TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   General Messages (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   French Open Ratings (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=461617)

Marcell Jun 12th, 2012 11:55 PM

French Open Ratings

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012/06 ... inal-flat/

French Open: Rain-Delayed Menís Final Down From Last Year; Womenís Final Flat

Despite being interrupted due to rain, Sundayís French Open Menís Final earned solid numbers for NBC.

Before being rained out, the Rafael Nadal/Novak Djokovic French Open Menís Final drew a 2.4 overnight rating on NBC Sunday morning ó down 8% from Nadal/Federer last year (2.6), but up 50% from Nadal/Soderling in 2010 (1.6).

The complete telecast window on NBC earned a 2.0 overnight rating.

The 2.4 for Sundayís match is tied as the second-highest for the French Open Menís Final since Agassi/Medvedev in 1999 (4.0).

On Saturday, the Maria Sharapova/Sara Errani Womenís Final drew a 1.7 overnight, equaling both Na/Schiavone last year (1.7) and Schiavone/Stosur in 2010 (1.7).

The 1.7 is tied as the second-lowest for the French Open Menís Final since at least 1998. Only the í09 Kuzentsova/Safina final (1.4) drew lower numbers.

Serenus Christ Jun 13th, 2012 12:02 AM

Re: French Open Ratings

Wiggly Jun 13th, 2012 12:18 AM

Quite bizarre to see Sharapova's star power can't beat Schivone's finals.

ziros Jun 13th, 2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiggly (Post 21639970)
Quite bizarre to see Sharapova's star power can't beat Schivone's finals.

She was playing a nobody in most people's eyes

Annie. Jun 13th, 2012 12:40 AM

Not surprising. Who was in it that anyone would want to see?

Now look at the graph and look at which year had the highest ratings for the women:

Mynarco Jun 13th, 2012 12:45 AM

Oops. Misread it. I am surprised 2009 Men's Final was that low

ptkten Jun 13th, 2012 12:47 AM

I've said this in another thread. I'm not trying to bash Maria at all but her fans vastly overstate her popularity in the United States. The Williams sisters are certainly more controversial and therefore are less marketable to middle America than Maria is but many more people know them and will watch their matches than Maria's matches.

jameshazza Jun 13th, 2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annie R U OK? (Post 21640003)
Not surprising. Who was in it that anyone would want to see?

Now look at the graph and look at which year had the highest ratings for the women:

You surprised?

NadalSharapova Jun 13th, 2012 12:50 AM

Change the title to american tv ratings. I guarantee in britain if murray got to a final, the ratings will be the higest ever since he is british. Doesn't mean he is the most popular worldwide, duh.

ptkten Jun 13th, 2012 12:51 AM

Also, it's sad seeing how women's tennis used to be more popular than men's tennis in 2002-2003, and I'm sure it also got better ratings from around '98-01 too. I miss the golden age. Women's tennis' popularity has fallen so much in the last five years or so.

NicolŠs89 Jun 13th, 2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptkten (Post 21640024)
Also, it's sad seeing how women's tennis used to be more popular than men's tennis in 2002-2003, and I'm sure it also got better ratings from around '98-01 too. I miss the golden age. Women's tennis' popularity has fallen so much in the last five years or so.

An all american final (women's final) vs an all spaniard final (men's final), and you're shocked it got more rating?

NadalSharapova Jun 13th, 2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptkten (Post 21640024)

In america. In china I'm sure li na's french open win was the most watched tennis match ever.

Don't act as america is the only country. They have 2 old female tennis players and no male players of much ability

Annie. Jun 13th, 2012 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NadalSharapova (Post 21640036)
In america. In china I'm sure li na's french open win was the most watched tennis match ever.

Don't act as america is the only country. They have 2 old female tennis players and no male players of much ability

It's the only one that matters. :hearts:

ptkten Jun 13th, 2012 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatŪas. (Post 21640033)
An all american final (women's final) vs an all spaniard final (men's final), and you're shocked it got more rating?

No, but it was the same in '03 when it was Clijsters-Henin. Women's tennis got as good or better ratings than men's tennis in the United States from about '97-'04 regardless of whether Americans were playing or not.

Stamp Paid Jun 13th, 2012 01:04 AM

Well thats the full tea right there.