh
Francoise Abanda

Who are the potential world beaters or who are the also-rans and journeywomen?

Thoughts? :)

Those marked in Blue made Top 50.
Those marked in Red made Top 100.
Those marked in Green have been inside Top 100.
Those marked in Black are between #101-250.

duhcity Jun 30th, 2012 04:03 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Frankly, I see more out of the 3 1995 players than I do from any of 94/95

killerqueen Jun 30th, 2012 04:07 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Many of them will inevitably break into the Top 100 in the next year or two, but I'm really not sure which of them (if any) will go onto be future champions or even Top 10 players. A lot of that 93 group are already starting to become stagnate in the Top 200.

All of those players are decent with good junior careers, but have a hell of a long way to go before being any kind of significant threat at WTA level. Some of them hint at it, but there's nobody on the list really who already screams of having a massive future.

beanbean Jun 30th, 2012 04:09 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Well, Maria won her first GS Title when she was only 17...But now I don't think any of 1995 players will win any GS. Even 1993 players who are 19 have little chance to win.

DevilishAttitude Jun 30th, 2012 04:37 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by killerqueen (Post 21747353)
Many of them will inevitably break into the Top 100 in the next year or two, but I'm really not sure which of them (if any) will go onto be future champions or even Top 10 players. A lot of that 93 group are already starting to become stagnate in the Top 200.

All of those players are decent with good junior careers, but have a hell of a long way to go before being any kind of significant threat at WTA level. Some of them hint at it, but there's nobody on the list really who already screams of having a massive future.

It is interesting. While the more unfancied ones, such as Muguruza Blanco, Davis and Cepelova, have all made strides recently, beating players over 100 places higher than them and raised their rankings, the likes of de Brito and Garcia have completely stagnated despite high expectations.

The 1995 group looks the most promising to me but I guess it's a case of wait and see. Maybe there are other players who haven't been mentioned that may surprise us all.

Tennis Fool Jun 30th, 2012 05:02 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by beanbean (Post 21747371)
Well, Maria won her first GS Title when she was only 17 .

I wish people would drop this statement, like she was the first and youngest to ever win a Slam :rolleyes:

I NEVER hear of Serena, "Yeah, she won the US Open at just 17!"

Never heard this with Martina Hingis, "Wimbledon at 16!" or Monica "8 Slams by 19!"

Tennis Fool Jun 30th, 2012 05:06 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Isn't Jana Cepelova about Top 100 now?
Annika will soon break Top 100.

I would add Carina Witthoeft of Germany ('95) to this list.

rnwerner Jun 30th, 2012 05:07 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Barty has SO MUCH talent.
She can not show it in those Wild Card 1st rounds of Grand Slams but she is really a fantastic player.
KEYS is very good as well.

Garcia is overrated,
so is Larcher De Brito.
And Mladenovic has to prove herself with good results.
All three were overrated the last years.
None of them is in Top 80 so far.

C. Drone Jun 30th, 2012 05:38 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
so much easier being Merican/Brit/French/aussie junior. :spit:

18majors Jun 30th, 2012 05:40 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Where is Laura Robson?

MakarovaFan Jun 30th, 2012 05:42 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rnwerner (Post 21747753)
Barty has SO MUCH talent.
She can not show it in those Wild Card 1st rounds of Grand Slams but she is really a fantastic player.
KEYS is very good as well.

Garcia is overrated,
so is Larcher De Brito.
And Mladenovic has to prove herself with good results.
All three were overrated the last years.
None of them is in Top 80 so far.

Well Michelle has been quite close and with RD 3 of a GS, several top 20 wins and by far the most tour level wins she is the most "accomplished' of them

duhcity Jun 30th, 2012 05:45 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 18majors (Post 21747937)
Where is Laura Robson?

Did you read the post?

tennismaster8820 Jun 30th, 2012 06:22 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár (Post 21747925)
so much easier being Merican/Brit/French/aussie junior. :spit:

Exactly! :lol:
They can afford to fail many times and WCs still keep coming. :lol:

Tennis Fool Jun 30th, 2012 06:38 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tejmeglekvár (Post 21747925)
so much easier being Merican/Brit/French/aussie junior. :spit:

What's a Merican? :p

NA-GOAT Jun 30th, 2012 07:54 PM

Re: Is the 1993-1996 generation about to breakthrough?
 
yes sai sai is coming


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.