TennisForum.com  

TennisForum.com (http://www.tennisforum.com/index.php)
-   The Smashing Israelis (http://www.tennisforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   New Game - Who will last longer? (http://www.tennisforum.com/showthread.php?t=460279)

shirgan May 28th, 2012 01:07 AM

New Game - Who will last longer?

Seeing as lately, almost every week there are at least a couple of Israeli players participating in tournaments, I thought I could start up a game to guess which player lasts longer that particular week.
Doesn't matter if it's doubles or singles, what level of tournament it is or what stage in the draw it is - the guess should be about who will leave the tournament last.

It's just experimental and I don't know if anyone will be interested...
But if you think it's not too terrible an idea, please give it a try :wavey:

Also feel free to suggest rules for the game if you think they are necessary.

Added rules:

2012-05-28: Grand slam participant is considered as the winner of her tournament if she reaches the second week. The next week she will be counted from scratch as if participating in a brand new tournament
2012-06-27: Guessing should be made before any of the players main draw matches results are known.
2012-10-22: In case of a tie, the round reached will be used as a tie breaker (Final over SF for example).
In case there is still a tie, singles result is preferred over doubles result.
2012-10-25: ranking of players has changed from simple sort by "%right","number of correct guesses", to a point system that gives a slight push to a player who participated in more games. The equation for ranking points is:
"%right"+"number of total guesses"*2
the new sort is by "rank points","%right","number of correct guesses"

Options for this week:
Ofri Lankri (10k Uzbekistan, singles and doubles)
Keren Shlomo (10k Uzbekistan, singles)
Shahar Peer (Roland Garros Week I, singles and doubles)

shirgan May 28th, 2012 01:09 AM

Re: New Game - Who will last longer?

My pick for this week - Lankri

shirgan May 28th, 2012 01:14 AM

About Roland Garros - if Shahar moves to the 2nd week of the tournament she will be counted as the player who lasted longer, and then next week she will be counted from scratch as if participating in a brand new tournament.

shirgan May 30th, 2012 04:52 PM

Well my pick was pretty bad, Lankri lost in singles yesterday and in doubles earlier today.
Peer lost in singles and in doubles today as well, so the player who lasted longer this week is Actually Keren Shlomo.

In any case, despite 60+ views of this thread, no one bothered to respond, neither positively nor negatively...
so as it seems, no one really has any interest in this type of game.
Too bad, but that's life I guess....

Archer16 Jun 26th, 2012 09:19 PM

I haven't seen the thread at the time.
I have no problem playing with you.
The idea is nice, although the game has a defeatist core in it. Then again, so do the results :unsure:

I think we should post something, because I'm afraid otherwise our ongoing depression will put this entire sub-forum in jeopardy :[

P.S. if Shahar loses her opening match at Wimbledon, which seems likely, she's still this week's winner by default?

shirgan Jun 27th, 2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archer16 (Post 21713536)
I haven't seen the thread at the time.
I have no problem playing with you.
The idea is nice, although the game has a defeatist core in it. Then again, so do the results :unsure:

I think we should post something, because I'm afraid otherwise our ongoing depression will put this entire sub-forum in jeopardy :[

P.S. if Shahar loses her opening match at Wimbledon, which seems likely, she's still this week's winner by default?

lol. Not by default because Keren Shlomo played this week too at a 25k in Korea, but Peer is already the winner because Keren Shlomo lost her 1st round match yesterday, and her doubles match today.

shirgan Jun 27th, 2012 04:56 PM

^
Well on second thought not sure how "by default" is defined. maybe you're right it could be considered winning by default since she didn't even get to play and she's already the winner

shirgan Jun 27th, 2012 05:26 PM

Update: Shahar lost in singles today too but she's still in the doubles draw (hasn't played yet), so that makes her the clear winner this week lol!

shirgan Jun 27th, 2012 05:37 PM

Expected for next week (not yet confirmed):
Libi Mesh (10k Istanbul singles main draw, possibly doubles draw as well)
Keren Shlomo (10k Pattaya singles main draw, possible doubles draw as well)
Deniz Khazaniuk (25k Middelburg qualifying draw, possible doubles main draw as well)
Shahar Peer (if she manages to get to the 2nd week in Wimbledon in doubles)

Not sure about the rules but I would suggest guessing should be made before any of the players plays main draw matches.
So guessing will be probably open until Monday

Archer16 Jun 27th, 2012 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirgan (Post 21720312)
Update: Shahar lost in singles today too but she's still in the doubles draw (hasn't played yet), so that makes her the clear winner this week lol!

Amazing feat (or feet, to use a TF term) :bowdown:

As for next week I'll wait for the draws. Shlomo seems likely to win, she'll probably be a high seed and makes most of her points from such tournaments.

shirgan Jul 1st, 2012 12:59 PM

Updated options for this week (still awaiting qualifying draw in Middelburg):
Libi Mesh (10k Istanbul, singles)
Ofri Lankri (10k Istanbul, singles)
Keren Shlomo (10k Pattaya, singles and doubles)
Deniz Khazaniuk (25k Middelburg, qualies)

shirgan Jul 1st, 2012 08:48 PM

Well judging from the OOP for the different tournaments, I'm not sure we'll have a chance to know if Khazaniuk qualified before any of the other players 1st round results are known, so I'm going to make my guess now:
I'm opting for Lankri to last the longest, even though she's not participating in doubles draw.

Archer16 Jul 2nd, 2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirgan (Post 21753338)
Well judging from the OOP for the different tournaments, I'm not sure we'll have a chance to know if Khazaniuk qualified before any of the other players 1st round results are known, so I'm going to make my guess now:
I'm opting for Lankri to last the longest, even though she's not participating in doubles draw.

It's a toss-up between Shlomo and Lankri. I think, although not sure yet, that Ofri is already the better player.
Going by the rankings the Thai 10K is much harder, but those Far East rankings are often skewed (India being a prime example, but Japan is not far behind), so I guess both tournaments are pretty much the same level.
Therefore I'll stick to Keren after all, because she's doing a bit better in doubles than in singles so there's a definite chance this will be the decider.

P.S. Ofri even being an option this week must have been a 91st minute decision - she's nowhere to be found on the acceptance lists of Istanbul. Seeded #1 in qualies and then #4 in the MD :lol:
For this kind of tournament, she's probably a hot commodity (in terms of crowd interest) :cool:

shirgan Jul 2nd, 2012 04:32 PM

Update:
Libi Mesh is out after losing in the 1st round
Lankri won her 1st round match
Shlomo didn't play yet
Khazaniuk qualified and is in the singles and doubles maindraws

shirgan Jul 2nd, 2012 04:34 PM

About Ofri Lankri - Meelis said her status is called "on site alternate"
http://www.tennisforum.com/showpost....8&postcount=14